Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 minutes for Breezy today. He did awesome!

The other day I asked him to trot and he didn’t pay me any attention. I said trot and I clucked again, I got nothing but a walk. I got my whip 😁 and gave him one good SMACK!! he took off into a trot 🤣🤣 not happy to be whacked 🤣🤣…. Then wouldn’t stop trotting 🥳🥳🥳 So today when I asked for a trot he had no problem trotting 🤣🤣🤣 he is too smart for his own good 😜

The weather isn't always very conducive to be able to take the littles out for a drive in the winter. We get a lot of snow and it quickly gets too deep. But I did get Jasmine out for a drive, and her friend One-Eyed Willy went out with his people and the toboggan too! If we're logging time, I guess I'd get about 30 minutes. And it was great!

Attachments

• Jasmine Drive Winter.jpg
    Jasmine Drive Winter.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
35 minutes ground driving billy. We went to a neighbor's yard to try some new obstacles. He opened his big trailer so billy went up the ramp into the trailer. He even backed out. He stood patiently while we chatted. He did very well. I want to put him in the jerald cart but i want someone with me. Just need to do it. Our weather has been ideal

I’m loving the Equilab app! Here are our times so far for Jan:

Stormy
Jan 1: 31 minutes
jan 8: 20 minutes
Jan 11: 32 minutes
Jan14: 27 minutes
Jan 17: 24 minutes

Breezy
Jan 2: 15 minutes
Jan 5: Ground driving 30 minutes
Jan 7: 20 minutes
Jan 9: 23 minutes
Jan 13: 30 minutes
Jan 15: 24 minutes
Jan 18: 23 minutes

It was so beautiful on Saturday! And the snow on the field was just right to make Phillippe work, but not overwork! We had a lovely drive around. My friend is wanting to get a toboggan set up for herself so we can go out together!

I drove Phillippe for about 45 minutes. <3

Attachments

• Phillippe January.jpg
    Phillippe January.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Phillippe jingle.jpg
    Phillippe jingle.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
How do you keep your sled from tipping over? Or maybe it doesn't tip??? I have an otter sled and shafts, but it flips on anything other than a straight line or very (very!) gradual turn. My hubby keeps tinkering with it but we've come up with no solutions.

It was so beautiful on Saturday! And the snow on the field was just right to make Phillippe work, but not overwork! We had a lovely drive around. My friend is wanting to get a toboggan set up for herself so we can go out together!

I drove Phillippe for about 45 minutes. <3
You drive your donkey!!!!?? My 2, which I've had for almost 12 years are the sweetest things ever, but I can't imagine getting them to drive. I am so impressed and jealous.

I got brave today and put Billy in the Jerald by myself. I walked behind for the first little while; not sure how many years it's been since he was driven in a cart. I've done the sulky but putting a whole harness made me a little nervous. After walking behind i got in and he did great. We just stayed in the yard. He did try a little bucking and balking, but just a couple of taps with the whip and stern "walk up" and he did fine. Forgot to time us. Maybe 20-30 minutes. Forgot to put his ribbon on him, too. Next time.

Attachments

• IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I used to take my dog Buddy on my bicycle. Now I'm trying to take Pepper on the cart (the dog bed doesn't fit on my new electric bicycle). She was not happy to go. She screamed and howled the whole two miles. Dapper Dan paid her no mind, but just went on his way. I'm going to keep taking her until she gets used to it.
We actually drove 50 minutes, but I bet I spent 30 minutes raking enough mud off his coat to use the harness. And then getting enough mud off his feet to get the boots on over all his hairy legs. It was quite the ordeal. But we got going at last. It was pretty cold, but we had a great drive. Next time I will wear ear plugs so Pepper's yowls don't bother me.
Isn't the 2022 ribbon gorgeous?

Attachments

• pepper in cart.jpg
    pepper in cart.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 0
DD looks good in orange! Pepper does look a little dubious about her new "ride", did she sit still?
No. She was in a harness or she would have been over the side. She doesn’t like to leave home or have new experiences. She is still a puppy.
Yes, the orange us beautiful.

You drive your donkey!!!!?? My 2, which I've had for almost 12 years are the sweetest things ever, but I can't imagine getting them to drive. I am so impressed and jealous.
The ones I've had are actually quite natural at it. Phillippe, the one I have now, is probably the least bold about it. The first one just tended to want to be ahead of me and long lining came quickly. He was bold enough that dragging things never bothered him and even my daughter sitting on him was of no concern. That one (Pedro) liked to pull and go to work. Phillippe is a lot more sensitive and reactive, not as confident, but he's coming along. It's a riot, so much fun!

How do you keep your sled from tipping over? Or maybe it doesn't tip??? I have an otter sled and shafts, but it flips on anything other than a straight line or very (very!) gradual turn. My hubby keeps tinkering with it but we've come up with no solutions.
Yes, if I'm going over a slope or a ridge, I have to change my balance to compensate. I'm sitting on a straw bale in the sled. They're really popular setup up here, but you're right, they're not ultimately that sturdy.

I took Breezy to the park again yesterday, he did great! Same park as the other day but different things going on. He is much more expressive than Stormy. We have some really bad weather moving in this coming week, so I don’t know how much I’ll be able to drive 😝…. Maybe I’ll be able to go sledding 🤞

Stormy
Jan 21: 25 minutes

Breezy
Jan 21: 36 minutes
Jan 22: 27 minutes
Jan 22: 28 minutes
Jan 27: 35 minutes

OMG! This was me and Stormy‘s first time sledding and I couldn’t stop squealing like a 10 year old school girl! 😍😍

I did finally figure out I could sit all the way back in my sled for a much more comfy drive. 😍😍
A15FD147-AABD-4E12-8AE0-E2A5BAA6C41A.jpeg
I didn’t get Stormy use to the sled or anything. I just jumped right in and away we went! He handled it like a champ 😍😍

Last edited:
OMG! This was me and Stormy‘s first time sledding and I couldn’t stop squealing like a 10 year old school girl! 😍😍

I did finally figure out I could sit all the way back in my sled for a much more comfy drive. 😍😍
View attachment 49242
I didn’t get Stormy use to the sled or anything. I just jumped right in and away we went! He handled it like a champ 😍😍

Jealous! We just got a thin sheet of ice. No fun!

Latest posts

Back