Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another beautiful weekend in the great white north! It's amazing how much snow has already melted off. It will get cold again, but I'm worried that there isn't a whole lot more to melt! The field was no problem for the littles to go toodle around in with me and the toboggan.
Saturday I was out with Phillippe for 45 minutes.
Sunday I had Jasmine out for 45 minutes and then Phillippe was another 30 minutes.

Donkeys are stronger than horses - known fact. However, mine seems to believe that "WORK" is not something donkeys should do. While Jasmine, the mini pony (who is 36" and Phillippe is 34") was game to go zipping all over the field - big trots and canters all over, Phillippe could barely muster a little jiggity jog with a lot of encouragement! Jasmine was a blast! So much fun! Phillippe just makes me happy by existing so the fact that he'll pull at all just ups the awesome.

The weather here lately has been cold, windy, moist, and generally unusable for hobby driving. I can barely get the horses dry long enough to brush them good. I'm longing for a few days of warm, sunny weather to work with them. We did do ground exercises a couple of times, but not enough to brag about.
Billy's pasterns (ankles?) click. I asked the vet about it but he was not concerned. Said next time he comes in for teeth they might consider xrays. He asked if his head bobbed at the trot, or other signs of pain. I do not notice anything that says "I hurt", so I will wait for next appointment. What say you all about that? He is 17.

My Arab had hind fetlocks that clicked, his whole life. He did ultimately get hip arthritis in his late teens but I doubt it was in any way related to the clicking. He had several sets of hoof X-rays during his life that included the fetlocks and there was no arthritis or ringbone or anything there. Just a ligament clicking I guess?

My Arab had hind fetlocks that clicked, his whole life. He did ultimately get hip arthritis in his late teens but I doubt it was in any way related to the clicking. He had several sets of hoof X-rays during his life that included the fetlocks and there was no arthritis or ringbone or anything there. Just a ligament clicking I guess?
Good to know! Thanks for your comment.

50 minutes for Dapper Dan today. He was feisty. A little on the cool side but not wind; ideal weather for a furry yak. Pepper went along in her padded seat; nice to have her along for the ride. She needs no restraint; she just hops in.
Finally able to brush both boys good and give them a look over. I need to weigh them; Dapper Dan may be losing a little weight, which probably isn't a bad thing. But I need to keep an eye on him.

I'm on a roll my friends!!
Saturday Phillippe and I did 45 minutes and Jasmine and I did 30 minutes of driving. There's very little snow left on the field with very unseasonably warm temperatures. But there's still too much snow for me to put them to the cart rather than the toboggan - unless I pull the fenders off the cart. Not sure what I want to do there...

Anyways, Happy Monday all!

Hi again!
What a great weekend. We attended a driving clinic on Sunday and I got SO MUCH out of it! Phillippe and I spent 6 hours learning about harness, fit, ground driving techniques, bitting, and driving put to cart. I got through to my beloved bully that he actually can stand still without dragging me all over hell's half acre. My bonkey now stands politely when I ask for a whoa in the lines. He was confident and cooperative navigating obstacles and gates. Huge win for me! And I did end up pulling the fenders off my cart after all.

At the clinic, the instructors gave a lot of feedback about harness and vehicle quality and fit. For those with the common, small easy entry vehicles and entry-level leather harnesses, there was a lot of concern. I knew my harness would pass muster, but I was worried about my easy entry. Fortunately, it's a more substantial size - better fitted to a large mini/small pony rather than the tiny carts better suited to dwarf minis or goats. The only thing to change out is the spoke tires. I'm very interested in learning about driving sports that are donkey-suitable now!

Attachments

• Phillippe Willy Clinic.jpg
    Phillippe Willy Clinic.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend Standards E 🥳🥳🥳 Sounds like you got far with your bonkey 😁🤣🤣
My bonkey now stands politely when I ask for a whoa in the lines.

It rained all morning so I wasnt able to drive the bike, too muddy 😝 Its been awhile since I’ve taken Stormy skating so I decided to give it a go. OMG! I am so glad I did! He loves skating sooooo much better than the bike. I think I might have found his niche! We had an absolute blast!! Can’t wait to do it again! All this little boy needs is a halter, no bridle or bit. He did fantastic! I would never try skating with my “Wild Child”…. But Stormy was a dream 😍😍

2CF1B6FA-AB2F-4262-BE78-632A378A270E.jpeg

It rained all morning so I wasnt able to drive the bike, too muddy 😝 Its been awhile since I’ve taken Stormy skating so I decided to give it a go. OMG! I am so glad I did! He loves skating sooooo much better than the bike. I think I might have found his niche! We had an absolute blast!! Can’t wait to do it again! All this little boy needs is a halter, no bridle or bit. He did fantastic! I would never try skating with my “Wild Child”…. But Stormy was a dream 😍😍
That's awesome! So cool! I wish I could ski, Skijoring looks like a blast, but I haven't got that kind of balance and coordination. Are you completely free or do you have some sort of lines attaching you to Stormy?

Hi again!
What a great weekend. We attended a driving clinic on Sunday and I got SO MUCH out of it! Phillippe and I spent 6 hours learning about harness, fit, ground driving techniques, bitting, and driving put to cart. I got through to my beloved bully that he actually can stand still without dragging me all over hell's half acre. My bonkey now stands politely when I ask for a whoa in the lines. He was confident and cooperative navigating obstacles and gates. Huge win for me! And I did end up pulling the fenders off my cart after all.

At the clinic, the instructors gave a lot of feedback about harness and vehicle quality and fit. For those with the common, small easy entry vehicles and entry-level leather harnesses, there was a lot of concern. I knew my harness would pass muster, but I was worried about my easy entry. Fortunately, it's a more substantial size - better fitted to a large mini/small pony rather than the tiny carts better suited to dwarf minis or goats. The only thing to change out is the spoke tires. I'm very interested in learning about driving sports that are donkey-suitable now!
And indoors, too! Was he the only donkey? Bet he got a lot of donkey love.

That's awesome! So cool! I wish I could ski, Skijoring looks like a blast, but I haven't got that kind of balance and coordination. Are you completely free or do you have some sort of lines attaching you to Stormy?
I am completely free. You see the last pink strap just laying on his back? That is what I hold on to. It puts me along side of Stormy, not all the way behind him (which is what i wanted). So I can let go and just skate beside him if need be. The black rope in my hand is his lead rope. I’ll make some videos of us skating real soon. 😍

And indoors, too! Was he the only donkey? Bet he got a lot of donkey love.
He actually was one of three miniature donkeys! My friend (barn owner) has two matching pinto miniature donkeys named Bramble and Berry. Bramble is the reason I got interested in donkeys myself. He's a love, darling, so fun! Those two did ground driving as a team (have hitched as a team several times) and then Berry got hitched to a K-bike and had a merry time! But yes, there is no lack of novelty with the long ears!

Well, Ali finally decided to try driving her Jasmine pony again. I had her all hitched up and Ali was hanging around and even put on her helmet and I could tell she was talking herself into trying to take the pony out. She asked me if she could just try a quick go-round and I handed her the reins. Away she went! She even picked up her 5-year-old cousin and took her out for a ride with them!

I got to toddle the pony around for a whopping 15 minutes to cool her out!!! I think I've lost my ride! But I'm thrilled that Ali's decided to try driving Jasmine herself again. She's such a fun, game pony to drive!

Well, Ali finally decided to try driving her Jasmine pony again. I had her all hitched up and Ali was hanging around and even put on her helmet and I could tell she was talking herself into trying to take the pony out. She asked me if she could just try a quick go-round and I handed her the reins. Away she went! She even picked up her 5-year-old cousin and took her out for a ride with them!

I got to toddle the pony around for a whopping 15 minutes to cool her out!!! I think I've lost my ride! But I'm thrilled that Ali's decided to try driving Jasmine herself again. She's such a fun, game pony to drive!
Sounds like a nice, fun day. Nice job Ali!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend Standards E 🥳🥳🥳 Sounds like you got far with your bonkey 😁🤣🤣

View attachment 49393
How do you skate?

Latest posts

Back