Whats your worming schedule?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We worm with ivermectrin every other month. November is the only difference, we do the Gold wormer. Our breeder is the one who showed us this schedule and her horses have clean fecals at every test. Her vet, who is now my vet, is very happy and a bit surprised with the results. But clean fecals and very healthy coats and horses dont lie.

And I live in East TN.

I'm using the same program I used out in Colorado still.

January - Ivermectin

March - Anthelcide EQ

May - Ivermectin

July - Panacur

September - Quest (Ivermectin for young, underweight, debilitated, or Cushings horses)

November - Strongid

I generally use "Golds", ie with Praziquantel, when available during months with Quest or Ivermectin.

Most mini people do not use Quest on miniature horses due to their low fat levels. Horses with too little fat can release the drug into their system too quickly, resulting in an overdose. This overdose can take place even though the horse is dosed correctly.

Edited to add:

Fecals CAN lie... at least, they can not tell the truth. Its kinda like the saying, all ponies are horses, but not all horses are ponies... A "dirty" fecal means the horse has worms, but a clean fecal does not mean that the horse is NOT infected. ALL horses have worms... EVERY SINGLE ONE. The key is keeping them under control.

Last edited by a moderator:
All horses under 14 months of age get wormed on the first of every month. All horses over 14 months of age get wormed on the first of every other month.

Here is what i use for my sr horses ...its simple to follow

January-Ivermectin

March-Strongid

May-Ivermectin

July-Panacur

September-Ivermectin

November-Equimax

September - Quest (Ivermectin for young, underweight, debilitated, or Cushings horses)
Nathan, im not sure if you are aware of this but Quest is not safe to use on miniatures ..i have heard many many horror stories ..do NOT use quest.

All horses under 14 months of age get wormed on the first of every month.
Nathan, im not sure if you are aware of this but Quest is not safe to use on miniatures ..i have heard many many horror stories ..do NOT use quest.

Most mini people do not use Quest on miniature horses due to their low fat levels. Horses with too little fat can release the drug into their system too quickly, resulting in an overdose. This overdose can take place even though the horse is dosed correctly.
You also said you worm monthly... what do you do in the off months?

Nathan, i worm JR horses under 14 months of age on monthly rutine (like most others i have noticed do). The schedule i posted was my Sr horses bi monthly worming schedule.

I keep it simple. I worm when they get their feet trimmed every 8 weeks. I use Ivermectin mostly but once or twice a year I'll use Strongid or Panacur. The foals get wormed monthly starting when they're 4weeks old with Strongid(I also trim their feet monthly along with the horses I'm showing).

Nathan, i worm JR horses under 14 months of age on monthly rutine (like most others i have noticed do). The schedule i posted was my Sr horses bi monthly worming schedule.
Ah, that makes sense :p I was a little confused what you meant. With the youngsters between ages 3-12 months we wormed monthly with a mild wormer like Panacur or Strongid, then shifted to the bimonthly after that, very much like yours.

I deworm foals every month, up to 1yo, alternating between ivermectin and panacur.

For 1yo - adults, I deworm every other month with Ivermectin. In the spring, I will use either Equimax or Ivermectin Gold vs. plain Ivermectin.

I live in Virginia, USA.

The ivermectin brand I use is Bimectin. It is a clear gel (NOT to be confused with Quest) and is apple flavored. It is the same concentration as any ivermectin brand, is very affordable ($3/tube) and my horses LOVE the taste making deworming even easier.

If you worm at anytime using only Fenbendazole in a single dose you are leaving your horse open to an infestation.

There is NO point in rotating between wormers aimlessly.

Ivermectin has no known resistance in horses.

Worming more than every six weeks (I prefer as is written on the package, every eight weeks) can cause problems of it's own.

Moxidectin can has and will kill a Miniature Horse and even a full size horse even when given at the correct dosage.

(And yes, I have used Moxidectin myself before I knew this and had no problems. I got away with it, lucky me)

Ivermectin can be used all year round, it is the safest and the most efficient chemical on the market.

Everyday wormers have been shown to build up resistance to some types of worms.

Wherever you are located you should do the Fenbendazole five day in Fall and Spring.

You should consult your Vet or Ag Agent as to the correct time to worm with Praziquantel for Tapeworms, in your area.

PLEASE take the warning on Fenbendazole (Panacur) to heart, it is NOT an efficacious wormer used on it's own.

It is only effective when used as a first wormer in foals (I do them at ten days) and as a five day wormer to get encysted small strongyles.

There is plenty of research that shows there is no need to rotate wormers, and almost no research showing that rotating does make a difference.

Daily dewormers only work if the entire barn is on it. It is useless if only one animal uses it. There are benefits though. Strongid has a program where if you use their product they will pay for certain(not all) colic surgeries(up to like 5k or something) I don't know the specifics but a friend uses the program.

We use Ivermectin every other month. I live in Maine but my horse lives in New Hampshire.

There are plenty of "right" ways to do it. Lots of different fancy and complicated plans etc etc. If your horse is healthy and isn't infested you are probably doing just fine
default_smile.png

I keep it simple. I worm when they get their feet trimmed every 8 weeks. I use Ivermectin mostly but once or twice a year I'll use Strongid or Panacur. The foals get wormed monthly starting when they're 4weeks old with Strongid(I also trim their feet monthly along with the horses I'm showing).

We do the same......except for a foal's first worming we tend to use Panacur.

I do believe in rotating wormers. No single wormer kills all the different kinds of worms that infest horses. Here in Fl our bot season is a lot later than the rest of the coutnry. I worm my foals every 30 days from 8 weeks on. I rotate them between safeguard, zimectrin and equimax. My adult horses are rotated as well but only wormed every 8-10 weeks. During the cooler drier season here I don't worm my adult horses as often as I do during the hot, very wet (this year) summer months.

Hey, well for me I worm every 2 months for horses over a year, and every month for them under 12 months.

I do Jan-Ivermectin

Mar- Pancur

May-Ivermectin

July- Strongid

ditto ditto ditto, just keep the rotation going with Ivermectin in there every other time. However I only use Pancur like once a year, as I have heard about the heart problems.

Then ones under 12 months have Ivermectin up until they reach over 12 months.

Thats just what we do, and seems to so far be effective.

We are in Western-TN

Mine get wormed every three months with Ivermectin. Then they get dewormed in the fall with Eqvalan Gold, it gets the ones the ivermectin didn't.

I rotate de-wormers monthly using Zimecterin, Safeguard and Strongid. I live in Florida.

Ivermectin has to be used every EIGHT weeks to be efficient.

Fenbendazole (Panacur/Safeguard ) which is not and efficient wormer in one dose has a life of only six weeks.

Please be aware of these things, it can make a HUGE difference.

Wherever you are located, there is NO need to "rotate" wormers, what you have to do is use the chemical that removes the specific worms at a specific time.

If you use only Praziquantel you will kill Tapeworms but nothing else.

If you use only Fenbendazole....well, in one dose you will kill roundworms, that is about all, really, and adult animals should not have them in any number.

In a five day dose Fenbendazole will kill encysted small strongyles, and roundworms.

Then you need to use Ivermectin after ten days to get "everything else"

I have done my research off the web, the information is there for anyone to read......

Maybe one way to look at the use of some of the more "minor" dewormers, the ones that only get one or two things, is like the difference between wiping down the kitchen counter with bleach, or just tap water...

Latest posts

Back