Whats your New GREAT ideas...................

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Trystan has gone through 7 balls so far...... so I figured out how to make a GRAIN SCENTED HOMEMADE BALL (its the size of a beach ball) and its indestructible, and the BEST part it was FREE!

Rolls GREAT, can be laid on, picked up and thrown, kicked etc. etc. etc. I watched him play with it for over an hour..

So I made one for my gelding and mare they also loved them.

You won't believe what its made out of......................nylon grain sacks.

DSC02480-1.jpg

Edited to add

For those of you that are going to try this I just thought of an easier way to close it, sew a hem at the top of the bag and string the balers twine through it, all you have to do then is pull it closed and tie a knot and it would also make it lay flatter and roll even better.

WARNING please make sure that your ends are tucked in, if they are not hemmed, so that the nylon cannot be injested by your mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trystan has gone through 7 balls so far...... so I figured out how to make a GRAIN SCENTED HOMEMADE BALL (its the size of a beach ball) and its indestructible, and the BEST part it was FREE!

Rolls GREAT, can be layed on, picked up and thrown, kicked etc. etc. etc. I watched him play with it for over an hour..

So I made one for my gelding and mare they also loved them.

You won't believe what its made out of......................nylon grain sacks.

DSC02480-1.jpg
Now THATS THINKING !! I LOVE IT

How did you seal it shut? What is it stuffed with? It is very cool!!! Do you have pictures of them playing with it?

I stuffed it with more nylon grain sacks. I was cleaning the barn and thought what the heck am I going to do with 5 bags full of grain sacks, well you guessed it I used them all.

I did this by myself but would be MUCH easier with 2 people.

1. Get FRESH grain sacks (for the smell)

2. Turn 1 inside out

3. PACK 4 to 6 inside out grain sacks into first one so that it fills up a little less than 1/2 the bag.

4. Twist it shut take remaining tail and put "ball" into it.

5. Take remaining tail fold edges under and gather and tie tightly with balers twine.

Sorry no pictures.

I love it. I have scads of those silly bags stored. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away but had no uses for them so I just stored them . Occassionally a city friend would want some compost for there garden and I would fill a sack for that, but this idea rocks!

Whitney, you are SO clever!!
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks for sharing your idea!!!

That's hilarious!!! What will I wear???
default_new_rofl.gif

Great idea. I can't get any of my minis to play with thier balls. Have to try this. Maybe they will play.
default_biggrin.png

ok susanne thats even MORE creative than my idea PICTURES PLEASE!

We always turned ours back into the feed company. They gave us 25c for each one....

Now our stuff comes in paper.... bummer.

lucy

How very smart, didn't cost anything and its so simple to make, going to make one for my horses.

That ball is a great idea. If my feed didn't come in paper my lil ones would have to have one.

Got a chuckle out of Susanne's "what will I wear" comment. It definitely brought back memories. Am I the only one who remembers wearing clothes made from chicken feed sacks? When we needed feed my Mom always went with my step-dad so she could pick up the fabric pattern she wanted. Then she would pick up buttons and a bit of ric-rac or ribbon that matched for trim. Ahhhhh the memories.

Latest posts

Back