What's your favorite joint supplement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I would like to get somethings ready for Sonny and into his system this fall so he will have an easy winter. He is a lucky guy. He doesn't show any outward symptoms of artheritis, but neither do I, so keeping that in mind, I know there must be some aches and pains inside of him. I would like to keep it at bay for as long as possible. He does get MSM. I have no idea if that helps him or not, but it sure does make him pee. P U. However I would like to add to that a good glucosemine product.

But holy cow, since I have used these products, there are now zillions more on the market. And wow, the prices of some of them are astronomical. How in the name is anyone supposed to choose?

Since he is a big horse, and will use a full sized dosage I totally am going for the best bang for the buck.

What would you like to suggest?

Corta-Flex!!!! Wouldn't even think about using or trying anything else with my horses........I love that stuff!!!
yes.gif

I don't know the brand, but we get a MSM Glucosemene combination product in powder form from our vet.

MA

I have never used any of those products, but--CortaFlex with HA is getting a number of positive 'reviews' on another board I frequent.

Edited to add--It's actually "CORTA-FLX"; Jeffers has it in 3 formulations. A notation on the catalog page there states that the 'basic' CortaFlx now has 40 mg/serving of HA(hyaluronic acid); the CortaFlx with HA products have more HA per serving , and cost more. Generally, it looks like you give an initial higher dose for 10 days, then drop down to half that for the daily maintenance doses. The powder form is the least expensive, it appears-in Jeffers' current catalog, you can get the "with HA" version for $104.56, plus freight(5 lbs.worth, for your zone) for 160 servings for a full-sized horse. Sounds fairly reasonable to me(I estimate around 70 cents per day), at least compared to other prices I've seen for this kind of stuff....I read somewhere(can't recall where)that the HA is considered to be a beneficial additive to the other ingredients(chondrotin, glucosomine, and MSM), delivered by the CortaFlx products "in proper molecular size", which "allows for the most efficient passage"--according to the catalog information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried many of these products. Here are my choices:

1) CortaFlx LIQUID with HA. It does not contain glucosamine or chondroitin, but its ingredients produce the same action (if that makes sense). It is NOT the least expensive, but the results (at least in all of my horses) are profound and fast acting. I use this plus MSM for its anti-inflammatory properties in all my horses who need joint support, including my 20 year old semi-arthritic quarter horse mare.

2) Equinyl CM with MSM + Ester C. This combines MSM, chondroitin, glucosamine, vitamin C plus other chelated trace minerals as an all in one product. Cost effective and simple as you only have to feed one product to get all 3 main ingredients. It can be purchased in pelleted (highly palatable according to my horses) or liquid.

Robin C

We use Corta-Rx for our cutting horses, and it works quite well - much better than other joint products we've tried.

It's been awhile since I've used any of these on my horses other than MSM, but I've been taking a liquid HA supplement and I CAN tell a difference. What I take is Synthovial Seven, ordered from Valley Vet. The same company makes Hyalun for horses.

Jan

[SIZE=12pt]Marty, I've had amazing results with a human product called "JOINT CARE", it's a liquid that I pour over the horses' feed night and morning, they LOVE it! All my dwarves are on it along with an extra teaspoon of MSM. I buy it at Sam's Warhouse, it's $19.65 for a 1 month supply for 1 horse.[/SIZE]

A frined of mine has started her little dwarf mini on a product called CETYL-M, after about 3 weeks she said she could tell a difference in him. She's taking the human version of it and says she feels better, too.

Janell

CortaflxHA started my 32 yr old QH mare on it 2 weeks ago. I saw a dramatic improvement in 24 hours, with the same or slightly better freedom of movement since.

Its expensive but well worth it, because it WORKS!

Corta-Flex - Pouder is what I use for Miss Molly. Awsome stuff.

I'm new and wanted to share my experience with a product that is not CortaFLX.

I was given a Peruvian Paso mare with DSLD (degenerative suspensory ligament desmitis) and at the advice of my vet, I bought Optimum Flex by Direct Action Company. Within 10 days, I noticed a marked improvement and at a month Poquita showed a dramatic difference in her overall attitude and amount of mobility. With the DSLD she would usually stand in a corner of the pasture and only graze enough to maintain body weight. After the supplement, she would graze more and even get 'farty' and run around and kick up her heels. It definitely helped her, even though it would never have cured her. There is no cure for DSLD, it only gets worse and ends in euthanasia.

I lost her last year when one of her suspensories blew out when rising from the ground from having a good roll, but she had a great last year and a half of life with me where I made allowances for her condition and made her more comfortable.

Heidi

Apologies, this turned out to be a double-post.
ohmy.gif

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I got a qustion on the Joint Supplements -- can any of these be given to pregant Mares?? How safe for the foal? And how about when the foal is nursing?

Vicky

Latest posts

Back