What's Your "Day Job"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting jobs and ways to spend the day
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Right now, I need to get ready to go to the office -- which I rarely ever do on Fridays. Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing a special client this morning
default_yes.gif
:

My Husband and I have a Plumbing business
default_yes.gif
:

I have been working with him going on 8 years now ..... I have learned so much.

I worked in Health Care prior to working with Jerry.

I'm a full-time paramedic and nurse for my "real job" but also own and operate a training and breeding stable with my mom!

Very impressed.

I am a high school teacher. I also have a Masters Degree. I would love to teach for a college and open up an antique store. We bought this wonderful property that has a huge barn perfect for antiques. But that is a future goal.

I'm an assistant trainer and exercise rider at the racetrack. My day runs from 4:30am to 6:00pm (sometimes later if we have late post time!). Wouldn't trade what I do for anything. Although the hours could be better the money's great and I love the horses (the people I could do without
default_wacko.png
:
default_wink.png
: ). It's a 7 day a week job (well with every other Tuesday off) but the reward is great.

What a interesting topic Jill. I have four part time jobs that I absolutely LOVE. In order:

P.M. Cook at our local nursing home. I just love this job, I love cooking and I get to interact with the elders - they make you feel so special and really give you a eye opening on what your future may hold...

My next job is cook at our local supper club. I go in the morning, do my thing and get out of there before any one else arrives. No bossy's around with this job!

Next job - I do caregiving to local elders, only have one client currently and think the world of him.

Last job, I sell Avon. Love their products and I do every thing on my time. ( Good thing! )

The rest of my time is spent with my hubby, daughter, and critters of course.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Lori

Right now I work two jobs
default_wacko.png
: One I HATE with a passion and the other I LOVE going to. Its kind of weird but it pays for the new car!

The job I hate is mowing the lawn at my dad's work. It pays really well so I can't complain that much. Except when I get heatstroke because the only day I can do that is when its not raining and Im not doing other things. After this year I will refuse to go back no matter the pay.

The job I love is doing theraputic riding at a private practice. What I do there is lunge the horse before sessions start, do the grooming, cleaning, tacking, I lead during sessions, I even look after the other horses that aren't used for sessions. I enjoy working with the kids and this helps prepare me for teaching well.

The rest of the time I take care of my mini Joey and Im a full time university student. Im also going for my EMT-Basic class starting in September and ending in December. Its long classes 6pm to 10pm three days a week. The hours are a little killer but I will really enjoy it.

~megan

Definitely very interesting to read about what everyone does
default_yes.gif
:

I work part time for a florist delivering flowers. Part time means........hectic weeks and long hours during holidays, and on call for when other employees get sick or are on vacation. I LOVE this job! For the most part giving flowers always makes people happy.

I also just started a new full time job 3 weeks ago. Delivering lost luggage at the airport. Long story short.......when I went to visit Dimimore in June, my luggage was lost, so when I got home I looked into getting a job delivering, and got it. I LOVE this job too! It's A LOT of work, and very very long hours, a typical shift lasts from 12 to 20 hours. Lot's of heavy lifting, but that's ok because I'm getting buff
default_yes.gif
: Basically I'm getting paid to travel around my state, so I'm happy
default_yes.gif
:

I'm a student and work at a grocery store. Not very exciting at all! I work in customer service so I basically cash payroll checks, sell lottery tickets, send western unions, pay utility bills, cash in cans, etc! The cans and bottles are disgusting and a majority of the customers are cranky. There are a few regulars that we LOVE back there tho. If we could get rid of the cans then I probably would love my job. It's not my future tho, I'm going to school to become an elementary teacher.

This is an interesting read, everyone!!!

Mary Lou, I don't know if you'll remember or not but awhile back, you called me at the office about an article we were going to (and did) work on and when you got through to me, you said "Wow, it sounds like you work in a very professional office." Well, yeah.... but I thought back and it would have been a riot had I known it would be YOU at that ring and I could have had the phone answered with some kind of funny phrase (like "county jail, may I help you?") :bgrin

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

PS is this how rumors get started?
:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the admissions coordinator, sorta like registar/secretary/college rep all in one as we don't have them separate, at a college here close to the house. That's my job from when I leave the house at 7 and home at 5...........horses all what's rest and more it seems.

I work full time (44 hours) at a "lease to own" company, been there a year now,....we lease everything to furnish a house, I do the collections and marketing parts of the job for my store, and am basically the assistant manager without the pay raise to go with the title for now. Its an Ok job, I like the collections part of it anyways. I am looking for a new job as the pay at the one isnt great. Then I own my horses which is my 'before and after" work job.
default_yes.gif
:

I do daycare during the day.... I don't get paid nearly enough to do daycare though ($125 a week). I'm done doing daycare though as of August 31st so that I can have the final 2 months or so of my pregnancy off to be with my son before a new baby comes.
default_yes.gif
: I'll definitely be glad to be done with daycare!

Interesting thread. I am a self employed medical transcriptionist/editor. I contract with various clients to transcribe or edit doctor's surgery reports, letters, office visits, etc. I have worked in the medical field for 30 years, in hospital emergency rooms, etc. I have been home running my own business for 10 years now and I consider it the perfect job. I can go to work in my jammies :aktion033:

It also allows me to be home with our horses all day long. I am so thankful for that! Only problem is to be self employed you have to be focused and the minis tend to get in the way of that most days....

My particular job is not very exciting, but our company is pretty cool.

My official title is Document Control. I am the keeper of the paperwork trail. I have to keep records for FDA and ISO as well just everyday business.

The company I work for makes Heart Transplant Machines and various other medical devices. We also make a gadget that is so tiny, it fits into a new born babies tear duct to keep it from clogging up!

I manage my families furniture store. I wish I could say I loved it, but I can't. I realise that it could be a job alot of people would love to have but its really not my thing, I'm just not a people person :no: I'd much rather spend my days with animals than people ( no offense to anyone intended but you know what I mean!) Its 7 days a week so it makes it hard to show my horses in summer. But it could be alot worse so I should stop complaining! :new_shocked:

I used to work for the Ocoee Police Department (here in Central Florida, in my “hometown” where I grew up) where for the last 6 years I was the Administrative Assistant to two Division Directors of our agency. My direct commander was the Director of Professional Standards Division (Internal Affairs), and my other command was the Director of CID (Criminal Investigations Division), where I basically handled all incoming calls from the public community, other LEO agencies, & DA’s assisting as able and/or further directing to any of our 10 case assigned Detectives, or to other divisions within our agency. I composed and maintained all files for our 10 Detectives with incoming case assignments, all PS case investigations from public complaints of any of our agency LEO Personnel, as well as any Patrol Division Case Investigations. I maintained all Data Entry into the CISCO Data base of all incoming case assignments. Did Transcriptions of all investigative interviews for CID and PS (Internal Affairs), and also for Orange County Sheriff‘s Office (Detective Units) in “mutual“ case investigations. Kept detail into Outlook Calendar of all Court Appearances summoned for all our 10 Detectives and both Division Directors. I also did all the “civil” criteria for background research for all incoming LEO applicants to our agency. (Where I compiled and verified (from their application entries) all past Employer References, Educational References, Personal References and Criminal Background Checks from all prior area residences.) Twice daily, I maintained all interoffice errands of both Divisions from our building to the main PD across town, where I had my own City Vehicle (Chief's "old" car) assigned just to “me” for those trips. Maintained schedules for Intel Meetings between mutual case agencies, as well as monthly PD Chaplain Meetings. Composed and maintained spreadsheet detail of Annual Clothing Allowances for all 10 "Plain Clothes" Detectives and both Division Directors. Then, in any spare time between all that I kept inventory of all general office supplies for both divisions (CID/PS), and kept all office equipment (copy machines, shredders, printers, fax machines, phone systems, etc.) maintained in proper working order and fully stocked of all supplies. I also kept up with the minor generations of all clerical correspondences for all 10 detectives and both division directors.

I genuinely loved what I did there, but as of last month I gave notice and now just work for hubby’s business out of our home. June 5th, 2007 was my last day with the PD, and from that point forward I became the full time Office Manager for hubby’s business where he does contracting for Commercial & Residential Propane & Natural Gas Installations and Equipment Repairs. I can now set my own hours to “work” and then get to go outside and “play” with our “pasture pets” and my days now are greatly reduced of any stress. I really loved what I did at the PD, and most the guys there I still regard as family…they were like brothers…especially my “real” brother who is still there.
default_wub.png
: I do sort of miss my job and the people I worked with…but I sure don’t miss the daily stress though, LOL. A little over 6 years of it, was enough for me.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting reading the replies
default_smile.png

Everytime we do this thread, I am struck by how diverse our areas of expertise are outside of horses. We pretty much have every profession and trade covered
default_yes.gif
:

i have been a legal secretary my entire adult life. i now work for the public defender in the 3rd largest county in illinois. never a dull moment here! i love my work and i actually even like a few of our clients.
default_smile.png

So far I have not seen anyone with any of my jobs.

In January of 2004 I retired at 67 and have been enjoying retirement. Taking care of my 14 minis and property more than keeps me busy. Some days I work from morning till night while other days I do the minimum I can get away with. As much as I love my home and zoo I don't let it keep me bound here. I manage to get away from here when I want to. I was in Reno last week for the Western Championship show. Next week I will be at the Rose Bowl for the DCI finals week and several weeks later I will be off on a five week cross country trip from CA to NY (via TX, MN, NY and back home via TX) and back to Fort Worth to work at the AMHA World show again. By the time I get back from all these trips I will be ready to stay home for a while.

While I was still working I worked as a Technical Writer in the computer industry. My last job was with Tandem/Compaq/HP. All one job but Tandem got bought out by Compaq who got bought out by HP. For the last five years I worked I worked from home. I started having to go in to work (3 hour drive each way) one day a week. It later changed to once every other week and by the time I left it was once a month or when ever I felt like it or had to go in. I had a lot of meetings but they could all be attended via phone an online on my computer. I had planned on retiring earlier but liked my work and department and the project that I was working on. I love retirement.

Latest posts

Back