What's Your Day Job?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love reading through this thread! It always strikes me how many different areas LB members have expertise in, and I also love to see the "overlap" where some of us are in similar lines of work!!!

I work for a branch of the US Government and have for over 22 years now. Another 15 years or so and I might be able to retire. Started late in life. Go home at the end of the day and do my other job. Take care of the minis and shetlands, 4 small house dogs and 3 cats--and a partridge in a pear tree :).

I am a STNA/Care Manager at Elmwood Communities here in Green Springs Ohio, I work with the elderly at a privately owned facility and long term / short patients. Some have major disabilities / illness (such as cancer). I put in a solid 40 hours (sometimes more) here, I love what I do and the people I work with, and even my boss. The nice thing is, its not even one mile from my house..here is a link to my work. LINK

My family ownes a trucking company, my brothers manage it with 9 trucks currently that are almost always on the road. They haul out of Whirlpool (washers, dryers, dishwashers ext) across the country but mostly the main (and biggest) factory in Clyde Ohio. I do paperwork/invoicing and billing for them. Normally just one day a week, I use to go to my brothers office but now have it to where I can do the invoicing and printing here from home on my computer.

Those are my two biggies. I don't want to use the "S" word, but I do make a little cash off the ponies from time to time
default_wink.png
. Then dad breeds goats for local sale. Mom and dad are both retired.

I love my jobs, but I am SO looking forward to retirement....

I am not so interesting. I am the assistant District Manager for a Merchandising company based out of Parker, CO. I have about 100 people under me that I manage on a day to day basis and then I answer to the DM. Our company is based almost completely in the pet industry so the stores I deal with are Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supermarket, Pet Supplies plus and Tractor Supply. I work from home so I work awhile then go out to the barn for awhile, then come back in a work awhile. Its been great so far and I also like the bosses. Since I can work anywhere as long as I have my phone and computer, it makes it easy to do horse shows. I am pretty lucky.

I'm retired from Huffy Bicycle Company where I was a Customer Service Manager for 23 yrs...really stressful job with 18 employees taking 400,000 calls a year. Tim retired from the county water department.

Now..Tim and I do engraving and glass etching here on our farm, along with caring for my 93yr old Mom who lives with us and our little herd of boys...4 mini stallions and 3 mini geldings.

SUCH an interesting thread...fun seeing what everyones background has been and what we all do day to day!

Loving all the replies!

Connie, one of my favorite toys as a kid was my Huffy "Flower Power" bike. That thing was what was happening on my block
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

I'm a cake decorator in a grocery store bakery. (Can we all say "carpal tunnel"?!
default_new_shocked.gif
). I hate high school graduation and full sheet cakes! (anyone who is a cake decorator knows what I mean!
default_wacko.png
). I took some Wilton courses and my mom and I did an at home business in the 80's. Wedding cakes are beautiful; but so time consuming and stressful to do at times. And, yes, I have worked at this store for over a year and gained 18 pounds!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
(But cake tastes so good!)
default_aktion033.gif
. I also am involved in Direct Marketing with Nutritionals. Only just working into this area. Can't quit my day job yet, but I hope to eventually-then more time for the equines!
default_wink.png

For the last 3 1/2 years I have been a chemist for a major pharmaceutical company (and I hope to remain here until retirement). I run tests on liquid injectables to make sure they were manufactured correctly. I also handle the "complaints" that come back to our lab - so if anyone has an adverse reaction or no reaction to any of our products or if the pharmacy/hospital/etc. feels a product may have been tampered with it comes back to me to be tested.

While I was in college and highschool I held several different jobs - worked as a cashier and as a customer service rep. at Wal-Mart for 3 years and then worked for a cell phone insurance company as a customer service rep for 3 years (really liked this one for college as I was able to work from home so made working on homework much easier). I also took CNA classes in highschool and worked briefly as a CNA at our local hospital after college graduation until I was offered my current position.

Very interesting to see what everyone does for a "living".

I used to be a corrections officer in a state prison, however after finding myself standing up against a co-worker for sexual harassment, I lost and found my self getting walked out the door. I loved my job and wish I could go back, but also realize that a company that says its ok for one to sexually harass another is not a company I want to work for.

So right now while trying to find a new job I am working on my degree. I cant wait for the year to be done so I can get on with my Masters and something I enjoy.

I am another full time college student. I started out as an Animal Science major with a Pre-Vet focus (Equine of course!), but after my first two years I decided that I did not want to work 12 hour days for the rest of my life and switched majors to Equine Science until I could figure out what I wanted to do.

I have volunteered at Central Kentucky Riding for Hope, our riding for the handicapped center, for the past 6 years and love working with the therapists and clients, so decided that I would go into Occupational Therapy, with a focus on pediatrics. My goal is to graduate w/ my Equine Science degree in spring 2012 they apply to OT school. I would love to be able to work with CKRH or a similar program, it would allow me to combine my two loves, horses and children.

I am currently an intern at Equestrian Events, Inc., which puts on the Rolex KY 3-Day Event. It is amazing to see how much goes into planning an event of that magnitude. I have also been babysitting a few days a week for the last three years, the kids current ages are a 3,6, and 9.

It is fun to see what everyone's day jobs are, there are so many interesting careers out there!

I work in a cattle genetic lab at one of the biggest bull stud farms in the country. Our lab sex sorts the bull semen mainly for the dairy industry, that way they can AI their dairy cows and have a MUCH higher chance for a heifer.. We've done a few beef bulls as well, both X and Y (female/male).

I have had many different types of jobs thru out my life...never a "true" career, but pretty well-rounded in a lot of different "unskilled" jobs...
default_wink.png
The last 13 years, I worked at a dry cleaners (not the 1st time I have) for 2 yrs, then bought a little video store and was owner/operator of "Linda's Little Video" for 2 yrs...LOVED that business and if it hadn't been for a lot of different factors which made me not have any profit to live on (loss of main store in mall, rent going up quarterly, a new specialty video store going in right down the street, etc) I would have loved to have stayed in business, but I couldn't afford it. I was then offered my old job back at the cleaners and after a year, was promoted to manager and was there for over 8 years til I moved to Florida.

Since coming here I am "owner/farm manager" of the farm.
default_wink.png
It can sometimes get a little boring since i am not used to staying home all the time, but I am also enjoying not having to "work" for awhile.

I plan on going to school when we get another vehicle, so I can have a "career" by 50.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have been a patent attorney for over 20 years. Currently, I'm counsel in a 450+ attorney law firm. The 60 mile commute from the relaxing Eastern Shore of Maryland into the Washington, D.C. area is a bit much though, so five years ago I went part-time and I only have to make the drive 2-3 days a week now. Not a great career move, but I still make enough to feed all the minis, and I got my sanity back!!

Such interesting folks we have her at LB! Always nice to learn alittle more about everyone. These jobs are very interesting and some quite unique - been alot of fun keeping up with all the responses.

Congratulations to everyone on their successes as well as future endeavors!

default_aktion033.gif

I work part time at a major online retailer's fulfillment warehouse. (Not sure if its okay to say company names, but sure everyone has heard of or purchased from this company!) Right now I work in the stow department (Putting items in bins) but I also do some receiving, and have done picking (taking items from bins which then goes to the one of the packaging for shipment areas) quite a bit too. Oh and Ivs done some packaging, and inventory control/quality assurance there too. For me, its a very interesting job. I worked in delis in grocery stores for many years, and didnt care for that. I also managed an Italian restaurant for a couple years. One reason I work part time is that I homeschool my kids, so although Im not paid for that, Im a teacher also LOL.

I am the office manager for a farmers cooperative. We handle wheat and also gin cotton.

Am just an Artist now (all I can do) but that doesn't bring in enough to pay bills. So we rely on DH's job.

Used to work at private barns training horses, working at greenhouses on the side, plus my Research work. There is a variety! LOL

There are some seriously talented people on LB!

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in Quality Control and I handle all the documents, which is basically making a owners manual for all our finished components that are fabricated at the machine shop I work in with 75 machinists. At my place of employment we furnish components for sub contracting to various companies being General Electric Hitachi, Westinghouse and Textron Defense Systems to name a few, for different nuclear power plants all over the USA, Japan, Tawain, Switzerland, Mexico and are released by a nuclear engineer after complete review from start to the finished product. Very stressful and time consuming job with working usually 5 days a week at a min of 9 hours a day and weekends usually 6 hours on Saturday and if needed the same for Sunday work. My documentation records usually range from 100 pages to 1220 pages with our finished product.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Some very interesting jobs LB members have.

I currently work at a prison as the Property & Supply Coordinator and have been here for a number of years. During my spare time I went back to school and got my massage lisence and working to get the training for equine massage. I also have an instructors lisence to teach human massage and would like to add equine to that also.

Does it sound like I want to get away from the prison? YEPPERS!!
default_biggrin.png

This is so THE thread to grab a cup of coffee and enjoy! It's a lot of fun to read what everyone does
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back