What's too early??????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Wondering at what age is old enough to go to a trainer? I have never sent anything younger than a yearling, actual a real full year of age.

I am working with some horses, but hard to get them all where I want them to be as I work full time, kids, etc. I am considering sending 2 for a month of halter/lead/standing/manners training.

I know many things need to be considered. Age, maturity, health, etc.

If you have had experience sending a young one, please share experiences.

thanks

A trainer will take them at any age. And if you think about it what would be the difference in sending a 4 - 6 month old foal to the trainer and selling it to a new home, still going someplace new and still has to learn manners and such. I think you should do what feels right to you. If you have plans to show them then send them in plenty of time to be ready for that.

[SIZE=8pt]If you are thinking of sending them to Brenda I know she is great with weaners and your babies would be fine there.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Well, if you sell a horse at that age hopefully they are staying there. In this case the horse would be going back and forth. Not sure at what age I would do it. But would supply the grain and hay to make sure there was no change there.

Brenda and I don't always get a chance to talk much, didn't realize you knew her Lynn.

Have used Brenda for a number of years. The trainer is not my concern. I have one horse who is skiddish, shy, backwards and he is my concern. A little gastraguard may be in order as well.

Back