What's the worst injury you've gotten

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about 3 weeks ago as a matter of fact, I had some visitors who wanted to come see my mini horses...so into the corrals we went. I usually wear covered shoes or boots when working outside, but this day I had been lounging indoors, and had my sandals on. Well the boys were real nice and polite...was'nt their fault, but one of them (can't remember which one off the top of my head) was right next to me and just accidently stepped on my foot. Just above the toe bones....almost to where my foot meshes with my leg. You bet I saw stars
default_wacko.png
: ...but I grinned and beared it...altho I did mention to the little girl never wear open shoes around horses....such as I was doing. :eek: The little guys may be small and not look heavy....but man oh man...looks are decieving!

This is exactly why I cringed when I recently heard a lady say at the Western States Equine Expo that she lets her granddaughters go out and work with her miniature horses and doesn't worry at all because they are so small. :no:

More stepped toes then I can count. My Joey steps hard and piviots on my foot! Man does that hurt!! He's bitten me in the butt, got smacked across his nose for that. He has also snapped the bra! Tried to be all sweet and inocent and give his "mommy" a hug and nuzzles my back then WAM! He grabs a hold of that strap and pulls it out as far as he can and lets it go :new_shocked:

The worst for me would have happened about... 3 years ago now. I was line driving in out back ring about Thanksgiving time and I tripped on something. He spooked and took off like a mad man. I fell and decided I didn't want to let go of the reins. So I was dragged for about 20-30 feet over rocks. I held on for dear life pleading with my horse to stop. Luckly my sister was working her paint at the same time so when I let go she caught him. When I got up I couldnt put any pressure on my left leg. Luckly my sister's paint was a big horse (16hands). I was able to grab a hold of her halter and hobble up to the house that way. Everyone made me go in the house and my sister took care of Joey, I was in a lot of pain. About 3 hours after that I was complaining that I couldnt bend my leg and it was throbbing. Went to the ER and spent about 5 hours there doing nothing. They x-rayed but they didn't call an orthopedic surgeon in when they had one. I spent a week or two in an immobilizer. I couldnt go to school because I couldnt sit in the desk. When I finally went to the orthopedic surgeon, she found out that I had dislocated AND jammed my knee. Ever since then I have had problems with that knee. We were toying with the idea of surgery last year when I was having a series of problems. But we dicided it was best to wait for now, the surgery wasn't gaurenteed to do anything.

Ive fallen off more big horses then I have fingers and toes. Tasted a lot of dirt in my 19 years and gotten "dirt burn." I have been bit across the back of my neck just under the hair line by my sister's morgan gelding when i was about 6. NEVER wear an orange vest in the barn, even if it is hunting season!! :new_shocked:

That's all the injuries for now, probably will be getting more in the future. That's how horses go, if your not broken they'll fix that!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

~Megan

Minis...Fractured the top of my foot still hurts now and that happend lat year whenever one of them stands on accidentally it criples me for a while!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Then got in between my head mare and another mare she turned to go at the other mare just as i bent down to give her a hug and wham straight in the face with her teeth man did it knock me for a 6er :new_shocked: she was just as shocked as me would never dear hurt me on purpose!!

Then last mini incident trying to clip a filly i turned clippers on walked up to her, so far so good laid them against her neck and she spun around reared up kicked me in the face split my lip and gum and left a 6" blood blister down my chest, yep another padock ornament that wont be seeing the show ring!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

As for big horses iv fallen of more then i can remeber and my x-ray file is so big at the hospital its ridiculous never broken anything, most serious injury iv ever had with a riding horse was borring a friends mare and riding through the park she bolted threw me into a tree kicked me in the ribs on my way down and knocked me out cold when i hit the trunk they thought i had boken my back i was stuck in bed for weeks lucky the olympics was on so i sat at home and watched that i think i was like 11?? Im really bad for not letting go i had a little bolter and whenever id fall of id hang onto those reins for dear life and have been dragged down roads through mud and water, crap everyhting else!! but i just wouldnt let go :eek: lol maddness

Now my knees and wrists play up whenever im cold and my back is often giving my grief and im only 23!!

None.

But I have had a few big horse injuries because I do love to take on challenges. I thrive on it.

For not having been into minis that long, I've had many, many bruises, kicks, bites, stepped on toes ect. They maybe small but its surprising how hard they can kick. Most I was in the way or doing something I shouldn't.

My worst was my fault, just had gotten a new mare, only had her for 3 days when she foaled. This mare was nervous anyway, and a tall B, I'm short so she seems big to me......lol Anywho, she had foaled, was told to leave her alone as she isn't a "people mini". The others where making her very nervous wanting to get a look at her new filly. So I went in to her stall to make her more room.........big mistake! She immediately let me know I wasn't welcome with a hard kick to my stomach and a bite on my arm.

Needless to say, I've learned a lot since then...............
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My worst injury was a very bad bite from one of my stallions - it was spring and the mares were in heat and I had just gone into his stall to hang a fresh bucket of water and as soon as I turned my back to him he flew off the wall and sunk his teeth into my right hip - that was five years ago and I still have a fatty lump there about the size of a grape - it hurt more than I can tell you - burned like crazy! That is the very last day that I ever turned my back on any of my horses.
default_yes.gif
:

Well, I have been quite lucky I guess. The worst injury I had from a mini was a big hoofsized hard spot on my upper thigh when I got "ran over". I had brought a mare into a stallion pen for breeding, and she did not want any part of him, so I was trying to get her out, back through the gate. I had gone through first, turned around to face her to let her slip past me and to hold the gate to make sure the stallion never came through after her, and when he came charging todards her, the only thing in her mind was to get away from him, and she ran into me, knocking me onto the ground.(laying on my back. She ran right over me, and her hoof left a huge hoofprint shaped bruise, and the meat under the sjkin stayed very hard to the touch for months afterwards! I am lucky it was only my leg and not my head or ribs or something!

Other than that, the one time I was clipping a foal without restraint of any kind. He had no halter, was not tied or anything. He was standing so nice, apparently enjoyed being clipped. I was sitting on the floor in front of him, and when I went to clip below his knees, he surprised me by rearing up and got me in the eye with his hoof. I ended up with a black eye! LOL!

[SIZE=12pt]I remember several years ago, before I became a police officer, I worked in the ER at a hospital as a security officer . Everyone in our town knew I had minis. Well one morning around 5:30 am, a lady and her husband came into the ER. I assumed she had been attacted by a dog as she was torn up pretty badly, bite marks all over her arms and face. I was told by her husband that her 28inch stallion did this to her. She had gone out to feed and he got her down and mauled her. Makes you wonder what the %$@@ they had been doing to him?? I always wondered if they starved him or used him as a teasing stallion, as I didn't know the horse or the people. I've had some stallions with a little 'tude but OMG :new_shocked: . Several years later this same stallion showed up at a place outside of town. He seemed perfectly fine when I saw him other than the fact he was a cryptorchid (and I advised they geld him). Yup, they may be small, but they can definitley do damage.[/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back