What's the one colour you wouldn't want in your breeding program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What wouldn't you choose?

• Roan

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Pinto

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Silver anything

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Appaloosa

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • Chestnut

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Black

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Bay

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Double Dilute (Cremello, Perlino)

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Buckskin

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grey

Votes: 67 43.5%
  • Palomino

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
I said Appaloosa, because we breed for PtHA registered pintos and are purists. For years and years PtHA would not allow ANY app blood in their registry and we know why they changed the rules ($$$$), but that doesn't mean we have to.

We know many people breeding for pinto would not want any grays, but we are not about to reject Max because he is turning gray! Just remember, gray doubles the color possibilities. The other thing about grays is that I read they are one of the most popular colors in other breeds.

Like most people, I don't really think there is a bad color when it comes to an AMAZING horse...but there are some colors/patterns that I dislike more than others, but would never say "never" on owning any of them.

Case in point..one of those colors I really don't like much is that "mule brown" (black bay)...but guess what?? My 2 yr old stallion, Khan, IS that color and I LOVE him! If I "just" look at his color, I go "bleh" LOL
default_laugh.png
but if I look PAST the color and see the horse I drool!
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif

I picked "Appaloosa", which is kind of funny since I was/am a HUGE big horse Appaloosa fan! I grew up owning Appies. In the Minis, tho, I have seen not many Appaloosas that I'd love to own. Maybe it's not even the color...not sure, but I have yet to own an Appaloosa Mini...and usually look past them when looking for a horse to buy.

I voted for Appaloosa (I have/breed Pintos), but I actually do not dislike any of the Appaloosa patterns. However, I, personally, do NOT like "Pintaloosa". I love all of the Pinto patterns and I love all of the Appaloosa patterns, but I do not want them mixed; on the horse or in its pedigree.

I voted Grey but I actually like grey horses!! But the question is what I wouldn't want in my breeding program. I breed for Pintos and with the greying gene after a few years you lose all your markings and just have a white horse!!
default_smile.png
My least favorite colors are the double dilutes.

My least favorite color on a mini is the mousey mule brown bay. Tied for second would be double dilutes and appaloosas. I also really don't like the all white horse with the medicine hat pattern. I like all other colors. But as been said a million times, a great horse is a great horse regardless of color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I shouldn't respond, as I don't breed, but I will anyway...

The only color I wouldn't "choose" to add to my herd is a color that I already have. I love each of the colors in my little foursome --bright blood bay, silver dapple, chestnut pinto, and strawberry roan -- but I also love the variety -- each is distinctly different.

I, like other posters, wouldn't turn down the right horse in ANY color. That said, I chose "silver anything" because we already have quite a few silver carriers. In fact, all of our homebred foals for five years straight were silver bays; we broke the silver bay streak in 2010...with a silver black.
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't breed, I just seem to collect and collect and collect some more. Who's an idiot?........ ME!! .
default_saludando.gif

My least favourite colour would have to be the double dilutes. Just don't appeal. Sorry.
default_no.gif

I have many different colours but have decided my preferred colours are plain old black and chestnut .......so easy to clean.
default_new_rofl.gif

I also believe that there is no bad color on a good horse but for breeding I would not use a grey. I like pintos and other color patterns and grey washes those out over time.. My second choice is Silver...Silver is a beautiful color but when your foals for several years in a row all come out with silver its gets old... I do love all colors but when it comes to my own preference I love the dilutes, facial markings,blue eyes and colors that make the horse stand out...

Even though I am no longer breeding, I did so for 16 years, so I will answer too.
default_yes.gif
My breeding program was centered mainly around the pinto pattern, and I also raised a few appaloosas earlier on, so I am with the others that choose grey, as the one that I wouldn't want to breed. I LOVE a good grey horse, and in fact, owned a beautiful little grey stallion, but sold him as it really is heart breaking to a "pattern" breeder to see those beautiful markings fade to white.
default_no.gif

While I think silver dapples and greys are pretty, I wouldn't like those in my breeding herd. Maybe as driving geldings so I can enjoy their color!

Pintos!
default_wub.png

Black pintos!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I personally don't like Some palomino horses, but I do own one. I like the dark ones, not the light ones. I love roans though.

Color is about the last thing I look at and take into consideration. However, I do like to have a consistant look to the ponies so I have to add consistant color in there somewhere. Im not a big silver bay fan...but own and have owned several silver bays.

Interesting topic Matt. Not a big dilute fan either,,,

I would not want silver, double dilute, grey or Chestnut, silver being the least liked.

It's funny that most say a good horse can be any color.... I WISH the judges

felt that way LOL

It's neat to read the differing likes and dislikes.
default_smile.png

I can not imagine not liking a bay! I don't care for doulble dilute,, but my favorite horse

at the World show last fall,, a perlino! go figure!

~Sandy

I am not crazy about solid chestnut. I like chestnut pinto ok if there is a lot of white to make the color interesting.

I love greys.

As much as I dont like the double dilute colors, Bay is at the bottom. Im my opinion, there boring.

REO I'm with you on the black pintos! Love them!

Interesting. Quite a few don't care for the double dilutes. I'm surprised.

I voted appaloosa, just not my cup of tea. But I would have chestnuts in my barn all day long, as well as greys. They are my favorite, nothing shines as easy as a chestnut horse. And I just love greys. Since I breed for me to keep, then it doesn't matter to me as long as both sire and dam are very nice horses.

Well, I'm afraid you can add me to the ones not liking double dilutes.

Now, I don't want any grays in my breeding herd because I prefer the dark/intense colors and pintos , but many grays are so stunning with their white coloration, but the dark skin on muzzle and eye.

Silvers I LOVE! The striking ones with deep color, strong dapples and snow white manes and tails.

The solid blacks that look like satin.
default_yes.gif
Like Skipper, but he's not quite solid. The RICH chestnuts like Quester Bars, Franks running stallion. He just shimmered and glowed.

Did I say I love horses?
default_smile.png

Charlotte

Back