What's the best way to wash your mini without shampoo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
My little monster is allergic to shampoo. She has a show this weekend and I though I would just skip the bath, but with the heat this week she is disgusting and I don't think we can skip it. I was thinking just warm water and a brush but if someone had a better idea I would love to hear it.

A water hose??!! 🤣🤣💕

She is allergic to ALL horse shampoo?…. but what about soap? Dawn dish washing soap? Selsun blue shampoo? They have a dog shampoo that is great for allergies because it has oatmeal in it, oatmeal is suppose to be calming, not sure how it would do on horses but I would guess it would be fine.…you can get it from Petco.

Good luck!!

The problem is, I know she is allergic to mane n tail pro tect. But.....what part of it is she allergic to? According to the vet most horses are allergic to the main ingredient which I can't remember. But she said it's the main ingredient in most of them. So I need to do some trial and error but first I need the ingredients of the shampoo, it only lists the active ingredient. I have dawn but I'm not sure if she will have a reaction so doing it before the show is a bad idea. The reaction is bad enough that I hate to do a lot of testing on her.
I did try warm water, scrubbing with a brush, toweling off and lots of show sheen.

Baby shampoo might be better if you want to give it a try later. Good luck at the show!!!!!!
That is a spectacular idea! I just checked the ingredients on that and it's not the same as the other horse shampoos so it's probably my best bet. And I never even thought of it. Thank you!

Reactions: Taz
Hey all, this is my first post in....well...YEARS! 🤣🤣

This is what we did with one that developed some sort of weird allergic reaction in our show barn. The owner wasn't available to approve testing, and the time-frame was too short before Regionals.

Ingredients you will need: One gallon of white vinegar, one gallon cider vinegar, 1-2 boxes CORN STARCH, 2-3 boxes BAKING SODA. Generics are fine. 🙂

We put CORN STARCH in a shaker bottle, dusted her body down well, then rubbed it in with a rubber curry. Rinsed well with hose.

We made a thick paste with BAKING SODA and water. This was rubbed into all dirty spots, white areas and mane and tail. In a spray bottle (quart size) mix 1/2 water, 1/2 WHITE vinegar. Spray this everywhere you applied the baking soda mix, and rub each area thoroughly as it foams. Keep spraying each area and rubbing until it stops bubbling. (Or until your arms give out, whatever happens first.😅)

Rinse well with plain water.

Last, fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and add 5 cups CIDER vinegar. Sponge over the entire horse until the water starts to bead off. It will look like a windshield that you've applied Rain Guard to. One 5 gallon bucket should be enough for a mini, it took 2 full ones for a 14.3 hand Arabian with full mane and tail.

The cider rinse neutralizes the other things, pulls the natural oils back into the coat, gives a soft touch to manes and tails, and is also a bit of an insect repellant.

We did this to a mare the day before hauling to Regionals (They were within an hour of us that year) and she took Regional Champion 3 year old Arabian filly and Reserve Regional Champion mare. The trainer I apprenticed with didn't believe in "goop", he believed in elbow grease. The only clipping she received was on her 4 stockings, a modest bridle path, and the long hairs of her muzzle and jaw line. Just before we went into the warm up ring, we rubbed corn starch into her stockings and blaze, then brushed out the extra. She was one slick looking, chromed-out chestnut filly when she went strutting into that ring!!

I know this all is a bit more complicated than lather/rinse/repeat, but the results are well worth the effort.

Good luck!! Please keep us posted on how things go at the show.

Edited to add: now I feel all pumped up to go out and give my guy a spa day! 😆😆

Attachments

• 20210617_112847.jpg
    20210617_112847.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
All I can think is she will look like a volcano and smell like a salad. I was not brave enough to experiment before the show. I'm going to spot test the baby shampoo tomorrow and it that doesn't go well it will be baking soda and vinegar, and she will look like a volcano and smell like subway sandwiches. I believe in a lot of elbow grease myself so she didn't look bad. She did pretty good at the show, she could have been better behaved though.

😁😁
All I can think is she will look like a volcano and smell like a salad.

Yeah, that's what I'd think, too.

It does look odd. As for smell, there shouldn't be much if any once they dry.

You'll need to be a bit less cryptic about your show! What type show was it? What class(es) did you show in? Do you have all this in another thread, and if so, where?

😁😁

Yeah, that's what I'd think, too.

It does look odd. As for smell, there shouldn't be much if any once they dry.

You'll need to be a bit less cryptic about your show! What type show was it? What class(es) did you show in? Do you have all this in another thread, and if so, where?
Ok, less cryptic, LOL...we showed AMHR over, Obstacle course which is hard for her and we have been working on for months. I was very impressed that she did the backing through poles, but sidepassing towards something was not something she was ready for yet. And stock halter. She didn't stand very well in halter, but since she was the only horse she got 1st.

Latest posts

Back