What's made in your town, city or state?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I am very interested in things or even services offered by people that live near you, in your town, city or state.

Is it famous? Is it exclusuve to your area?

For example we have Myrtlewood here in OR and there are very few places it grows so the factories or businesses that make things with it are somewhat unique to Oregon.
default_smile.png

Why do you love it? Would you be sad if it were gone?

If you have web links, I'd like to see them, but names are enough as well as a description of the item/business.

You can respond privately to my email at [email protected] as I don't want anyone to get into trouble for advertising.

Thanks!

Liz

Sorry, I read this wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
The company that makes Texas Pete products is in Winston Salem, they also make Garners Jams and Jellies. Also Hanes Brand products, socks, underwear, etc... are also in Winston. We also have the company that makes Merita Bread Products, International Brands Corp. Just outside of Winston is a small town called Welcome that is the home of Richard Childress Racing (Dale Earnhart raced for this team) as well as Richard's Vineyard. Then next to Winston is the city of High Point which is the home of the High Point Furniture Market held twice a year. There is probably more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Oh, its also the home of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, makers of Winston, Salem, Camel, More, Doral and many other brands of cigerettes.

Well if you have a whirlpool washer / dryer i bet it or atleast parts of it have been here in Clyde Ohio. We have the biggest / main whirlpool factory in the country.

Hey Liz...neat post! I was just thinking about things made locally.

Let's see.....I have FoxRiver Mills near me in Osage, Iowa. Maker of socks and gloves. They make sports socks, dress socks, hunting/hiking, ladies, mens, childrens. Specialize in blends....such as their merino wool blends and socks made from CORN...yeah, imagine that socks made in Iowa from corn we farmers grow.
default_smile.png

Why do I love it? Because the workers are our community.....and the plant gives back to our community in various ways.

Anyone know St Marys Cement (most people know it by it's logo-triangle mostly yellow in colour with gray on one edge, not necessarily the name)?

Well, guess where that is?

Yeppers, St Marys, Ontario....the 'Stonetown'....I guess it is somewhat unique to this area!

Ohh, and 'Taylor Bats'. They make stools and chairs out of baseball bats and make the seats look like baseballs, or plates.

http://taylorbats.com/

Stratford is pretty close by, and they have Rheo Thompson Chocolates mmm, mmm, mmmmmmmm
default_wub.png
possibly *the* best chocolates ever!
default_yes.gif

~kathryn

Necco wafers are made here in Boston. I also live one town over from Salem, and that is the wierdest place to visit in October. The streets are crawling with people in costumes all month long. We also have Woodman's in Essex. Tourist trap but well known for eating lobsta in the rough.

Hey Liz...neat post! I was just thinking about things made locally.
Let's see.....I have FoxRiver Mills near me in Osage, Iowa. Maker of socks and gloves. They make sports socks, dress socks, hunting/hiking, ladies, mens, childrens. Specialize in blends....such as their merino wool blends and socks made from CORN...yeah, imagine that socks made in Iowa from corn we farmers grow.
default_smile.png
Let me tell you I can say those are some WONDERFUL WARM SOCKS
default_smile.png
default_wink.png

They build Cessna airplanes out here in Central Oregon......... and T-Mobile has a central office out here......they're one of the biggest employers in the area.

Oh! And I just remembered - Sullivan Glove Company. They make work and winter gloves and are sold through companies like LL.Bean and Eddie Bauer and REI. I've seen their gloves in all of their catalogs.

I don't mind spending a little extra for good quality... a product that will last my life time is well worth it and of course keeping the jobs in the US.

There is not much locally made in this area, if you don't count the local Beef and Veggies. Though I hand spin yarn and paint.
default_wink.png

Was looking for food gift baskets last xmas.. and found these folks. Everything is made in Oregon

http://www.madeinoregon.com/

Was looking for a laundry basket and this place has a nice one,,, handmade.. though it is in WA

Dunbar Gardens~ Makes all kinds of usefull baskets.

http://www.dunbargardens.com/baskets.htm

Swallow Lane Farm~

These folks have been around a long time. Even bought Jacob ewes from them awhile back. Not only do they raise their own sheep in WA, they also make their own yarn to make into blankets, Very nice blankets.

http://www.jacobsheep.com/fiberworks.htm

These are not local... but in the US and handmade. Could not find what I was looking for in OR or WA.

Here's a Review I did on the mixing bowls and muffin pans I did.

http://the-neesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/10...ters-in-vt.html

And the American Made measuring cups I bought from Spooners of WV, also did a review.

http://the-neesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/10...g-cup-test.html

If you would like some furniture that is American made, every part made out of real wood, grown in the US, family made.. look no farther than..

http://www.borkholder.com/furn/main3.htm

I have 4 of their pieces of large furniture and can say with great confidence that the quality and workmanship is out standing. Have had them for 9 years now..if I remember correctly. Just bought the Pine as that is what we could afford.

I have other links but I don't want to bury folks.
default_wink.png

I'm just outside of "Hampton Roads" area of Virginia. (By choice, lived in town 40 yrs) Right on the Chesapeake Bay & Atlantic Ocean.

Let's see.........we have the US Navy...big time. Largest contingent of carrier, subs, aircraft in the country. There are two of the largest shipbuilding companies in the US right here.

Stihl -- manufacturing chains saws and more. GEICO -- largest of their call centers and corp centers.

Smithfield foods is homed here -- pork products. Planters Peanuts. QVC based here. International Paper. Large distribution centers for both Target & Food Lion. Large coal and container based import/export piers.

We have a well established "base" type industry in this general area. As well as the tourist trade for our beaches & conference centers, constant military influence and a good balance of supporting trades.

While we feel the economic crunch, at the same time there are situations that support the basics of many of our companies.

Latest posts

Back