What's happening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
My ophan colt is drinking fine. But I have not noticed but one pile from him since he has been on the Foal Lac. Being worried I ran to Wal-Mart at 2 a.m. Sunday morning - nice shopping these hours there - but our Wal-Mart has discontinued the infant and children fleet enemas. So bought the adult plus some mineral oil and some more dark karo. Which I have been putting the karo in the milk the whole time. All day Sunday I mixed Mineral Oil into his milk along with the karo. I gave him an enema early afternoon. Still nothing - he is drinking the milk fine and doesn't appear to be colicky - so could he be eating his manure? Just a thought. Am I not putting enough karo or oil in his milk? Haven't used the oil except for yesterday. Please let me know what ya all think. Have a phone call into the vet also concerning this. Thanks in advance. Planning on getting some pics to post soon.

I have not the faintest idea where it's going- perhaps the poop fairy is visiting
smile.gif
- but I really think you would be in serious trouble by now if he were not pooping. Of course you should talk to the vet- are you offering him some soft hay yet?? I know you will have water in there, but I wonder if he should be having something else as well??

I have been giving him some hay. Plus he has been licking on the salt or I should say sucking on the salt block alot - which in turn makes him drink alot of water. Which I feel is good that he is drinking quite abit of water - thought this would help him go. Oh, have also been putting Nutrena Safe Choice grain on his hay that I give him to nibble on.

Edited - Won't be able to get the vet to call me back until after 5 tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are doing everything right, try not to worry and wait for the Vet

i would worry about him drinking too much water. how old is he? normally you dont want a foal drinking ALOT of water as it fills them up. Could it be that he has diarhea and so your not seeing it??

He is 6 days old today - he always finishes off his milk - would he be drinking all of his milk if he was filled up on water? The one pile I did find was yesterday morning - looked like a dog log - and was black and gooey. I don't think he has a diarhea as his back end is clean and I sit with him quite abit and have not seen him go. He was straining at one point yesterday afternoon before giving him the enema - but did not go.

Hey there, thanks for the "heads up"!

First of all.....STOP mixing the mineral oil in his food. The mineral oil coats the system so well that the nutrients won't be processed properly for him.

Mineral Oil should only be given for short spans of time when you have a colic problem or threatoning.

Continue with the Foal Lac. Offer him plenty of fresh water. Offer him a dish of grain and hay as an option too.

Don't be afraid to give the little one another enema.....even daily if necessary. If you don't get a reaction, increase the dose a little. We've given our foals enemas a few hours apart with the second one doing the wanted result.......
rolleyes.gif
If you can find an infant Fleet enema at another store, grab it....grab several! They don't go bad.

Oh, and Jeffie, our orphan, is still producing poop that looks like "doggy doo" even though he's no longer on the Foal Lac. But at least he's pooping regularly now.

MA

Thanks Miniv - I just don't want to lose this little big guy - things have been so emotional for me - didn't help that we had lost our Boston Terrrier we had for 12 years on June 27th either. Thanks so much for all of your help - I really honestly do appreciate it! You guys are GREAT!

Just to agree with what Miniv said about enemas, I don't think it will hurt him as long as you are not using a huge volume of liquid. We had a load of hay delivered last year that had several approximately week old kittens in it and no mother cat. We went to the farm where the hay had come from and could not find mother, so wound up raising them by hand. They wouldn't poop for several days and the vet had us giving them enemas (tiny amounts obviously), which after a day or so, worked like a charm every time. If it is safe for a tiny kitten, hopefully it will get your boy going too.

Good luck, sounds like otherwise he is doing well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back