What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carry out pizza tonight, but I'll make a big salad to cut the carbs and calories
default_eat.gif

Sausage, peppers, and onions (+ mushrooms, diced tomates, sherry and a little Parmesan cheese) with turkey half smoked sausage over penne pasta with spinach salads and some sour dough bread on the side
default_eat.gif
Harvey loves this for dinner and I forgot how much I like it, too, until I made it agains recently after a year or more of not
default_smile.png

Yum Jill !!!!!! I think Ill need the recipe for the above
default_smile.png
Also what was in the Polynesian chicken , that sounds great too ??
default_smile.png

Made a couple of slow cookers over the long weekend , An italian Chicken one and also a rather large batch of chicken and veggie soup. They were both good and had plenty of left overs for the freezer
default_smile.png

Have just harvested some of my corn so I may BBQ them tonight in some butter , chili and lemon pepper.
default_smile.png

I really need to make more of an effort not to read this thread until after lunch or even after breakfast. (mouth is watering )
default_drool5.gif
default_eat.gif

Yum that does look good , cheers
default_smile.png
I think slicing the sausage like you do would be better too
default_smile.png

Marinated Pork cutlets , Fresh Corn fried in Butter, chili and lemon pepper and a baked zucchini, onion, yellow and red capsicum dish that I did in the oven.

Guess what?! Breakfast today is last night's dinner left-over! Yum, yum...it's a quick homestead recipe I got from public access tv. Here it is:

Tomato and Bacon Pasta

5-6 slices bacon cut into 1" pieces

One clove garlic-minced (I had to substitute about 1/2 tsp dry garlic)

Four medium vine-ripe tomatoes-chopped (PLEASE pay the bit extra and get these if you don't have access to fresh from the field...otherwise your dinner will be a tasteless flop!)

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Fresh mozzarella or parmesan to top

One scant teaspoon balsamic vinegar (my own modification to cut a bit of acid--I added it at the mid-point taste test of the sauce.)

Wide egg noodles (6 ounces) or thick pasta of choice

Yield: Three healthy sized portions

Total prep-to-serve time: 35-40 minutes

Put salted pasta water on to boil

Heat cast iron over medium heat while you're chopping bacon. When skillet is warm, fry bacon to barely crisp. Add garlic and cook until scent blooms....about 30 seconds or so. (Not too long or it will be bitter) Add coarsely chopped tomatoes and fresh ground black pepper, being sure to carefully scrape bottom of skillet to deglaze. Stir frequently. It cooks down to desired thickness while you finish the pasta.

By this time, pasta water was at a rolling boil. Added the pasta and cooked to al dente. Drain and serve immediately. Portion the sauce over the pasta. I topped with about 1ounce fresh mozzarella, use what you like. If available, garnish with fresh herbs-like basil or thyme.

This is approximately half-size of the original recipe as I was cooking for myself. It was soooo delicious that I ate it without any sides! It made 3 generous sized portions. I could have stretched it to four had I made a side salad of fresh greens, and served a bread.

I'd quite forgotten that fresh tomato is very delicious!!! I've gotten so used to store bought bulk or roma.....how sad. But I'd been out looking at heirloom plants for a garden--where I'd seen quite the variety of tomatoes! Remembered the recipe from tv, stopped at store, then...YUM, YUM!! Dinner and breakfast. LOL

Easy dinner here. Turkey sandwiches on onion rolls, mock potato salad (made with cauliflower, not sure if we'll like it yet), and marinated cucumbers with green peppers and purple onions. Cookless night, unless I toast the sandwich rolls

Ok, so we've been very disappointed in our easy, go-to chicken choice of Banquet Fried Chicken, lately; so last time we shopped we bought thighs on sale and Shake N Bake, and I'm going to give it a try for supper tonight, along with a pasta side dish and corn. [The Banquet chicken tends to have a squishy layer between the meat and the coating, and regardless of how long it's in the oven, it doesn't seem to bake right.]

I had the same problem Chanda with some I brought recently. They were soggy and the part between the crust and the chicken was like glue. So What i did was I shallow fried them in some oil on both sides till they were about 75% cooked then i finished them in the oven. I dont usually cook in alot of oil, but thought id give it a go as I couldnt eat them like they had turned out the first time and I didnt want to throw them out.

Lemongrass beef and jasmine rice last night here
default_eat.gif

Usually use the Banquet chicken on an I don't want to cook night, as you just throw them in the oven, but might look into pan frying in oil to see if we can finish off the box we have.

We love shake n bake here!

Tonight, I'm planning to make a small batch of spaghetti sauce to serve over linguini with tossed salads and some cheesy garlic bread. Probably leftovers of this for tomorrow
default_eat.gif

We've also got some fresh pineapple to finish
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back