What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jill, I don't see why you can't use pork in the pot pie, I use left-over roast beef. I usually only have cream of mushroom soup on hand, so that's all I ever use for the "gravy"; but if you have it, there is always cream of chicken or cream of celery to try. [There are probably other cream soups out there that would liven up the dish, but I have to stick with what MR Picky will eat.

Terry, there are only two of us, and I like left-overs, so cook lots when I make this dish.
default_eat.gif
I think I put 6 of those hand size pieces of round steak in the crock pot this morning (might have been 7, one package had a couple smaller pieces in it); I usually only eat one piece of meat, but Shayne will have two (which is why cutting up the left-overs and mixing all together works better for us for left-overs, otherwise Shayne eats mostly meat and I end up eating lots of noodles with sauce
default_doh.gif
default_wink.png
).

Your Shayne sounds like my farm help, he is a big meat eater. I'm going to make this tomorrow night or Sunday. Today we need to go to a viewing so we are having takeout, just don't know what kind yet. Tomorrow hubby is getting hay early, then we are going to the fair, so after eating a bunch of junky fair food, I may not want to cook, we'll see.

Jill, I've made that pie with pork and used cream of chicken soup and mixed veggies. I think the mushroom soup sounds good, or creme of broccolli or creme of celery.

I would think you could use ANY meat pretty much for pot pie. My Mom's stepfather, when I was a little girl, raised show rabbits for meat and fur. I'm sure we had pot pie of them. I know we had them "fried" and "baked". They always told my little sister and I it was chicken; but I got old enough to figure out the shapes and size weren't right, plus the taste was some different. That ended that-we weren't eating the "bunnies"-no way, no how!!! (Can't figure out how my Grandmother cooked them (fried or baked) so well. I have tried and they just don't taste right. I used to be able to find rabbit in the meat dept. but not now. Wonder if a meat processing place that also sells some might have it, hmmmm?

Tonight I have a sirloin steak marinating. My son likes to throw together his own marinades. Just tries stuff. So that's what I am doing-I have mixed some balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, minced onion and a little lemon juice together with a little water for marinade. Smells good! Then I am going to bake some large Idahos and make a scalloped corn souffle. We love this recipe. It came out of the Central States Pony Club's 'Favorites From Our Stables' cookbook. This recipe was donated by Anne Brumm from AGS Stables.

Scalloped Corn Souffle

1 can cream corn

1 can whole kernel corn (don't drain)

1 box Jiffy (or Martha White) corn muffin mix

1 stick of butter, melted

1 cup sour cream

1 egg

Mix all the ingredients together. Put in a casserole dish-no lid. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. YUMMM!!!

Meatball soup. I made up a new batch of meatballs this afternoon, and made soup with them. Turned out pretty good. He liked it, so it could have been too bad.
default_wink.png

^^^ Everything sounds yummy!!! ^^^

Today, I am making oven BBQ chicken thighs with the skins removed (will use those to make some dog food, I think),. and my first attempt at cutting the carbs of one of H and my favorites -- crock pot mac & cheese. I'm planning to put in a head of cauliflower and some zucchini. Hope it's good... Green beans and probably a small tossed salad to round it out.

H has a doctor's appointment today. Just routine, but I get pretty worked up and since I took over the cooking, I have lost a lot of weight, but I think he's kinda gained some. So just trying to keep him, me and our friend, Priscilla, healthy yet well fed. God knows, I'm going to be stalking our voicemail to hear how his blood work comes back!!!

He cracks me up, though... He cannot eat today until dinner, because his doctor's appointment is after work at 2:45pm. I barely remembered what I told him I was planning for today until before he left for work, he told me he set the crock pot (for the mac & cheese) out! I just hope he thinks it tastes good!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had dental work for a crown on an upper molar today and a temporary crown on- so soft food tonight. I am going to make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and Baking Powder Biscuits.

Chicken Noodle Soup

1 t. vegetable oil

1/2 c. minced onion

1/2 c. diced carrots

1/2 c. sliced celery

1/4 t. minced garlic

1/8 c. cornstarch

1/4 t. dried oregano flakes

3 c. reduced sodium chicken broth

2.c. peeled diced potatoes

1/4 c. chopped cooked chicken

1/2 c. milk

1 c. uncooked soup noodles

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle cornstarch and oregano over vegetables and cook and stir about 1 minute. Stir in broth and potatoes. Cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Add chicken, milk and noodles. Cover and simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.

This soup has a slightly creamy broth that is very tasty. You can also substitute rice for the noodles.

Night before last I made the beef and noodles recipe with the mushroom soup, it was really good. I used one half of a london broil then last night I made vegtable beef soup with the other half.

The weather here has been cool and perfect for working outside, so I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to strip all the stalls in the big barn and the stallion barn. It took me all day, and then I rebedded them, so needless to say I can barely walk today. I'm glad I made enough soup for two meals, cause we are having it again tonight with grands biscuits. When I work outside I am so gratful for my slow cooker.

Husband couldn't wait to get home, so we stopped at Culver's. Fish dinner for him and a kid's chicken tender meal for me Hee Hee! Tomorrow night I am planning to make Skillet Chicken Stew. It's quick and easy. The little trick for taste is a bit of cornstarch and katsup at the end. It has chunks of chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, onion, SWEET POTATO and celery. It isn't really 'soupy'. Rather more thick like goulash is. I'll make my baking powder biscuits. I can't loose any weight by making them though. It's hard to stop eating them-especially while they are hot or warm!

That soup sounds awesome and I've been in the mood to make some chicken soup. Going to making some soon!!!

That crock pot mac & cheese that I tried to modify and cut the calories and carbs with cauliflower did not turn out well. I only tasted it because I was coming down with some kind of bug by the time it was ready to eat. While H has eaten it 4x since I've made it, each time, he has declared he doesn't like it. Since I am pretty much someone who deliberately hordes food, he has SO MANY choices even when I'm home too late to cook or not feeling good (each day this week until today!), I'm not sure why he keeps deciding to eat it! NEXT time, I'm just going to use "my" normal recipe for crock pot mac & cheese (it is SOOOOO good!), but at the time it's ready to eat, either serve it with low carb sides, or mix in some low carb sides to mine (like steamed broccoli, etc.).

TONIGHT, it should be at least partially fool proof. Hamburgers, salad and depending on what recipes I can find either oven fries (bad!) or oven fried zucchini "chips" or "fries" (less bad -- but not sure if I have the stuff on hand or if they will be good to eat).

Hey, what's going on with the not feeling well? I keep getting real mild abdominal cramps each night and some during the day. Of course, I do have IBS, so that probably explains mine. Except is has been fairly dormant for years thanks to Probiotics! I think it's stress stress stress again. I have an IBS cookbook, but IBS is a goofy things, some people can tolerate things others can't. There's always bread and water (or toast and tea),

Oh yeah, I'm feeling better and can't hardly wait to eat dinner... which is hamburgers again tonight, with some waffle fries and a salad. I am HUNGRY!

We went to a 4-H Fun Day yesterday-all day. It was a bit chilly with the wind, but still nice. They had in-hand, ride and drive classes (all size equines). So we decided to get a carry-out pizza for supper and bought a ready to eat cherry pie. Tonight I have Butterfly pork chops in the crockpot. Cut up some Yukon Gold potatoes, put the chops and salt and pepper on top and then pour cream of potatoe soup over the top (bit of milk and water to thin it). Neither of us like mushrooms, so we don't use cream of mushroom soup like my recipe called for and H. doesn't like celery, which would have been my next pick. Figured with the potatoes, might as well use cream of potatoe!

Chicken legs, probably a combo of oven baked BBQ and oven "fried", mashed potato-cauliflower cross (Idahoian mix + head of cauliflower -- seriously cuts the calories, the carbs, and makes it from like 3 servings into 6, which reheat great!), and some honey glazed fresh baby carrots
default_eat.gif
Maybe salads for H and our friend, P. I already ate a HUGE salad for lunch.

I don't know what yet, but something out of hamburger. We have lots of hamburger, so eat lots of hamburger (and other beef cuts).

We are having cheeseburgers, oven waffle fries, and salad. I'd like to say I'm going to try and eat mostly salad, but it just doesn't feel like that kind of a day to me
default_biggrin.png

default_sad.png
Our hamburger turned out not to still be good, despite the date. So we went out for dinner and that was good.

Tonight, I have a speaking engagement in Northern VA and won't be home until late. Debating do I pack a sandwich or hit a drive through on the way home! I should pack a sandwich!

Tomorrow, I'd like to make some chicken veggie soup in the crock pot, salad and some kind of muffins. It is soup weather here!!!

You are so right about it being soup weather, We had roast chicken with potates and corn last night. I was having a serious bad OA day, and hubby had to open the shrink wrap on the chicken and chop the taters. I haven't been able to take any anti-inflamatory meds since June, becuase I now have an ulcer from taking them for so many years. My poor fingers look like fat sausage links, my back and hips were screaming at me, can't wait for medicare to kick in which happens in Dec. so I can get my hips done.

Anyway I figured the OA pain was worse so last night I took a pill and another one this morning, much better at least my blood pressure has gone down, and the pain is bearable, so I have stopped trembling.

Tonnight we are having chicken pot pie, I don't have any buscuit mix so I'm topping it with grands. Should be good.

Back