What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oven BBQ chicken, baby carrots, green beans and maybe mashed cauliflower
default_smile.png

I cooked a flank steak last night. It was broiled in the oven after having marinated several hours in a sauce whipped up with honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and lime juice. Tonight the leftover will be just barely reheated and placed atop of a CHAYOTE SALAD. Chayote is a Mexican squash. Other ingredients in the salad will be bell pepper, jalapenos, avocado, and cheese. It will be tossed with a homemade cilantro vinaigrette. A complete meal, and oh how I love cilantro, avocado, and steak!

I'm not going to be home until late this evening, so I'm making some big salads ahead of time tonight. Baby lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, sweet yellow pepper, shredded cheese, hardboiled eggs, and bacon. Some Hawaiian bread, too
default_eat.gif

Decided to do the White Chili with Chicken again tonight. Then I am going to do a large meatloaf tomorrow night and then use the leftovers in the crockpot for chili like earlier in the thread. Ahhh, 3 nights taken care of-that's better!

Tonight, it's "Grown Up Beans & Franks" (just loaded with grilled diced bell peppers, grilled diced onions, and grilled sliced hot dogs), tossed salad, and sugar free banana pudding.

Yesterday the weather was so nice, I stayed out most of the day, and fixed grilled cheese sandwiches for us for dinner. Tonight is a football night,(Go Ravens) so I'm makeing another simple dinner. Steak, and baked potatoes, and I think I'll fry up an eggplant that hubby picked last night. I took a pork roast out for tommorrow night, so I can put the leftovers in the crockpot on Sat. and make pulled pork sandwiches, but I like mine with slaw and am all out of cabbage and freash carrots, so I'll get hubby to pick some up on his way home from work.

When I roast my pork roast I don't use any rub, just put into a pan add salt & pepper and roast till done in a 350 degree oven. Not sure yet what veggies I'll fix.

For my pulled pork, I take the left over roast, uncut, usually half, and rub with a mixture of brown sugar, small amount of vinagar, white, salt, pepper, let it cook for a couple of hours on high, then I turn to low and add honey BBQ sauce and finish cooking all day, I pull it apart before going out to feed horses and keep it cooking, so when we are done with chores it is more then ready.

Going to make my guy sausage gravy and biscuits tonight. Homemade gravy and homemade baking powder biscuits. Not sure what I will have with it. Probably a green veggie. Maybe I can talk him into firing up the coals outside and his dutch oven and doing a "dump" cake.

This evening, H is getting hay, so it will be where he may eat late, and God knows I don't want to wait too long for dinner (ha-ha!). So for tonight, I'm making H, our friend and myself some "cold plates" with tuna salad, a bacon-ranch pasta salad (that's .loaded with cucumber and tomatoes to cut some of the carbs and calories), white grapes, and fruity Greek yogurt for our friend and I, and cheese for H. That way it can stay in the fridges until we're ready to eat, which will most likely be three different times between the group of us three!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Monday night football, so we are having cheesburgers made with ground chuck served with homegrown tomatoes, yum!

I forgot about cold plates. My husband will eat a nice chef's salad with lettuce, meats, shredded carrots, hard boiled egg, croutons if we have them, crumbled bacon if we have it, but leave off the tomatoes for him (not me, and add cukes too!). He won't do tuna, chicken, egg, or potatoe salads though (yummm!).

Tonight we did BBQ with ground beef, Ole Salty Potatoe chips (like kettle chips) and green peas. He's flipping the game on off and on, but zeroing in on "Shark Tank" , another of his favorites.

Tonight, it's kinda "second verse, same as the first."

H ended up moving equipment around yesterday and only got one load of hay. He's planning on bring load after load home until dark this afternoon / evening.

So, cold plates again. This time for him, it will be about the same. For P and I, I think some hard boiled eggs, a some baby carrots and sliced sweet peppers (with ranch or something to dip),, greek yogurt, grapes... And probably some Hawaiian buns that should be eaten.

Planning on actually cooking SOMETHING tomorrow (chicken or pork ternderloin). But, I like cold plates and I think H and P do, too. Easy to eat and have it taste like it should at whatever time you get the chance to eat!

-- on a side note, I got some microwavable, dishwashable DIVIDED plates on eBay for a great price. I think if the lids aren't washed on the top shelf of the dishwasher, they warp. But they are handy to send food to our friend (H runs it over). I can keep it closed with rubber bands or masking tape, or even probably plastic wrap instead of a lid. I love these though for the cold plates the last day or so because it's easy to make us each our own "special" one and they obviously are also super for hot meals. Normally H and I eat hot meals together so wouldn't use a divided plate, but for things to be eaten later, pretty nifty! It was like $15 for a set of four including shipping
default_yes.gif

I have a couple of divided plates and hubby uses them to take leftover lunch into work as when heated in the microwave the food doesn't run. The heat is back here, gone is our lovely fall like weather, I had to turn to air back on, so I'm going to keep cooking simple. Tonight I'm baking chicken leg quarters in the oven, enough for two meals. I'll serve with rice and a veggie tonight, then tomorrow I'm making a chicken salad with lettece, tomatoes. Tomorrow is supposed to be really hot so a cold meal will be appreciated, and icecream for dessert.

We had pizza last night. Tonight I am going to thaw out some "leftovers" in the freezer and make H some meatballs, marinara sauce (all in the freezer) over mostocolli pasta. There's enough for one (watch my son show up-more pasta, less sauce and meatballs per guy! LOL!). I'm not sure what I am going to have yet. Grocery day is 4 days away yet; but I am going to get things for cold plates. That all sounds good. This is supposed to be our last day for hot hot weather. Back to the 70's tomorrow (hurray) and even some 60's coming up.

Gonna have steak tonight, and since I don't have any potatoes, I'm making up a packaged mac and cheese side dish with bacon in it. And, I'll figure out a veggie later.

Roast pork loin, a combo of mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes (honestly taste better than "just' mashed potatoes to me and cut the carbs and calories by a lot), sautéed zucchini, and slightly glazed baby carrots
default_eat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight is crockpot round steak with mushroom gravy (just throw a can of cream of mushroom soup in the pot), served over hot noodles. When I make it, I make lots, so we have left-over; I use two packages of round steak (ours are around 2# packages, at least that's what I told the guy when he butchered our heifer), a big can of cream of mushroom soup, a regular can of sliced mushrooms and season to taste.

OH that steak with mushrooms in the crockpot sounds so good. Do you slice it first, or just put in individual portions, or cook it whole, then slice? Sounds like something I need to cook.

Tonight it is pork chops served with pasta salad and peas and carrots. Hubby has to go pick up the hay wagon so he can pick up hay early Sat. morning. It is our fair weekend and our hay guy will be going to the fair and so will we on Sat.

The guy who processes our home raised beef cuts the round steak into roughly hand sized pieces (I could lay one on my hand and it would cover my palm and fingers, roughly; some are bigger, some are smaller). I brown the meat in a frying pan first, then layer it in the crockpot; the whole small can of mushrooms juice and all goes in first, then a layer of meat, season, layer of mushroom soup, layer of meat, season, layer of mushroom soup. I cook it on low all day; I put it in at about 8 this morning, we probably won't eat til 7-8 tonight (Shayne's combining wheat, so works til about dark if he doesn't wet out). I'll warn you though, the mushroom soup looks gross during the cooking process, almost looks curdled for awhile, then it'll kind of blend with the beef juices. And, we actually like the gravy portion a bit better as left-overs, as it'll thicken. If I'm ambitious, I'll cut up the left-over meat, into bite-size pieces and mix the left-over noodles, meat, peas and gravy together, and have one-dish left-overs. [if I'm not ambitious, I leave the meat in large pieces in a separate container in the fridge and mix the rest together and reheat as two parts for future meals (usually get 2-3 meals out of this dish, since I cook two packages of the round steak).

Thank you for responding, we don't raise beef but buy from the butcher shop about 7 miles up the road, just a country store, so to speak. We love the round steak, and yes hand size portions work great, that means I can cut a whole one in half. There are only three of us here, Me, Hubby, and my farm helper. I love dinners were I can cook in the crockpot and then have dinner the next day too. Working on a farm is hard enough without slaving over a hot stove. I'm going to try this soon. Thanks!

Tomorrow, I'm planning to use the left over pork tenderloin (which I will cube) for that bisquick "chicken" (turned pork!) pot pie. I think that would work well??? Hoping so, because I liked it the first time for sure and it would be something to do with the balance as we cannot eat it all and I like to "re do" what's leftover whenever possible because we seem to eat it better that way.

Anyone have an opinion of it cubed pork tenderloin would be an acceptable swap for cubed chicken? I think I will use peas, carrots, and freshly sautéed mushrooms as the potpie veggies.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back