Whats Cooking ? Whats for dinner ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha, I really appreciate your use of flowers, particularly when anyone wants to use them as decor for edibles! I am including edible flowers in my cut-flower garden.

However, I had to verify some information as I posted. Here is a link to information on Carolina Jasmine, which is toxic.
https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Gelsemium+sempervirens
Pansy, on the other hand, comes HIGHLY recommended!
https://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/10/what-flowers-are-edible/
You made some lovely cupcakes, and my business plan includes educating and encouraging about unexpected uses for our flowery friends. Just be cautious about what you use, and the resources you use to verify edibles.

As for dinner, I'm doing a roast pork butt (they were on sale) with a Cuban mojo sauce. The sauce is a citrus base of LOTS of garlic, orange, lime, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Recipe calls for an overnight marinade, I only had 3 hours available. It's baking now.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I have red beans to serve it with and we'll see what other side(s) go along.

Marsha, I really appreciate your use of flowers, particularly when anyone wants to use them as decor for edibles! I am including edible flowers in my cut-flower garden.

However, I had to verify some information as I posted. Here is a link to information on Carolina Jasmine, which is toxic.
https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Gelsemium+sempervirens
Pansy, on the other hand, comes HIGHLY recommended!
https://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/10/what-flowers-are-edible/
You made some lovely cupcakes, and my business plan includes educating and encouraging about unexpected uses for our flowery friends. Just be cautious about what you use, and the resources you use to verify edibles.
Yes, that question came up as we were nibbling, about whether the jasmine was edible. We did not eat any, just pulled them out. No one was poisoned. When I have used jonquils, I wrap the stems in plastic wrap. Should have done that with the jasmine to be on the safe side. I knew pansies were safe as I have crystallized them in sugar before.

I love eating oxalis flowers (and leaves!). I could eat a bouquetfull!

Dinner was dukkah crusted whole roast chicken with tomato, cucumber and parsley salad, honey, yoghurt and tahini sauce (omg so yum!) and pide.

Enjoyed a lamb roast with roast feta, molasses and oregano with a vegetable korma and hot little roti breads in the pan the other night too!

Now I’m packing all my pots and pans and food and everything and it might be mostly eating out for a while before we unpack everything on the other side!!

Interesting all the differences in cuisine... I think we definitely eat more asian influenced food in oz!

I wonder what other flowers are edible besides pansies 🤔🤔

Breakfast: I am one of those people who can eat the same thing over and over again everyday… until I can’t 🤣 ive been having toast everyday for the past month or so and im toasted out. So this morning i made some breakfast tacos. Refried black beans, potato hash browns from the air fryer and guacamole.

I use corn tortillas. I find if I cook them on a skillet for a few minutes they toast up perfectly and don’t fall apart… much better than the microwave 😊

Hi Kelly,

Here is a link to an NC State Extension paper on edible flowers:
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/choosing-and-using-edible-flowers-ag-790
Squash blossoms are commonly used. They're frequently stuffed, then fried and served as appetizers. There are also unexpected ones, like broccoli and artichoke flowers. The photos are clear and colorful, and the chart contains warnings about possible side effects.

As always, BE SURE OF THE IDENTITY BEFORE EATING!

As far as meals here, nothing special. Even tonight was just rice with red beans and an egg torte. Flavorful and simple.

I hope your dinner turned out perfectly, Kelly! I had to look up your menu as both items were totally new to me! It sounds like tempeh is very versatile, how did you prepare it?

I've a friend who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. (The not-so-pleasant doctor walked through the door, stated "You should either be in a coma or dead." Handed her a prescription and walked out.😲😵🤯 The nurse came in and explained about the diabetes.)

Anyway, as I had gestational diabetes both times I was pregnant and my most recent A1C was at the maximum of normal, I've decided to join my friend in a major lifestyle change.

Would anyone here have some diabetic recipes to share? Even better, a cookbook with tasty recipes?

Yesterday was slow-cooker chicken legs sprinkled with 1 tablespoon Knoor chicken boullion and 2 teaspoons garlic and herb Mrs. Dash. I added 3/4 cup water, then cooked until hanging from bone.

Used the broth to make a roasted tomatillo salsa and served it with white rice and red beans.

Tonight, used leftover rice and beans to make casamiento. Leftover chicken pulled from bones and quick fried with tomato, onion and a teaspoon of adobo chilis for a bit of smokey kick.

I hope your dinner turned out perfectly, Kelly! I had to look up your menu as both items were totally new to me! It sounds like tempeh is very versatile, how did you prepare it?

I put 1 package of tempeh and 1/2 cup of walnuts in the food processor until they broke up and were small in size.

Then I put them on the stove top and added about half a cup of veggie broth. Cooked it until done, which was an experiment for me…. I really wasn’t sure if it was done or not. Then added 1/4 cup salsa and about 1 TBSP taco seasoning, cooked until all the flavors were mixed well.

I used this filling as a replacement of taco meat. It turned out pretty good, hubby like it too. I will definitely make it again.

Latest posts

Back