Whats Cooking ? Whats for dinner ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
We used to have a cooking section on the forum a few years ago now. People were able to post recipes , tips , tricks etc.

There was one particular thread on it called "whats for dinner" . Members posted daily or when they had time ,what was on the menu either last night or tonight. It could be the easiest meal (lets face it for those with horses we need quick and easy) & sometimes the menu was a little more complex/adventurous.

With so many new members ,I thought it would be fun to see if this thread kicked off again :)

We've decided who likes "Wine or Whiskey" , now whats everyone cooking to accompany our beverages ??

Please no Judgement , if you do not like what someones eating or you do not like a particular food ( no need to make a comment) , keep scrolling.

HAPPY 👨‍🍳👩‍🍳🍲🥫🥘🥚🥝🍢🦑🥗🥓🥔🦐🥜🥑🥞🥒🥐🥙 COOKING

We are using Blue Apron. It has introduced us to some spices and cooking techniques. My husband has never cooked, but he enjoys the precisely measured ingredients and timed directions in the recipes. As for clean up, he marvels at the amount of bowls and pans and claims it almost isn't worth it. My dear, cooking has ALWAYS been like this, you just never noticed before!
A technique I've learned is about roasting vegetables; I never knew they should be roasted at such a high temperature and for so long. As for spices, I think smoked paprika is one of the most "usable" ones. Most are too exotic for every day cooking.

Love this, Ryan! Tonight we’re going simple, venison burgers and oven baked potato ‘chips’….easy!

It is interesting to read about your experience with Blue Apron, Marsha. I’ve seen it advertised and have wondered about it.

I’ve gone vegetarian!! 😍…. Mostly a whole food, plant based diet…. Almost vegan, but not.

My history….
A few years ago I was having stomach issues, so I HAD to go gluten free, not by choice. A couple of years ago we tried the Keto diet. Months in, I began to have stomach issues and was getting FAT. I said enough is enough!! I did some research and totally changed my diet. I eat mostly a whole food plant based diet.…almost vegan, but not. In theory you could actually be a junk food vegan, so that’s not good. So I eat a whole food plant based diet when I am home, but vegetarian when we go out to eat. It CRAZY because when we go out to eat, I can’t wait to get home and eat veggies again. I have never felt better in my life!! I have NEVER been this thin!! I FEEL GREAT!!

So my dinners and food will be mostly veggies 😍

Tonight for dinner I had refried beans, corn, and onion enchiladas. Sooooo gooood!! Of course a glass of wine… or 2 😍😍

ETA: Welcome back from vacay MaryFlora, hope you had a great time & we MISSED you!!

My husband recently retired, so I get treated to crock pot chicken, beef, or pork twice a week. He also grills steaks on Saturday, my fav. So he cooks Monday, Friday, and Saturday. I cook Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Wednesday I'm home late, so no dinner for me and he's on his own. It's been really nice coming home to dinner already cooked. 😊
Kelly, I've got stomach issues also, but it's veggies that kill me! I can eat leafy veggies and potatoes. Small quantities and not everyday of others. I cut way back on gluten, but didn't have to completely eliminate it. Your enchiladas would have killed me ☠, but I do tostadas! 😁

I'm glad y'all mentioned smoked paprika! I knew I was missing something from my space cabinet but couldn't remember what.
16474534454013970705637593709950.jpg

As I've been advancing my cooking skills since moving into the house (finally), these ate the three books I'm getting the most from.

Last night, we had rice steamed with chicken bouillon, a bit of Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb and chopped tomatoes. Central American red beans done in the Instapot, with smashed garlic, 1/4 of a small onion, and a teaspoon of red curry paste.

Tonight, I'll turn those leftovers into casamiento (fry the rice in hot oil, then add the red beans, cook down until thickened). I'll serve that with oven-roasted BBQ short ribs and potato salad.

You folks better start setting an extra plate at the table! It all sounds delicious! 😋

We also enjoy stir fry and soup with lots of vegetables and enjoy experimenting with spices. This winter I experimented with Irish brown bread and that went well with soups and as morning toast. It is also a very easy bread to make. One recipe uses a bottle of Guiness and that one was made 4 times. 🤔 😂

HM and Dragon Hill… totally wonderful to have a cooking spouse! My hubby doesn’t cook often but is not fussy and is willing to try any new recipe. He does enjoy seasoning things and will do dishes!🤗

Kelly and Dragon Hill you went through a lot figuring out your individual needs. It sounds like quite a journey too.

Thank you, Kelly! 🤗 It was a fun time in Maryland with family!

Silver City I like your cookbooks! I enjoy looking through cookbooks at thrift stores and garage sales and finding something old or interesting. It is especially fun to find the pages with spatters or handwritten notes.

Attached is my Mom’s copy of Joy of Cooking. The cake and cookie sections have a few spatters here and there. 😉 It looks like she set a hot pan on the date bar page from the scorch marks…not sure if that was an editorial comment or the result of multitasking!😂8AADEB97-6E91-4A43-8678-9C2F1C34F7FC.jpeg

Tonight:
Roasted cubed potatoes with SMOKED PAPRIKA, dill, and nutritional yeast. Cooked at 400 degrees on parchment paper, no oil, didn’t toss them half way through cooking either. Dipping sauce was equal parts of maple syrup & dijon mustard.

I also made some hummus today.
1 can chick peas, undrained
1 can white northern beans, drained
3 tsp minced garlic
I just put it all in my Vitamix blender. Easy peasy.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ryan! Everything sounds delicious! Another way to connect with all you cool people who I admire and learn from! ❤️

I am a real foodie! I loooove cooking. Also a fan of smoked paprika! and nutritional yeast powder. I also love sumac, sprinkled on everything for a tangy hit! I also love drizzling some molasses on anything i roast, towards the end of baking to add some caramelisation.

Last night was date night, so no cooking! We went to a great rock’n’roll pizza dive in downtown Sydney... great pizza (not the usual Australian style which is a bit frankenstein) and really interesting beer list! including this one: $60!!! we didn’t order it but I did try the Stone Brewing.

Tonight is salmon and rice bowl!

Attachments

• B7DE2A0F-8D2B-4998-ACD8-02BF96C0514F.jpeg
    B7DE2A0F-8D2B-4998-ACD8-02BF96C0514F.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 8C038770-94FE-4805-888A-FC9142623101.jpeg
    8C038770-94FE-4805-888A-FC9142623101.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 10
Blue Apron last night. Black bean and chicken tostados with chipotle paste and a salsa made of radishes, jalepenos, and tomatoes. Different, but pretty tasty. I might make the black bean paste again: white part of 2 green onions, 2 cloves garlic sauteed then add the can of beans with 1/2 C water and mash, then add sour cream.

Tonight was a new batch of red beans with a healthy dollop (well, for me, it was only a mounded teaspoon in a pound of dry beans 😆) of adobo chipotles added. Rice first fried, then added chppoed tomato and onion to finish cooking the regular way. Quick-fried a whole jalapeño and whole mini red, orange and yellow sweet peppers. Then used that oil to do up some thin sliced beef. Served with corn tortillas.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ryan! Everything sounds delicious! Another way to connect with all you cool people who I admire and learn from! ❤

I am a real foodie! I loooove cooking. Also a fan of smoked paprika! and nutritional yeast powder. I also love sumac, sprinkled on everything for a tangy hit! I also love drizzling some molasses on anything i roast, towards the end of baking to add some caramelisation.

Last night was date night, so no cooking! We went to a great rock’n’roll pizza dive in downtown Sydney... great pizza (not the usual Australian style which is a bit frankenstein) and really interesting beer list! including this one: $60!!! we didn’t order it but I did try the Stone Brewing.

Tonight is salmon and rice bowl!
Good for you for a date night. :) Interesting for sure. I can't imagine that beer being a big seller. 🤪 I think it could be on their hidden menu list🤣

Latest posts

Back