what would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
Is a pet. She needs her feet trimmed every 4 weeks. She is not very pretty and I don't want her to be bred but I want to have room for a better quality horse to show and breed some day. I am afraid if I let her go to someone else they will breed her. Plus she isn't the friendliest of horses but she was wild when I got her. She is tiny only 28" and plain brown. I don't want her to be moved from place to place either. Do you keep her for ever? I'm so torn.

I've been in your spot in the past. I did find good homes for the minis I had but were not what I needed to pursue my goals. Keep your chin up and look for just the right home for her. You may even end up making some good friends in the process
default_yes.gif

If she were mine.

I would try to keep her. Work with her often to try and overcome her wildness. Build a relationship. If she does well have familys that want to buy her come to your place and "test drive" her.

If the home was educated and truly loved her they wouldnt breed her. mabe to an advanced youth/4-Her or an adult needing some love.
default_rolleyes.gif

I've got the same thing here and I'm not worried about it.

The right people come along eventually.

Add on and make room for the other horses you have in mind. Its not that hard to build.

Is a pet. She needs her feet trimmed every 4 weeks. She is not very pretty and I don't want her to be bred but I want to have room for a better quality horse to show and breed some day. I am afraid if I let her go to someone else they will breed her. Plus she isn't the friendliest of horses but she was wild when I got her. She is tiny only 28" and plain brown. I don't want her to be moved from place to place either. Do you keep her for ever? I'm so torn.
I have a mare that sounds similar, except my girl is a friendly, mischievious pocket pet. I have full intentions of keeping her for her life; she makes me smile (I hope to train her drive for fun, but if it doesn't work out, she has a home here). She has her own paddock and shelter right next to everyone else, and sometimes gets to run with the other girls when they are in their drylot.

I've had her a few years and she has really come around. She comes to you now unlike when we 1st got her you couldn't catch her for anything. She likes to be groomed. I guess mostly I'm afraid she would't be cared for like she needs. Her hooves grow kinda wacky. But I feel strongly that she shouldn't be bred to reproduce these faults and if I did place her I'm affraid someone would be tempted to breed her. Has anyone ever used a contract not to breed a horse when they have placed them in a new home?

I would spay the mare and then not worry because she could NEVER be bred. This would also possibly allow her more freedom while she is with you as she could be with any horse at any time. We haven't done this for several years, but check with your vet as to the cost...it wasn't really cost prohibitive the last time we had it done, and it does a lot for your peace of mind if she goes to a new home. She sounds like she's really improved with your care and attention.
default_yes.gif

Keep in mind that the horse(s) you (and the others) worry about making "right" for you or worrying about keeping room for them when you don't really have a plan for them... these ARE horses that can go on and be the light of someone else's life! I've seen that happen with the horses were no longer compatable with my own goals. They're super stars now in the lives of their new people
default_wub.png

What about getting in touch with a local 4-H or other equine club and seeing if there are any people out there interested in working with her at your farm? If she clicks with someone, you could always ask them if they want to take her home on a lifetime lease. Best of both worlds, you get to know the people and they get to know the horse and see if they click, but you also maintain some controll over her after she leaves the property and know that the decision of who she goes to next will come back to YOU if she ever needs to be re-homed in the future.

Melanie just posted an EXCELLENT idea!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

We don't have a 4-H program for minis (yet). But we've had situations like your's occur and we advertise for a pet home and interview the interested parties. They tend to be local people, so we check out their place too and then go visit later.

Would you sell her or give her free for lease. I am Ok with not receiving cash for her. I am most interested in her having a good home. A 10-14 year old to love her. Yeah that sounds so awesome. She is AMHA would you withhold the papers? You guys have helped me so much, great ideas to look into. Summer would be a great time to check out the local 4Hr's.

Latest posts

Back