What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]thanks guys, Shari has very good points but the current owner is not selling her, she was kinda scammed and paid for this donkey thinking it was breedable, she had it shipped a long distance and now is trying to find the right home. she doesn't feel she can keep her as she has a jack and several stallions and fears that she could get acidentally bred. she knows i am a nut for my critters and knows i would be a good home. i know some people might be trying to "pass the buck" but i don't think this is the case here. you are only saying how you feel and trying to protect me from the unknown finacially and emotionally and thank you for that
default_yes.gif
: . and Marty...i have the time but not the money and not to sure about the energy
default_wacko.png
: anymore. these are all things i need to think about, jeeze, i wish i hadn't looked :eek: . Nikki [/SIZE]

Your heart will know.
default_smile.png
I'm a big believer that your insides will know the answer if you listen. Let everyone here know what you "heard". :bgrin

chico

Hi NIkki,

I also got a jenny that had feet that were folded over and one foot was so crooked it was scary!! I have had her 2 years now and with constant care on her feet she is doing great!! The crooked foot has even straightened up alot, I will see if I have any pictures when I got her to show you before and after. Good luck with your difficult decision!!

Heidi

Poor Nikki....I can't imagine the turmoil going on in your head :no:

I know whats eating at your heart...the fact that if you don't take her in...

what will be her future fate? For that VERY reason I would take her in as well. And if it was more than I could handle after I got her, then I would find a proper caring/loving "forever" home for her.

Terri, I couldnt of said it better myself. I have taken in (kept quit a few) and found homes for so many animals for that exact reason.The only way Nikki is going to know is if she tries, and I do believe this is going to work out and wont be a finacial burden on her like some seem to think. LIke Heidi has said, hers has straightened up alot too, so has mine...both with corrective trims and care to there hooves, and not just with one of mine, I have had my share of bad hooves with rescue donkeys, all have been corrected, and no costly expense. Nik will do what she feels is the right thing to do. Corinne

Knowing what Nikki has been going through and will not go into more than that. Taking in another to care would not be fair to her or the animals she has now. The bill alone from Tunia is got to be costing a major fortune.

Now those of you that know that...and say it will not cost much.

Why don't one of you step up and take said Donkey on? Sure most of you have truck and trailer..and you say said Donkey would not take much to care for.

That way said Donkey has care and Nikki gets a break from both taking care of another hurt animal and her heart and mind get a break too.

Just a thought.

If donkey can find its way to me I would happily take her on!! There is no way my husband would let me come and get her with gas being so high. Maybe with the Little Kings sale going on we could get a couple people to pitch in (rides) and we could get her to Michigan!!
default_yes.gif
: Just a thought!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari, If this donkey would find a way to me or be in our state..I would take this donkey on in a heartbeat, however Nikki is over 1,000 miles form me! I also know what Nikki has been going thru, and at one point, just a few weeks back.. did check into a donkey that was FOR SALE at a reasonable price for her, so that said~~ I know for a fact Nikki is looking for another one. This could also be a very good therapy animal for Nik. You mentioned in a post you had actually started to ride, maybe this would be a good therapy animal for you as well. Also, you mentioned you have done rescue in the past..I would think you would know donkeys can be notorious for having bad hooves, and the majority of the time all it takes is corrective trims to where the donkey at least is walking as comfy as possible. All the rescues I know of and have helped, have taken in donkeys with horrible hooves and most have been corrected with trimming. I have had donkeys that have actually had to learn to walk on hooves ..all because they never had any hoof care. SOME donkeys with tendon, ligament and hoof problems can never be helped back to tht point of being "perfect", but regardless...those donkeys can at least be made comfortable to the point of where they can get around, which is what I think NIk would do. DONKEY hooves are NOT like a horses! This has to be Niks and her familys choice not yours or mine, or anyone else. Nik will do what she feels is right. Corinne

Nikki,

I have been following this thread for awhile now......I think if it is something you feel you can take on, then wonderful.......but if your heart can't take anymore hurt.......then maybe it isn't such a good idea.....I know I always want to help any animal I see, but sometimes the heartache that goes along with it is not easy.
default_sad.png
Just be prepared for the decision you make. Also, I know Petunia, has put you through a roller coaster ride, not only financially but emotionally too. I know only you know if you can do this, so I wish you luck in whatever your decision is.
default_wink.png
:

Michele

Corinne am not trying to force Nikki one way or another. Just to offer another point of view. I never said Nikki had to do it my way.

Nikki has helped me a lot dealing with this accident, same type of accident she had. She has helped keep me going when I really did not feel I could. But I could also tell.. Nikki was getting so very tired. Sorry Nikki to post this here.

I know that kind of tired first hand.

Am sure there are other donkey folks out her way. I am really short money because of my medical bills...but I would donate what I could on gas for whoever took this donkey on.

Or let the Donkey sanuary(Spell?) know and have them go get that Donkey.

The 3 donkeys I took in before the car accident almost 7 years ago...had such tendon damage, Vet plastered them up..he did everything and he was a good Vet. Two of the three stated having flesh rotting off..there was nothing we could do for them.

So not all are easy cases. All three ended up being put down and that was after of months trying to put them to rights...and me ending up with such a big vet bill it was scary.

What I offer is a different point of view that is all.

Added: as for me taking on this donkey. I have learned to say no. Here are my reasons. First and foremost I do not have the money to take on any more animals than I have, exspecially if it was not in good health to start with. My first order of buisness is to provide the best care possible for the animals I already have.

2nd.. my health. I can barely walk and rely very heavliy on my DS & DH to care for my said animals until I can do it on my own. It would not be fair to them to add a sick or hurt animal they would not know how to deal with.

3rd.. I have so many medical bills I am running in the red as it is.

I could go on but I am sure you get the idea. There are times in ones life one has to say no. I had to stop doing any kind of resuce. My body, mind or finances just could not handle it.

You may think me all manners of evil because of it but that is your choice.

If donkey can find its way to me I would happily take her on!! There is no way my husband would let me come and get her with gas being so high. Maybe with the Little Kings sale going on we could get a couple people to pitch in (rides) and we could get her to Michigan!!
default_yes.gif
: Just a thought!!
default_smile.png
If Nikki decides not to take the little girl in....how much would shipping costs be to Michigan from New York?? This sounds like another good option for the sweet thing
default_yes.gif
:

Shari, the only thing any of us can hope for is that this donkey finds her way to someone who will love and take care of her. I am glad you and Nik have each other to help one another thru both your accidents. I have talked to NIkki on the phone and I am aware she definitely wants another donkey to keep Tunia company, I am also aware of what she can afford to spend, ~~I am just afraid that Nikki could end up with a donkey that could hurt her. I looked at one up this way, for her and found out the reason she was selling her so reasonable is she ran her over and has started to kick. I dont want Nikki to end up with one that could hurt her. I think it comes to a point where we all have to learn to say no, I still have to learn that... :bgrin :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
default_yes.gif
: and I definitely know how expensive doing rescue on my own can be. The donkey sanutuary that I think you might be referring to is located in Guleph (not sure on the spelling) Ontario, I know NIk is very close to the border but not sure how far she would be from them. Either way, all we all want is the best for this little donkey, and if Nik dont take this little gal, there has got to be someone close to her who will, and I do know right now shipping thru a regular shipper is very high. Wagon Training would be the best. (a few people ~~ point to point, to the destination) Thanks for caring about Nik, and being concerned. I'm going to the Little Kings Sale ....but I'm going , right on line. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: :eek: Corinne

Latest posts

Back