What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]i have someone who offered me a year old jenny that she bought but when it arrived to her home there was something wrong. it's feet are VERY crooked, the poor little thing walks on the sides of 3 of her hooves :no: . she had asked me awhile ago if i wanted her as she can not be breed and would make a friend for Petunia (if i ever get her home
default_wacko.png
: ), at that point with everything i had going on i said no thank you, i figured that was the last thing i needed was another cripple here to watch hobble around. anyway, we went last night to look at her, i knew i would end up there to see her :eek: . OMG what a sweet little thing, she is only maybe 25 inches maybe. teeny tiny thing but her feet and fetlock joints seemed to be all messed up with some sort of deformity, her hooves are are squished flat and rolled and she walkes on the outsides of them, hard to describe. i am so torn, i feel so bad for her but don't know if i could stand to see her like that but have to wonder if she is given to someone else what wil happen to her. uggg...i shoulda stayed home! by the way she is white with a bit of redish pink through her. am i asking for more heart ache? what would you all do? Nikki [/SIZE]

nikki,

I really don't have any advice, but from the discription, I wonder if she might not be a dwarf jenny (don't know if dwarfism affects donkeys, but sounds that way). At a year old, it would probably be pretty late to try and "fix" her legs, but it might be worth consulting a vet over (or someone who knows dwarves well, if that's the case).

[SIZE=14pt]hi Chanda, i was thinking dwarf too. she looks perfect from the pasterns up just really little and her bit is good so who knows. it was getting dark and freezing out so i didn't get a chance to take pictures, wish i would have. by the way, vet came and finally took xrays of Apollo feet, should hear from him on Monday. Nikki[/SIZE]

Hi Nikki,

I think I once read on the ADMS website that donkeys under 30" might be considered as "dwarves", but not sure. I think the tiny size at a year old might be another indication something is not quite right. Although, having said this, I have some pretty small perfectly formed donkeys here so who knows? Maybe we are breeding down the size in a good conformation now.

If she is a dwarf, you might have the vet check her over before committing. As you know, they can have some very special and "pricey" needs.

You sound like me. I go and look and can't ever seem to say no even though I certainly should sometimes......and then I worry if I don't take them.

I can't believe you didn't take pictures
default_sad.png
:bgrin

She sounds like a sweety
default_wub.png
:

When I first got E'ore...his hooves were really screwed up....they also curled under. And it took almost 2 yrs (monthly) of corrective trimmings to get them the best they could be. He continued be a high maintenance Donk when it came to his hooves.

Your lucky that Jody is your trimmer
default_yes.gif
: that will save lots of $'sssss

If you do decide to take her in... have a farrier come in and start the process of the correcting.

You knew darn good & well she was going to touch your heart....LOL...I am surprised she didn't ride home on your lap
default_wink.png
:

That is a tough decision? How do you think Tunia would be with her?

[SIZE=14pt]no Teri, there is no correcting this, she is really messed up, deformed bones that make her walk on the sides of her feet
default_sad.png
...[/SIZE]

Nikki, I wish you would of taken pics
default_yes.gif
: I have had rescue donkeys come in whos hooves were so screwed up we didnt think they would ever get back to anywhere near normal. :no: One actually had hooves that were so long they wrapped around her pastern and she walked on the side. That poor jenny didnt know what it was like to walk normal on a hoof. After several trims to where we get them back to almost normal. It takes time but it can be done. I would have a professional farrier show Jody exactly how to trim a hoof like she has. I will go tomorrow and take some pics of Clememtines hooves, and send them to you, she had extreamly long hooves completely curled, and a broken pastern on top of that when we rescued her. She is still walking on the side on one hoof but all 3 others are almost normal. :aktion033: The one she walks on the side with, there is nothing that can be done because of her pastern and healing over. She gets around great, and is able to play in the pasture with everyone. ...and when she wants to move, that girl CAN MOVE :eek: , to her walking like this is normal on that hoof, the poor gal has done it probably most of her life. :no: and they do abcess alot out the top, she doesnt let it bother her at all. I have seen and bred some pretty small ones who stayed under 31" and had very good conformations, no dwarf characteristics at all. Just because her feet are screwed up dont mean she is a dwarf. Miniature donkeys are not like a miniature horse. I think you should give this little love bucket a home and she will show you so much love in return...and be a companion to Tunia. The ones who really need us give us so much love in return. Corinne

Nikki, I know you wnat to help her. But my 2cents are... don't. You have enough on your plate now and do not need to take in an animals that is going to take tons of money to maybe get right again.

What you could do for that person..is locate a good donkey rescue and give her the number.

[SIZE=12pt]hi Corinne, i will see if i can get some pictures of her sent to me. i wouldn't have Jody touch these, our farrier is really cheap anyway, charged me $40.00 to do 5 horses, 2 big, 3 minis last time he came, so i would let him handle it
default_yes.gif
: . this little girls hooves are almost folded in half, not curled under from both sides but one edge almost touches the other, hard to explain. looks like her fetock joints have been broke and are almost right angles sideways. i am leaning towards "what the h*ll" everyone else here has issues why not one more :bgrin , she is a sweet thing
default_wub.png
: . i will fit right in hobbling along with them all
default_yes.gif
: , Nikki[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]hi Shari, i must have been posting at the same time you were
default_smile.png
, i kinda have those feelings of what you described. i wish i could just turn my back and stop thinking about her, that would be what my head says but my heart says bring her home. asking for heart break maybe :eek: . who knows maybe i will let hubby decide, he is Mr. Sensible, then if he whats to take her it will be his fault when it all goes bad
default_wink.png
: shhh...don't tell him that's my plan. [/SIZE]

Oh. . . I'm another big mush pot and if I visted, the little one would be mine. Like you, I would be sure if I didn't save the little one the result would be sad. I tried to save a baby pig in college, his mom sat on his legs and he didn't use them, and kept him in my kitchen. The first time he cried to be fed in the middle of the night I almost had heart failure. (As I recall I screamed and scared the boys who lived in the apartment next door.
default_smile.png
) I'd have the vet visit and give you the scoop on what your getting into though. This could be a big burden $ wise and you need to think with your head as well as heart. I'm sure Petunia would love a forever friend. Get good information so you can make a choice that is right for you and your family. Make a family choice, this way everyone will comfortable with the outcome.

chico

Good luck!
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]the vet has checked her and says she is heathly other then her leg/foot issues. he thinks there might not be alot to do about her feet at this point as they have been this way for a year (since birth). she can move around fine and doesn't even limp which i thought was odd seeing as she looks so deformed. Jody and i have already talked alot about her and of course he says if i want her then we'll go get her. just need to know what others think about it :bgrin , thanks for all of the replies thus far, things to think about...[/SIZE]

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes over your situation
default_sad.png
My husband is off to get Emily's new brother, a 6 hour drive. He doesn't have issues but is a big step for us anyway. I hope things turn out well with the little sweetie
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: . I lot of people have special needs, some are pushed off to the wayside others are in wonderful loving homes. The dear soul needs a chance.
default_yes.gif
: Sounds like you have a BIG WONDERFUL LOVING HEART!!!

Nikki, I think from talking to you , you will do just great with this donkey, and I know how much you want another one, it sounds like she has alot of the problem that Clementine had and it dont take alot of money to bring a donkey back on its hooves, all it takes is a few corrective trims, and if she has been like this for along time you can trim them back as far as possible and even then she will be able to get around great ...she already has adjusted to walking like this. this isnt the same as a dwarf mini with severe hoof problems which need corrective shoes ect. I will be waiting for my phone call telling me you have a new addition :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: , in your barn! Its so sad that some people think just because there is a deformity or "whatever" problem with a donkey or horse, they just want to push it off on rescue, or find it another home, where they dont have to be bothered with them, its a darn good thing they dont think that way about people. These animals need our help and deserve to be loved just like the perfect show donkey. Corinne

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Nikki, I guess we talked this little donkey up again, didn't we??
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]She sounds really sweet and you already know what I would do. I'd take her too, even if it were just to keep her from going to someone that wasn't going to take care of her. But I think that she would make a great companion for Petunia. She sounds very very sweet.
default_wub.png
:
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

hi Shari, i must have been posting at the same time you were
default_smile.png
, i kinda have those feelings of what you described. i wish i could just turn my back and stop thinking about her, that would be what my head says but my heart says bring her home. asking for heart break maybe :eek: . who knows maybe i will let hubby decide, he is Mr. Sensible, then if he whats to take her it will be his fault when it all goes bad
default_wink.png
: shhh...don't tell him that's my plan.

I used to do resuces and bring in animals...but after the first accident I had to learn to say no. Like you it was very hard. One can't save the world.

What I did was found numbers to folks that did rescues..real ones not those collectors or fly by night people that didn't know what they where getting into. And gave them the numbers to contact them.

With me in my shape and lack of money to take any more animals on than I have now (have 5)...I still have to say no when people ask. From what you discribe..doesn't sound like a simple fix. It is not just the hooves.. if the pastern and tendons are affected...will cost a lot of money with only an "if" for getting her well.

Is totally up to yo,u to do as you feel is right and what you can handle.

[SIZE=12pt]those who knows maybe i will let hubby decide, he is Mr. Sensible, then if he wants to take her it will be his fault when it all goes bad
default_wink.png
: shhh...don't tell him that's my plan. [/SIZE]

THAT is an AWESOME plan :bgrin

just make that "IF" things go bad... not "when" - you never know until you try, she justmight come out pretty good. and since she is young, she and Petunia may adopt each other - i know our mare Bella and filly Holly did, in fact Holly hangs out with Eve just like they are "real" sisters... somehow they feel the connection
default_wub.png
:

Nikki,you have already heard from the vet ...she is in good shape except her hooves, they can be corrected by corrective trims, at least to the point of where she is walking more comfortable. I have sent you some pic of one of my "bad" rescue donkeys...Clementine, she sounds just like this jenny with her hooves. We are keeping her hooves trimmed the best we can and she is in no pain, and enjoying her life as a pasture pet with the rest of my "pasture pets" :bgrin . Let me know if you got the pictures. Corinne

Guys,,re read what Nikki said,,it is not just her hooves. Her tendons/lower legs are all wrong.

That kind of thing..and yes.. I have dealt with it. Is very spendy to fix.."IF" it can be fixed.

Nikki doesn't need those kind of bills. When Tunia comes home..she will be a full time Job.

Nikki doesn't need two animals that need 24/7 care.

I know you all feel that this little donkey needs help.. I understand that. But Nikki has so much on her plate now.

I know I am most likely totally out of line.

What you can all do...is have that donkeys owner either pay for that donkeys care instead of passing the buck. OR call the Donkey sanctuary and let them know what is going on.

Here's my response to your original question:

Yes you certainly can be opening up a can of worms and yes this can end up in heartache. I've had many special needs animals throughout the years; it's no walk in the park. This does not sound like any quick fix, possibly no fix, and may end up costing you through the ying yang. There is no telling what is going to be involved until someone that knows something can give you estimates. She may have to wear braces or whatever, who knows, it's a crap shoot. And in your situation where you are so very far away from a vet, you are really taking something big on.

That being said, if you have the time, and the money, and the energy, go for it! I'm sure she would be better off in your care since it sounds like she hasn't had any!

Separate your emotions from your reality. Only you, really know your situation and what you can or cannot handle. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back