What would you do??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

New_Image

The vet bill came around for Lizzy...

Our vets office has 4 large animal vets and you get whoever is availible at the time. The first time we noticed Lizzy acting sick (A Thursday) we called the vet out, due to it being around 4th of July weekend there was only 1 vet on call and I have never met him before. The second he came into the barn I didnt like him, one of those gut feelings but what do you do? For those who dont remember Lizzy was, in my opinion, acting sick, colicy but yet it didnt seem like collic, the thought of founder crossed my mind, her stomach was noticably large, she felt cold, was depressed acting and had alarming grey/white gums and tounge and inside her vulva. Those are the signs I saw. This vet came and said several things it could be but he didnt think that was it, said she looked anemic so just give her some more grain, said nurseing mares can get white/grey colors like that, it shocked me he didnt seem to care about that when that was my biggest worry, he said we were probley dealing with a little collic just give her banamine and he gave her a shot of antibiodic for whatever reason, he didnt say why he gave it actually. He did talk about her being anemic but when my mom suggested he test he said he didnt need to there was no reason to test because either she is or isnt just up her grain.

Well Friday rolls around and she was better, I thought that was weird but oh well she was better.

Saturday morning she wouldnt eat hay, grain, apples anything. Wasnt drinking. I figured collic since thats what he said and took her on a nice walk in the trails. Any how thats going to far into the story, the point is we had to call another vet out saturday afternoon (This time my favorite vet was able to come out) and he was very shocked about the grey/white gums - at this point Lizzy was very weak and passed out when she tried to jerk her head up to keep him from looking in her mouth. This vet ran to get tubes and drew blood for several tests. Basicley I feel the first vet couldnt have been more wrong and rushed threw his job and didnt even seem to care or know what the heck he was taking about. Well it would be around $100 for his time and I really dont think I should have to pay that, had he been right there could have been something I could have done to save Lizzys life rather then waste 2 and half days and pay a second vet to do his job.

What would you do? Would you pay the bill for the first vet and let it go? Explain you arent happy with the first guy but pay the bill any way? Or dont pay him all together?

well, all I can say is when my mare chocked, we had to take her to a vet (after hours) he couldnt even get the stupid thing down, charged $60.00 and all we came home with was a bloody nose, and a shot of oxitsen and sedation and really big depression, and one more chance, so the next day (Sunday) we went to one of the best vets in Utah,(dr. reese) and he didnt make it sound like we wsa going to be able to save her
no.gif
I creid and cried and cried, then we took her down and he pumped her with water (wich the previous vets didnt do) and it went right down, it took maybe a half an hour, charged me $250.00, so I ended up pay $310.00 on that, when the first vet, didnt do her ANY good! But its there job, what can you do!

and maybe even the best vet in the world could have not knowen that, you just cant say forsure, and KNOW it was his fault, you just have to do watch you have to do!

-Gage-

Nicole,

My heart is going out to you with all you went through with Lizzy.

If life was fair, I'd say you are perfectly right to not pay that first vet call. And I would write a letter explaining why.

HOWEVER, life is NOT fair. And Vet Clinics are a business. So, if you don't pay that first vet call you could very possibly be turned over to a collection agency.

If it were me? I'd delay that payment for the first vet and write a letter to the senior partner. It certainly can't hurt. But I'd probably pay when the second statement came.

MA

Gage said:
and maybe even the best vet in the world could have not knowing that,  you just cant say for sure,  and KNOW it was his fault,  you just have to do watch you have to do!

-Gage-

458335[/snapback]

I agree even human docs make misdiagnosis. Me for example was told by a doctor that I had stomach flu. 3 days later I was admitted into the ER and in ICU for 4 days because I had Liver failure AND acute Kidney failure~! I am fine now but that was on July 1st..I had 3 Kidney dialysis over that weekend... So even Human docs don't know sometimes same thing with vets. Did I pay the doc who did not realize or see I was in dior straits... oh ya not going to go after him after all I was just at the 1st stages at that time but he should have taken blood test but did not...OH BTW it was brought on by some High Power Arthritis Medicine of which I am not going to take anymore~!!!! Nor ANY Prescription MEDS for awhile, maybe for a long time
biggrin.gif

Well you should pay the bill that goes without saying. But when you take your payment in (make a special trip if necessary) speak with a person with the authority to deal with your complaint. Explain to them how you feel and why. The vet practice is a business and IMO they need to deal with customer complaints in a reasonable manner. If you have been a good customer in the past and have always dealt with them in a reasonable manner they might just see it your way. Our vet service a short time back had a vet there for a short time who really angered many of their customers. I voiced a concern over not having him as a full time member of their team and was most unhappy about his last farm visit for a twisted gut in a cow. They cut the bill by dropping the farm call leaving just the surgery to pay for. Not a big deal but if I had not said anything I would have paid the full shot and that vet might still be a member of the clinic.

A few years ago the clinic where my Mom works had hired a new vet. He was a complete jackass and it was customer complaints that made the senior partners aware of his lack of knowledge and professionalism. A cat he was examing tried to run off of the examining table and he actually grabbed it by the tail and yanked it back to him and then gave it a smack!!!! He was fired after several customers and employees complained. He then opened his own practise and eventually had his licence revoked, he was that bad!!

You should definately pay your bill, that is the right thing to do but I would also put your complaint in writing and send it to the owner of the clinic. Sometimes a good vet makes a mistake...there is no doubt about that, they are only human. However, this may not be an isolated incident, they may have had complaints already. I would consider it my duty to let your vet clinic know if you truly feel that the first vet did not do his job.

Thanks for the opinions every one.

I know paying the bill is the right thing to do and I will. It just makes me mad to think I have to pay double for the second vet to do the first guys job. The first guy just rushed threw it seemed to me and I am supprised he srugged off the gum color and blood tests.

When I send in the payment I will send a complaint letter and say that I guess, I know I should pay it but I hate the thought of what if he was right the first time would Lizzy still be here?
sad.gif

Nichole, you owe the money, it's your bill, you called him out and you owe him payment.

I have storys about vets here that would make your head spin.

I learned this one the hard way because I have been grossly mistreated by a number of so-called vets in this area for a number of years. I contribute the loss of my pony Frosty and my quarter horse Kate, to GROSS NEGLECT AND MALPRACTICE by these vets. They did absolutely NOTHING in trying to save them but yet didn't think twice about sticking a vet bill to me that looked like the National Debt.

I found out after the fact that mistreatment like this can and should be reported to the State Vet Board in your state. You write up a letter all about the experience you had and what was done or not done, list times of calls, all info etc. and send it on to them. A vet can have a license pulled and have to be drug in front of the board to explain his actions and be held accountable. I will no longer accept being treated the way I was and I would not hesitate ever again to do this.

I do understand how you are feeling but, having followed all your heartbreaking threads at the time. I really do not think yo could have done anything to save Lizzie- you did all that you could. This man has not contributed to her death, but he has not contributed to her life, either. I think you are right, pay the bill, and send a strong but fair letter of complaint, saying everything you said in your first post here, and asking politely, if, under the circumstances, the amount charged is fair. (I have to say $100.00, I would be more than happy to get away with!! The same service would cost me around $250.00!!) Anyway, I see your point that it is the principle, not the amount and I think you are right. If people do not make these points how are the Vets to know something is wrong?? Go for it, but do not torture yourself that you might have saved Lizzie, I think she could see the Rainbow Bridge by the time the first Vet came, and you made the right decision for her.

If you just refuse to pay the bill you may not get any response the next time you need a vet. I think you'll agree that a good relationship with your vet is important. Obviously you don't want the same vet, but you will want someone. Definitely write a letter or personally discuss the issues with whoever is in charge.

Latest posts

Back