What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a little 27.75" mare, Reflections Wings CBY. We put her in training as a yearling, and she won Jr. Champion at an AMHR show, and went to Nationals. She measured 25.5" at that time, and although she didn't place at Nationals, one of the judges did place her as 10th. Not bad in a class of 27 yearling mares where she was the smallest!

This year she is showing in the 28" and under senior mares in AMHA, has already qualified for World. My six-foot husband is showing her in Amateur, but he has to lean way over or kneel when showing her. I absolutely love her. She has the spunkiest personality, and can outrun every mare in our whole herd.

As far as breeding when that comes, I would only breed her to a very refined stallion with a history of small ancestors. She has a good hip for her size, and I'd have a vet check her before considering breeding.

Here's a picture from her as a two-year old, and I'm eagerly awaiting her professional pics this year!

Wingsshow08cropped.jpg

So, go for it with your little mare!! You will learn much.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. I'm sure we will learn a lot this year and we are having so much fun that I plan to have more shown next year.
default_wink.png

Loess Hills, you have a pretty little mare there. Best of luck to you in the senior division and I will look for the tall man with a pinto in amateur and that surely will be your husband. I can't even imagine how he bends down to set her feet, unbelievable!
default_yes.gif

StarRidgeAcres, it's nice to know that some tiny ones do win. I have always admired your breeding program and hopefully one day our paths will cross so that I can meet you in person.
default_smile.png

Tab, I am going to show her too so this should get interesting. She has more P&V than any Quarter Horse I have ever owned.
default_laugh.png

If she's the horse in your avatar she is lovely - good luck with her! Coming from a background of showing QHs you will enjoy just showing her, the breed her or not issue is a whole 'nother discussion lol but nothing wrong with just showing and enjoying them, and letting someone else stay up nights watching mares.
default_smile.png
Been there done it both ways! Look forward to seeing your results from Julep Cup.

Jan

Wow, good for you! If Peas has her then she IS NICE, and do not worry about the weight, so much easier to take it off than to put it on. She should be perfect come Julep Cup time. Take photos........lots of them so you can post her with her wins!
default_smile.png

Good luck to you!

You'll have a GREAT time showing her! Both of my current show horses this year aren't from my farm, but I still love showing them! They may have someone else's farm name on them, but I chose THEM!

Besides, if people only showed horses with "their name" on them, there sure would't be a lot of competition out there, would there?
default_laugh.png

Lucy

Hi, This is my first year showing. But everyone is right - when you win, no matter what place you take, it is your farm name that is announced. My goal is to go out everytime and just have fun. If it's not fun for me or my mini - then I'd have to question why I'm even showing - because it does cost quite a bit (especially buying all the things you need as a new show person) and it is hard work.

Even though I feel that I could send my mini's to a trainer - It gives me great pleasure not to - because the bonding you get with your mini as you both learn is awesome!! I love to learn some of the tips from the great trainers that are out there - by watching them in the show ring, reading, etc. There are a lot of great trainers out there.

My first show this year I had a yearling that I showed in Halter obstacle. I figured we'd just go out and try to have fun with it. We'd practiced but she still wouldn't side pass real well. We got out there and she put her front feet in the circle and side passed around that circle just like a pro!! I'm out in the ring with tears running down my face because even though at home when we practiced she didn't do it real well - she did it like a champ in the show ring!!! And we trained and learned that together!! Our first show this year we placed mainly 4th & 6th places; our second show we placed almost all 2nd places!!!

Just go out and have fun!!! I have some very tiny mini's to. Not sure that I am going to breed my tiny mares - but they are awesome!

Thanks ladies, you are all so kind.
default_smile.png

Jan--The horse in my avatar is my junior stallion (LM Idols Watch Me Like A Hawk) but Inspiration does look very much like him just in a smaller size.
default_laugh.png

Mizbeth--Wouldn't that be great if it were easier for humans to take off weight rather than put on weight. That would answer a lot of my prayers.
default_smile.png

Field-of-Dreams--You are right. I did pick them both as weanlings so as you know they have changed greatly in two years time.

kdhminis--It sounds like you are having fun and that's what it's all about.
default_aktion033.gif

Here's what you do if you listen to LilBeginnings Forum Friends. I'm so glad that everyone encouraged me to have my little mare shown. We had so much fun showing her and my stallion. We learned a lot and made lots of friends and best of all it forced me into driving long distances which I was scared to death to do. Heck, I am no longer afraid and feel I can drive across country if need be.

Inspiration and Danielle Hill (Danielle Hill Training Center)

AMHA-2010-5822.jpg

Debbie it was great to meet you, and get to know you a bit.

Your little mare is just beautiful and congratulations with your wins.

I have some little boys that would be more than happy to help her be a momma!

We are facing the same thing with a tiny mare I purchased. I did an internal exam on her... and I am just not sure what I will do. I am letting her mature to 4 before I even think about making a decision on her. She has an outstanding show record to the world level, quite a few top tens... and is just stunning...but I need to make the right decision for her.

Hope to see you in your travels around the country next year!!!

OMG, Debbie, that picture is just priceless!!! Boy, that filly looks like she knows how to show. Good Luck next year!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Oh my gosh! She is just beautiful! Congratualtions on an awesome show season with that little one.

I have always been drawn to the beautiful small ones and am gradually reducing the height of my broodmares. I have a 27 3/4" little mare that will be bred for the first time next year along with 2 very refined 28" two year olds that will be bred when they are 4. We have had foals from several 28"ers in the past few years with no problems. I do think small mares can be bred safely if some advance planning is done such as using a refined and small stallion with a history of producing small, having very good veterinary assistance nearby, and being willing to devote your time and attention 24/7 to your mare. Our mares are not unattended in late gestation....like from 270 days on.

Is your mare through growing at 27" (oops)? Or do you think she will add a bit more height in the next year or two?

It sounds like taking the 'big leap' into the show ring was well worth it!

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
Told ya -- these little ones are AMAZING!!! Congratulations on the wins ! Hey, you had a nice trainer, too. Keep up the good work and thanks for updating us.
default_yes.gif

Oh my gosh! She is just beautiful! Congratualtions on an awesome show season with that little one.

I have always been drawn to the beautiful small ones and am gradually reducing the height of my broodmares. I have a 27 3/4" little mare that will be bred for the first time next year along with 2 very refined 28" two year olds that will be bred when they are 4. We have had foals from several 28"ers in the past few years with no problems. I do think small mares can be bred safely if some advance planning is done such as using a refined and small stallion with a history of producing small, having very good veterinary assistance nearby, and being willing to devote your time and attention 24/7 to your mare. Our mares are not unattended in late gestation....like from 270 days on.

Is your mare through growing at 27" (oops)? Or do you think she will add a bit more height in the next year or two?

It sounds like taking the 'big leap' into the show ring was well worth it!

Charlotte
Yes Charlotte, she did grow. I should have stated that. She is actually measuring 29" now!! I do think she will be able to someday be bred but will probably send her to Little King Farm or someplace like that to foal her out. I do not have access to good vets, 24-7. We have some good vets but they do not have "emergency" hours. I can drive down to his house and snag him if he's there but if he isn't than I am out of luck.

This show season was a lot of fun and like a said before, I am so glad I took all of your advice. I thank everyone for your wonderful compliments as they mean the world to me.

Thanks again, and I hope to meet more of my forum buddies next show season.
default_yes.gif

Back