What would you do in this situation ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
I bought a mini filly that was advertised as reg AMHA filly.

I bought her for myself AS A PET NOT TO BREED but she was sold to

me as a registered broodmare prospect. When I picked her up I was

told that she had sent in for her papers and that she would forward them

to me as soon as she got them. Months went by and I never heard from

her. In the meantime we discovered the filly has many dwarf characteristics

and is way to small to ever breed anyway and she has a breathing problem.

The breeder knew about her dwarf charachteristics and I ASSUMED that the

papers would have been canceled due to this fact so I never persued trying

to get her registration papers.

The other day I was at a friends that is a member of AMHA and AMHR and she

out of curiosity started searching around on the registry sites when I told her

about the lady saying she sent in her papers. Well we found her papers.

She is not registered with AMHA as advertised in fact she is registered with

AMHR. I know for 100% that the papers we saw are my fillies papers.

The breeder oddly enough had emailed me the other day out of the blue and

said she could offer me a great price on a package deal of mini's. I politley said

thank you but I am not in the market for more and oh by the way did my fillies papers

ever come in and GUESS WHAT ... All of a sudden she is not answering her emails.

I did not tell her that I saw her papers on the internet site, I was looking to see

how honest she would be with me but apparently avoidance is her choice of action.

THIS FILLY WAS NOT SOLD AS PET QUALITY .. SHE WAS ADVERTISED AS REGISTERED

BROODMARE PROSPECT .. I paid a lot of money for her and have learned my lesson on

buying from begining breeders. I dont care so much about the fact that I dont have

her papers as she is my PET and I will NEVER breed her BUT the fact is the breeder

has registration papers for her and ignores me when I ask for them. I feel they are

rightfully mine as I paid for a registered filly NOT pet quality .. in FACT as far as I am concerned because of her dwarf characteristics she should not even have papers BUT she does.

What would you do in a case like this ? Should I contact AMHR and ask them to revoke

the papers as she is a dwarf or ???? Can I even do that as she is listed as the owner of MY filly on the papers and she has never given me transfer papers.

I am not a breeder, my horses are for my pleasure only and for those of you that might be wondering this is not the mare that may be in foal, this is my one year old filly that I am reffering to.

I would think the honest thing for her to do would be to refund some money to you.

Well IMHO, I'd want the papers. Just as you pointed out, even if you don't/didn't ever intend to breed her, she was advertised as such, so should come with such, plus the major fact that you bought and PAID for the mare. I've never been a fan of withholding papers, for any reason. Either the horse is papered, or it's not, if you sell the horse, the papers, if they have them should ALWAYS go with them. Don't like the prices their selling for with papers, or are scared of them breeding or whatnot, then don't sell the horse. Plain and simple. I do do contracts and such for both my dogs and horses, but it's like my husband always says, once you take that money and hand over the lead rope, there not yours anymore. But it's just my opinion, and the rules I follow.

IF you have the mares dam and sire names or info, I'd def call the AMHR and ask them about it. Surely there has got to be some sort of reprecussions for doing this, I'd think. May even give the AMHA a call and jsut check sure won't hurt. Only thing I'd do, is give her another email and tell her you'll be letting them know as a chance to let her fix it, or a phone call even, some are better about answering the phone than an email sometimes. At least that way you would be giving ehr one more chance to right her wrong. no matter I'd def want the matter of who the correct owner was cleared up, becuse you never know what may happen that may require you to prove such.

I hate when something like this happens, it makes it hard on everyone concerned. She should send you her papers, period especially if it is the contract.

I'm sorry your little filly has dwarf characteristics too., but can certainly understand your love for her. I wish you the best of luck and hope this gets worked out. Can you phone her?

Beth

First of all, I am sorry this happened to you, but please don't think this has anything to do with the fact this is a "beginning breeder". I don't think there is always a correlation between how long someone has been in the business and their honesty and integrity.

What kind of paperwork did you get with the filly? A signed purchase contract? A bill of sale? A cancelled check that shows what you paid? Is there any record anywhere that this filly was sold you you (like on a website)? You might try to call AMHR and see if they can help, but only if you can show somehow that you own her.

I would send her a registered letter asking for the papers. Did you have a contract or a sales receipt stating that you would receive the papers? If not, there's probably nothing you can do at this point.

AMHA/AMHR probably won't get into it because the filly is still technically in the other person's name.

Good luck!

No I did not get anything with her. It was - 40 here in December when I picked

her up. We had many phone conversations before me picking her up so when I got

there I basically paid her in cash and put the filly in the truck and left. I didnt see the

need (LOL hindsight) at the time for a bill of sale or contract as I now had possesion

of the filly.

I just had her word that she would forward the papers when they came in.

Anyone care to venture a guess or clue me in as to how or why it would benefit

her to hold on to her papers ? Would she use them for another horse to sell it as

registered ?

I am not going to make a federal issue over it, what is done is done and it is a lesson

learned on my part on how to do these transactions properly BUT I personally think

her papers should be Void because of her dwarfism. I wonder if I did a DNA kit on her

if that would be enough to void her papers with a statement from my vet stating that

she is a dwarf and that I have possesion of her. Just a thought.

And in case any of you are wondering after we discovered she was most likely

a dwarf she NEVER offered to give me any money back and sell her as a pet,

she basically just said that is too bad, poor little girl.

My guess as to what may have happened in this situation, is that she may have been telling the truth when she said she had sent the papers in to AMHA. Possibly when AMHA received the registration application and photos, they also noticed the dwarf characteristics like you did, and denied registration of the filly, thus, a possible scenario as to why no AMHA papers. Since AMHR has no guidelines in regards to registering horses with multiple dwarf characteristics (as far as I know anyway, but of course I could be wrong!) that would explain why the AMHR papers are available. Maybe the seller was just too scared to tell you about the reason AMHA wouldn't register the filly?? Of course, this is all just a possibility, with my trying to think "outside the box".

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you do in this situation

I'll answer your question with a bunch of questions

What do you want? Your money back? Registration papers? Smack her upside the head?

What do you hope to accomplish?

Do you want to return the filly? Farm credit for another horse?

Once you know what you really want, then go for it. If its $, try small claims court or hire a lawyer.

I'm assuming you want to keep the filly, so you can file a report (complaint) with AMHA for all the good that will do.

You can send her a letter of demand for the papers. But if they do not exsist, you can attempt to get a monetary settlement, but don't forget, you had no contract to prove anything except false advertising if you still have the ad.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I think Mona hit the nail on the head.

Did you exchange any emails with the seller?? If you did even if they are deleted...if you really wanted proof of what was transpired, I know there is a way to get your emails "back" (I am not technical, so I could not tell you, tho...lol) Otherwise, with no record of a sale....you have nothing (well, except a new horse that you can love and care for
default_wink.png
).

Marty : LOL that was a lot of questions but I see your point. All I really would like to see is that her reg papers be destroyed or marked void by the registry so she can not

pawn them off as another horses papers or something of that nature.

I have no need for them. I just personally dont even think she should be registered BUT I know for a fact that she is because we found her papers on the AMHR website. Same name I was told she was given by the breeder, same birth date, same sire and dam.

I love my little girl and she will be with me forever. She will NEVER be bred or shown

so I guess I will just let the issue drop and thank you all for letting me vent (lol).

I feel much better now (teeheehee)

You can also call the AMHA registry and find out if she ever was at any point registered with them..

They keep records on file of all registered horses , and will tell you if she is,- or ever was -with their registry and if her papers have been revoked.

I have learned with buying horses, you can never be too carful finding out information about a horse,

thus I call the registries to make sure everything is in order before a purchase.

They have everything logged into their computers, so it just take a minute to confirm information.
default_yes.gif

First of all, I am sorry this happened to you, but please don't think this has anything to do with the fact this is a "beginning breeder". I don't think there is always a correlation between how long someone has been in the business and their honesty and integrity.
Thank you. I was going to comment on that.

Yes your right about the comment about begining breeders - I apologise.

I guess I was thinking of her personally and the condition of her horses

and her apparent lack of knowledge of mini's in general and her hiding behind

the fact that she was new to breeding and mistakes would happen.

I apologise if I offended anyone and your right if they are going to be dishonest

they will be dishonest new or not.

Latest posts

Back