What would you do in regards

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Hills Farm

Irish Hills Farm
Reaction score
What would you do in regards to someone using your picture on their web site without your permission?

The picture would be of yourself and a horse. Would you contact them and ask them to remove it? Or would you contact them and nicely say you would appreciate if they would ask for permission next time?

Opinions please.

Would you contact them and ask them to remove it? Or would you contact them and nicely say you would appreciate if they would ask for permission next time?
That's an easy one. If you don't mind having the picture on their website then I would contact them and nicely say you would appreciate if they would ask permission next time.

If you don't want the picture on their website then I would ask them to remove it.

Depends on you and what you want.

I personally would frown on the idea. Then again the person might be clueless. Also, the photo could be the property of the photographer. I know many photographers now make you pay them to use a photo on a webpage........yes.........even if you have paid for a photo. We just had a photoshoot and this particular photographer charges 85.00 for a web file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact them & ask them nicely to remove it ( if that is what you want) ........ Inform them that if in the future they wish to use one of your pictures please ask for permission first. They honestly may not know any better.

I would send them a very firm email, with a copy going to my lawyer. A picture of me on someone else's website without my permission is a strict no-no. A picture of my horse on another website without my permission, not so bad, but still not appreciated. Its a serious concern, especially if they aren't portraying you in "perfect" light. If it was an innocent mistake and a reasonable website, then maybe I'd just "request" a photo credit. Sometimes just having the credit and perhaps a link would be even better advertising for you, and something that helps you out rather than hinder or infringe. So I guess it really depends how and why they used your picture.

Charge Board
default_poke.gif
:

I would ask them to remove it, especially actually if it was of one of my horses vs. of me. Strange... I'm more possessive (grrrrrrrrrr!!!) about my horses' images than my own!

PS, an exception would be if they owned a horse by or out of one of mine and were using my horse as a bloodline reference.

If you don't want your picture on their website then ask that they remove it.

I'm going to send them an email asking them to remove the photo and to please next time ask permission first.

I also emailed another person I know back in Michigan to let her know that a picture of one of her minor children (he was showing a horse) was also on this person's site. The lady from Michigan emailed me back and told me she never gave the owner of the web site permission to use any pictures and she felt it wouldn't do any good to contact the web site owner anyway.

Jill, I don't mind if its a picture of a horse being used for reference either but she doesn't own the horse that is being pictured with me. The filly belongs to another friend in Michigan and she never gave the web site owner permission either.
default_wacko.png
:

We have had situations here on this board before where some people (usually youth) are just so eager to create websites with pictures of pretty horses that they collect pictures from other websites and compile them onto their own. Some have been relatively harmless, simply wanting to post pretty pictures, and others have actually claimed that they owned the horses pictured (which they did not). It is annoying. Depending on how much it bothers you, you may have cause for a civil suit. That's up to you to decide.

What really bothers me is the picture of the minor child. That is not her child and this person did not ask for permission to use this child's picture.

I know who all the horses are that are posted on the site and who owns them (except for who owns one of the horses now). If I did not know these horses, I might think that the owner of the web site owns them.

Anyway, I asked the web site owner to either remove my picture or at least give proper credit, the name of the horse. And to please ask permission next time you'd like to use one of my photos.

I know when Erica got Penny from me she asked for pictures and I told her she could take/use what ever she wanted, no problem. Erica also did the same for me when it came to Star. And any picture that I used on my site that had both Erica & Star in it, I put the caption Star being shown by Erica, so that proper credit was given. Not that I wouldn't mind people confusing me with Erica. lol

Usually in these cases an email going "no no :nono: " works nicely to get the photo down. Usually you're dealing with a kid who just wants pictures of pretty ponies OR is playing a game.

Is the site part of a game? Look for any fine print or anything saying "this is part of a game yadda yadda" (most are) If so, just go to the website and email the game owner that one of the players is doing a no-no. The large reputable "SIM" games tend to take "image theft" seriously- if the kid wants to keep playing, they usually snap right into line. ;)

And if all else fails- you can email the host of the offending website. May take some sniffing to figure out the host and who to email (unless it's a huge site like geocities) but usually once you do, that's pretty much the end of it. Site owner removes image or else host does it for them, repeated offenses will get an account shut down.

We have had situations here on this board before where some people (usually youth) are just so eager to create websites with pictures of pretty horses that they collect pictures from other websites and compile them onto their own. Some have been relatively harmless, simply wanting to post pretty pictures.

This in and of itself isn't usually a huge problem (annoying, rude, but not BAD). When it does go "bad" is when those people link the picture from your site. Meaning, every time someone views the picture on the other person's website, it pulls it directly from yours, chewing up bandwidth FAST. And I'm willing to bet that most people here except those that do a lot of web-business have "lower end" web plans like mine that have a very limited bandwidth allowance (only get so many bytes of data transfered per month). An image "theft" like that can shut down your business's website in a hurry.
default_sad.png
Usually a firm letter telling then the consequences of their actions on your business is enough, but in a case like that "real" money can be lost.
default_sad.png
I've done it myself as well a few years ago, without realizing what exactly I was doing. As soon as I figured it out I fixed it, but still, its an easy yet costly mistake to make!

I know when Erica got Penny from me she asked for pictures and I told her she could take/use what ever she wanted, no problem. Erica also did the same for me when it came to Star. And any picture that I used on my site that had both Erica & Star in it, I put the caption Star being shown by Erica, so that proper credit was given. Not that I wouldn't mind people confusing me with Erica. lol
LOL! I hear you
default_smile.png
I put in the tool tip when it's Erica with Destiny but always sort of "hope" some people might think that's me :bgrin

As many of you have said normally it is just an innocent mistake and the person will remove it as soon as you ask. But with that said realize that stolen mages have been used in the Money Order fiasco as recently as two weeks ago with stolen pictures of a horse and a person to instill more confidence in the buyer. We are very serious about protecting our pictures unless someone asks for the right to use one of them.

Additionally go to the persons web site and if there is a email address you can capture take the portion of it after the @ sign and query it on google or yahoo and you will find the provider, so it can be forceably removed if you have too.

Good Luck,

:saludando:

You should be able to tell if they downloaded a copy of the picture to their own server....or if they are linking to the picture (and stealing your bandwidth) from your site. You can tell by going to their site, right clicking on the picture, and looking at the properties.

If they are linking to the picture from your site, here is a neat little "fix." Take your original picture and save it under a new name, and change your web site HTML code so that it will pick up the new name. Then take the file with the old name -- and change the image to a skull and crossbones with the words THIS IMAGE WAS STOLEN...DO NOT TRUST THE PERSON WHO IS POSTING THIS PICTURE, and upload it back to your server. Then when anyone goes to the other person's site, they will see this instead of the picture of your horse and the minor child.

Jean, thats a good idea.

She has the pictures uploaded on her on site, she isn't stealing bandwidth.

She did tell me she would give proper credit on my picture though she has yet to do it. I've been checking her site daily and she has been making some changes, just not to my picture. And I tried finding info. on the company that made her site and I'm thinking it's her.

I've also find other pictures on her site that I know are not hers.

I've actually had to address this situation twice. Both times I emailed and said that I noticed my photo was on thier site without my permission. One I asked it to be removed, the other I said they could keep it on there as long as they gave a link to my site. Both did as asked
default_smile.png

Tammie

Good idea, Jean! I'd have never thought of it. I hope I personally have not offended anyone as I have used pics of dams and sires as references (click on links) on my website.

It would depend on if the picture was used as a reference or in an educational light. I would email and tell them that the picture was used without permission and have them remove it or if used innocently, ask for credit on the picture. If used mistakenly or in an innocent light, I would consider it flattery and free advertising if credit was given.

I have used lots of horses in my pedigree reference page. I have tried to credit everyone I got the picture from and give a link to their website. I have not linked to their site because of the bandwidth problem.

My website crased, and I have been trying to get all the information back below the pictures but have not gotten there yet. It is still a work in progress. I thought that you made me think about with people in the picture I need to give their name, but not just the name of the person I got the horse from.

Latest posts

Back