what would you call this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna

Reaction score
louieback.jpg

Has anyone else seen this.....when he was born we thought he was buckskin but both parents are bays so as he got older he became a sandy bay but this black on his back is a new one.....I have seen the line down the back and it goes away. We shaved him about a month ago.

[SIZE=14pt]He is a dunskin. His parents may be sooty buckskins rather than bay.[/SIZE]

Lyn

We thought the same thing so I sent pictures of the sire, dam, and colt into barbara Neuvux (SP) cant remember how to spell her last name but they are both bay and neither have produced a dilute unless they were bred to a dilute...she is the one who told me he would be a sandy bay but did appear a buckskin to her at teh time I sent the pictures in but said there was no way with two bay parents.......

I just got Barbara Naviaux' book the other day and am really enjoying it.

However, I agree with Lyn. That colt is creme dilute and dun. He is dunskin / buckskin dun. His coat is way too light shedded out to not be creme dilute.

Was the mare hand bred? I'm wondering if there's the possibility that another stallion is actually the sire. If not, then one of the parents has got to be a sooty bucksking that just looks bay.

Here is mom not a good one but you can see her color:

amamulb.jpg

Here is dad, the picture does not show his true color I had to lighten it to see him but it is the only one I have that does not make him look solid black:

rangerblue2.jpg

daddy's sire is a roan ranger a red roan and dam is a blue boy bred mare who is a dapple gray so he has not dilute in him either?

to me both look bay......

Last edited by a moderator:
Daddy looks like a sooty buckskin! Wayyyyyyyyy too gold for a bay. Sooty isn't super common in minis but when it shows up it shows up well!
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I agree that the stallion is a sooty buckskin . The mare must also carry a dilute somehow because that baby is so light. I have never heard of a sandy bay.[/SIZE]

Lyn

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back