What would be your ideal size for a outdoor pen/run?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBarakah

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi & Happy 4th of July everyone!

Well.... as some of you know I'm building a new place on 20 acres! I'm very excited!! I will finally get my show barn I always wanted!!
default_wub.png
But my mom asked me what size of out door pens I wanted. I am considering 36' x 100'. I want them to have pleanty enough room to kick up thier heels and cut loose and run. I will have 8 pens like these with automatic waters and each run has a shelter... Does that sounds like that is enough room or should they be wider? We have to take out a bunch of trees before this gets going. They poored the cement yesterday for my floor in my house. The bull dozzer's coming monday to start on moving the trees!
default_aktion033.gif
I'm SO excited! My whole life I've lived in OLD places that really needed to just be pull dozed down.... so I won't know how to act in something new!!!
default_wub.png

My barn will be 32' x 66' with 10 stalls and a wash room and bathroom (my mom's idea!).... I think I'm most excited about a bathroom or the wash room for bathing my horses!! I will take pictures when things really start getting in motion.

OH! I have a question... I want a arena right next to my barn.... I plan to start driving my Doc stallion this fall........what is the best size for a arena for driving/working horses?

What you have planned sounds great for miniatures.

As to the arena size, I would recommend a minimum of 90X90 feet. That's what we have here, it is small enough to do some "round pen free lunging" but also big enough to hook a horse and drive. I sort of wish it was longer for driving, I think a 90X150 would be lots better.

Andrea

Your 39x100 size pens should work well. I have some that are 60 x 120 & love that size, but they are plenty big for 1 or 2 Minis--I have 4 mares in a pen that size & it gives them plenty of room to rip around.

As far as an arena, I'm happy with 60 x 120 for that but 80 or 90 x 150 would be better.

did I send you the video of Phantom(30") driving in my 90x 100 arena? I think I did. It is perfect for him, but for Beau(36") it is a bit too small. The 90 is ok, but wish it was like 150. that would be ideal. I built it with landscape timbers as the posts and then the 4" vinyl/wire stretch fencing. I love it. if a horse runs into it, they literally bounce off, it holds 2400 lbs per 4" strand. so I have no worries when I am driving.

Back