What works the best .............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
What works the best as far as Hoof Polish for Shiney Black Hoofs? What actually stays on?? and What do you use for the shiney look on the face for shows???

Would like to know some tricks to help the best show look possible! Thanks in advance!
default_aktion033.gif

What works the best as far as Hoof Polish for Shiney Black Hoofs? What actually stays on??

Avoid water based hoof polish, imo its not as shiny and it comes off way to easy. I used it my first year showing and inside the arena was a little damp and it slowly started getting all dropped and lines showing from where it was running down off the hoof. I use Ultra hoof polish now, black and clear. I then go over the polish with Ultra Finishing Spray for their hooves, its makes the polish shine and repells dust. I was showing three horses back to back a few weeks ago and i painted all the hooves in the morning and sprayed Ultra over them, let it dry and put them back in the stall until i needed them, even hours later i just dusted them off and they were still shiny as if had just blacked them. Around the rip of the roof by the coronet band, i have a really big sharpie marker that i do that tiny line with so no polish gets into the hair.

What do you use for the shiney look on the face for shows???

Baby Oil Jell and Ultra black face highlighter
default_yes.gif

What works the best as far as Hoof Polish for Shiney Black Hoofs? What actually stays on??

Avoid water based hoof polish, imo its not as shiny and it comes off way to easy. I used it my first year showing and inside the arena was a little damp and it slowly started getting all dropped and lines showing from where it was running down off the hoof. I use Ultra hoof polish now, black and clear. I then go over the polish with Ultra Finishing Spray for their hooves, its makes the polish shine and repells dust. I was showing three horses back to back a few weeks ago and i painted all the hooves in the morning and sprayed Ultra over them, let it dry and put them back in the stall until i needed them, even hours later i just dusted them off and they were still shiny as if had just blacked them. Around the rip of the roof by the coronet band, i have a really big sharpie marker that i do that tiny line with so no polish gets into the hair.

What do you use for the shiney look on the face for shows???

Baby Oil Jell and Ultra black face highlighter
default_yes.gif
Where do I get Ultra Finishing Spray and Ultra Black Face Highlighter??

I am Asia's daughter. On the arab farm I work at and many of the other farms on the arab circuit they just use the baby oil gel or Ultra clear highlighter on the faces and for feet they sand the gunk off the outside during baths when it is soft with a sanding sponge block and put just the ultra hoof polish enhancer because we can't use the colored polishes anymore. the problems i have with the enhancer is it does not last over night but is good for the day of the show and if the humidity is to much the enhancer beads and looks like it is dripping down the hoof so be careful using it. but the good thing is that both the gels and enhancer are quick and easy to use.

For hooves, the #1 factor in getting "shiny" is sanding them. The more you sand them down, the shinier they will be. No product can make an unsanded foot super shiny.

That said, I do prefer the Absorbine brand Hoof Black or Clear and avoid water based polishes. And the Ultra Hoof Enhancer is a must, too.

For noses, again like the hooves, the closer you shave the shinier you will get. Razoring will get the most shine. I don't prefer to razor myself, so I use a #50 blade when clipping. I like the Silverado brand face makeup (i am blanking on the name of the product) because it smells nice and contains sunscreens. I usually apply that or plain old Baby Oil Gel (get the gel).

Andrea

Silverado gel. Blech. That stuff REEKS, or at least the black does (I haven't used the clear)--I used it at one show & ended up with such a horrible allergic reaction (swollen eyes, just from the smell of it--no, I didn't use it on MY face!!) from it I tossed it in the garbage. I found the smell offensive even before the allergic reaction. I now use Exhibitor Labs Quik Shade--it gives a nice shine and has just a light, pleasant scent, and it also contains sunscreen if you happen to be showing outside.

I always got a good hoof shine from the Grand Champion hoof polish, and the Absorbine is almost as good. Ultra is probably my pick now though.

I have used cheap hoof black and also had bad results. Now I only use absorbine ultra or grand champion. I agree that a smooth clean hoof will shine more. I sand most of the hoof with a small power sander and the top part with a block sander. I will put one coat of polish on the day before a show--usually at home and then reapply at the show the morning they are to show. If they show more than one day, I will only reapply if it is really messed up. A sharpie pen is great for tiny touchups.

For my muzzle, I also do not like the shaved look--looks plastic to me and not natural--just my feelings. I trim close with #30 blade and then use either baby oil gel--GEL is must--with a bit of black chalk or just baby oil depending on horse. Some horses look good with a bit of black on muzzle and eyes and others look better with just gel. I usually go with the "less is more" attitude.

Just a word of caution. DO NOT SAND THE HOOVES, at least the first time, without someone who knows how far to go, is there with you. Too much sanding, and you weaken the hoof wall. You don't want to injure your baby, so be sure you or the someone that knows, gets the right amount and not too much! We use a power sander, made just for hooves, (attaches to Double K Clippers), but we are still very careful not to go too deep!

I agree with the baby oil gel for nose, eyes and face. I used something that I bought (can't remember the name), and even gave a light coat on the lips. Outside of course, just a little on the outside edges, on his nose, and eyes. He salivated till he looked like a rabid dog. Afterward, his skin peeled, and just generally looked terrible. Never bought anything like it afterwards. Never will!

Latest posts

Back