What works best ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
Well did some face to shoulder clips today since everyone was starting to rub on anything they could ...
default_wub.png
:

All was going well until I got to Sassy, a chestnut pinto, as I was clipping her neck

Mom noticed some 'brown specks' appearing ! :new_shocked:

Well I know fleas when I see them and yup she is full !!! :new_shocked:

I had not noticed as many on the others ... they being browns, blacks, and greys !

Need to know what I can use .... can you use a cattle flea powder ???
default_unsure.png
:

Is there a homemade recipy out there ???
default_sad.png

Keep in mind can not bath them as we still get to 11 below up here in Northen Ontario !!
default_wacko.png
:

Most fly sprays are pyrtherin or a permitheran (sp), which are the same ingredients in most flea sprays. So you can use your fly spray to kill them. If you have a good shop vac I'd say you could rub some borax into her coat and then vac it out and the fleas. I can't say i've heard of a horse being infested with fleas, but I don't see why they couldn't. If that is the case you need to treat your pastures, barn, etc., and I'd recommend getting one of those garden hose attachements that you can put liquid in and spray on your flowers. Just get you some Ivory dish soap and put in it to treat your outside.

I'd go with lice. The one gelding we first bought had these little beggers and fortunately it was warm so I could use the medicated shampoo. However you treat you'll have to stay on top of it for several days as most treatments won't kill the eggs and a few days later they hatch and you have to start over.

Yes I had the same thing happen to me, I brought a friends lil Mini filly over to body clip her and she was covered with the same lil bugs, which are definately lice. What is the best thing to use to kill them ? I used flea and tick shampoo then after she was bathed I used my fly spray that says on the bottle will kill lice. They are such nasty lil creatures. I was totally freaked out and I am worried about MY horses getting them. Is that possible? Should I keep them away from her?
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ... I will take a pic of the little beggers so we will know for sure what they are !!

then I will know for sure what I'm dealing with.

I did not realize horses could not get fleas ... seams weird to me .. they are warm blooded

Yep, probably lice.

Horses cannot get fleas, their skin is too thick for dog and cat fleas. I mean, I suppose a flea could land on a horse but they wouldn't stay for any amount of time.

Andrea

We use a powder just for that purpose. I'd have to go to the barn to find out what its called. I just sprinkle it down their mane, down the crease in their back and rub it into the base of the tail. I don't use it very often but when I have to, takes care of them very well!
default_yes.gif
:

We use a powder just for that purpose. I'd have to go to the barn to find out what its called. I just sprinkle it down their mane, down the crease in their back and rub it into the base of the tail. I don't use it very often but when I have to, takes care of them very well!
default_yes.gif
:

Most Ranch/Farm supply stores carry De-Licing Powder. I also suspect what you are dealing with is Lice. We also apply the powder just as River Wood describes. Be careful not to get it near the horse's eyes, mouth, or nostrils. Wash your hands afterwards.

The powder is not recommended for a mare who is due to foal soon. I would also assume it's not advised for nursing mares either.

MA

No, they aren't fleas. Fleas might jump on a horse but will jump back off.......

Betcha it's lice........

Ok ... I will take a pic of the little beggers so we will know for sure what they are !!

then I will know for sure what I'm dealing with.

I did not realize horses could not get fleas ... seams weird to me .. they are warm blooded
We can't get fleas either. I think it may have to do with hair type; horses have more of a "hair" type coat as opposed to "fur".

Everyone is saying to keep it away from eyes and mouth ....

Does that mean it will make them sick ? :new_shocked:

Do I have to keep the horse's seperated then ? :new_shocked:

They hate to be apart !
default_wacko.png
:

But they are doing the love bite thing right now I dont want

one making the other sick.... :eek:

but I would also think that if one has it they all do !??!

IF one has they probably all do but once you have put the powder on they wont itch so bad and wont feel the need to groom each other as often. Having abeen through this just about this time of year 2 years ago I would bet it is lice and probably all your horses have them just on some they are easier to see. The powder shouldnt be ingested thats why you put it on the top of their back but usually within a very short time they are gone. If you can separate while you are treating it probably is a good idea. I also stripped all stalls and powdered washed and powdered them again as eggs can live up to two weeks I think it is. While horses were out we stripped stalls washed with a disinfectent and then put the powder down late in the day we swept it up and rebedded waited a week did it again then another week and did it again all the time powdering all but bred mares. We havent had them since and dont want them again. We never did figure out where they came from as at the time we had no new horses in or out. As for the other question about a horse coming in to be clipped who has them yes your horses can get them from that horse until she is free of them, Oh and worming with Ivermectin helps as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I have seen a horse with fleas, the flea infestation in this barn was horrible, because of 2 puppies, this one pony mare got them, the only one in the barn out of 10. They'd jump off the pony on to me. Lice don't jump they crawl. So I knew they were fleas. Adams flea and tick shampoo, bath every 2 or 3 days and the spray 3x a day between the baths, treated the whole barn area put the puppies in a pen by the house and it resolved in a week or so. Puppies were treated as well and taken care of. Owner was out of town and other barn workers didn't catch it before it got so bad. Wasn't good as pony was a rescue mare who hadn't been handled and was now almost 3, never seen a spray bottle much less a bath before this process. Wasn't easy but she tied like a trooper and you could do absolutely anything to her after this was over.

Karen

Latest posts

Back