What was that thing in the tree?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunQuest

Reaction score
Marty... Maybe you know what it is since you have weird sightings on your mountain?

Last night I turned my husky out in the back yard. It was dark and he needed to relieve himself. I waited for about 5 minutes and then went to bring him in. Well, I couldn't see him from the door. So I went out in the back, and there he was with his front feet high up in a tree. Mind you that this dog was worked up into a frenzy and when he stands on his hind legs he can put his front feet on my shoulders and I am over 6 foot tall.

Anyway, I go to get him and he won't let me near him or the trees. I look up into the trees and see absolutely nothing. Yet the go is running the fence line where we have a row of trees and is just frantic.

Then I hear it... It wasn't a hiss like a cat makes, but yet some form of a hiss. And it growled somewhat. Again I thought of a cat, but first off there are not any in the neighborhood, and second it didn't have that cat type of sound. I could hear it try to move through the tree. First to my left, and then to my right. And the dog, well, that stupid idiot of a mutt wouldn't let me catch him. He had it confined to a tree and he wanted it for dinner. But again, I couldn't see it. But when I went to reach for the dog's collar, I bent over to make sure I wasn't close to the braches and it would hiss/growl as soon as I tried to get the dog. I finally got the dog and went into the house to get a flashlight and went back out. Nothing there.... It had disappeared altogether.

So what was that thing? What sort of wild things can climb trees with small branches and not be seen? And what sort of wild things can be small and make hissing and growling types of sounds when in a tree? Any ideas anyone?

OH yea I'm supposed to know about every boogie huh just cause I have an "IT"? LOL huge giggles.......

Darned if I know!
biggrin.gif

coon, possum, or a weasel (martens etc)

Or a camouflaged white thing that just disappears when you go look for it. Funny the things you run into out in the country. Ask Marty for tips on dealing with weird things. Sorry to make light of your dilemma but i could not resist.

Why Marty, I thought you were "the" authority of things that roam the night! LOL!!! Hee Hee!

Well, I know it wasn't a bobcat as that would be fairly large and I haven't seen any in the area. Not a possom as there are none of those in the area either. That leaves coons. Could very well be, but aren't they fairly large? These trees are not that big and the branches are fairly small. I didn't really see the trees move at all. Still, coons are really common in my area. In fact, I couldn't see anything in the tree. A weasel could be a likely answer though as the size would be right.

Now a couple of weeks ago my hubby almost litterally stumbled onto a badger. The thing was a foot away and on the other side of the chain link fence though. It hissed and groweled at him and didn't run off. I don't think badgers need to worry about climbing a tree....

Now Marty's white thing is a possibility.... It just cloaked it's self in mud or a cape and there you go. Hee Hee.

Bobcats are not big animals. Over the years I have dispatched almost a dozen of these cats and I think the biggest one was a touch over twenty five pounds. Now I am sure if you think about it all of you must know somebody who has a house cat who has tipped the scales near that figure. The most likely critter is a raccoon or a possom.

Al, You listen to night time radio too much!
laugh.gif

How about a silly old WOOD BEETLE???? They both hiss AND growl! (And they sure aren't very big.)

MA

Al B said:
[SIZE=21pt]Chupacabra ![/SIZE]
466987[/snapback]

By Golly! I didn't think of that one Al! It definitely could be, but I haven't heard any rumors to them being in my area. Normally they are in the south. Of course that means nothing as we know they are smart creatures that probably could hitch a ride on something and head North. Maybe I should call Art Bell or George Noory to see what they think! Maybe I will even be on the phone on Coast to Coast AM! (Listen for the stuttering fool who is too nervous to say a word! LOL)
biggrin.gif

I just learned of this creature tonight................a "Fishercat!!! (My first thought tho was a baby coon.)

I'll bet you it was that possum that had moved into my place!!
laugh.gif
He's now gone, and moved in with you!!!
biggrin.gif

Young coon......those rascals mean business. Plus they are dark furred, so harder to see.
ohmy.gif

Latest posts

Back