What type of hood/rugs do you find best?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What way of securing hood/rugs do you think are best?

• Velcro straps?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Velcro Lining?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buckles?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Zippers?

• Velcro Lining and buckles?

• Total voters

cassie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have decided that rug manufacturers in Australia are ripping me off LOL and with the amount of rugs my silly stock horse is going through (he loves to tear them
default_thumbdown.gif
) I have decided to start mending his and start making some for my mini's etc.

So my poll question is... which do you find best for the securing of hoods/ rugs.

I'm trying to decide if I should use velcro straps (similar to the weatherbeeta range...) buckles, zippers or velcro lining the underside of the rug securing all the way down. I have tried to find some pics of these examples, if you come up with any others please put in your thoughts they are much appreciated. Have fun
default_smile.png
I'm going to Spotlight (a big material shop) this afternoon to have a go at it for the first time... I'm excited
default_smile.png
:)

Thanks for the help.

Cassie

airmeshset.jpg this is an example of the velcro straps...

weatherbeeta-orican-original-heavyweight-51535-11966_zoom.jpg this is the weatherbeeta rug which has velcro straps under a flap which works really well. I'll try take a pic of my one at home later today.

clips rug.jpg then there is buckles, which I find my stock horse tears to shreds... but maybe a velcro lining and then the buckles may help?

I couldn't find one of a zipper, I'm not to keen on a zipper one... I have one for my mini and its so hard to get it on, especially with her massive mane
default_smile.png

so please let me know your thoughts... I'm wanting something that will last as long as possible and not get caught LOL

if you think of any other better ways please let me know
default_smile.png

I have a weatherbeeta turnout for my tb that has a hood with velcro straps under a velcro flap such as in the second picture. The velcro is more heavy-duty than your average variety and has proven very sturdy. The hood itself attaches to the blanket with a velcro lining, and I do not feel that this is quite as secure as the straps which hold the hood closed, so I wouldn't personally go for the lining--it is hard to get it to line up correctly, and then it doesn't feel as strong if it is not lined up perfectly.

I have also had a fly sheet with snap buckles securing a hood such as in the third picture. I didn't feel those buckles to be very secure, like you said. But perhaps a belt-style buckle would be stronger? The kind that you would find on a halter, I mean.

(I hope my post made sense- it is getting late here and I feel I am talking in circles).

thanks Kailtyn yes it does thank you
default_smile.png
I was thinking of the weatherbeeta style as I agree it is very strong
default_smile.png
for the hoods
default_smile.png
but I like the gelt buckle style as well, like on the front of rugs...
default_smile.png
thanks for the advice
default_smile.png

We prefer velcro closures on my blankets and hoods. I hate the buckles- they take way too long to fasten and unfasten. Plus the weight of the buckle can literally pull the blanket off center. I have a beautiful blanket for my 30" guy that has buckles and it NEVER stays centered- always slides to the buckle side.

To attach a hood to the blanket we like snaps. My hood, though, is a one-piece unit that fastens with velcro around his barrel. It stays on very well and doesn't shift.

hi
default_smile.png
thanks for the advice
default_smile.png
yeah I completley agree, we have really heavy duty velcro at work (we own a hardware store) so I'm going to use that. I got the binding and material yesterday and now I wish I wasn't working this weekend as I really want to start LOL so excited!!

thanks for all the help
default_smile.png

haha I will Kara thanks
default_smile.png
my first attempt will be turning a pull over hood to a put on hood, (putting straps on it )

my stock horse HATES (with a passion) getting this hood on him but it is such a brilliant hood, will let you know how I go, might have to take before and after pics so you can see it
default_smile.png

man I really wish I wasnt working this weekend LOL oh well
default_sad.png

yes before and afters! I'm excited for you. i had considered making tail bags and slinkys but never got around to it. lol

Latest posts

Back