What type do I need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowGirlMe

Reaction score
Hey, I was looking into buying a mini and my grandpas girlfriend told me of a lady that breeds mini miniatures. So I know that like in rabbits and such that the littler you get the fiestier they are. Is that the same as in minis? I just recently got into mini and dont know a ton but I can tell you some stuff. Like they never go over 27 inches. So could someone tell me the facts and details?

Miniatures can be 38" or under. I suggest getting a well trained miniature and buy from someone thats respectable in the business and can help you to teach you what you need to know. Any miniature can be fiesty at any size. However I wouldn't suggest in finding a fiesty one and having trouble in the long run.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

It depends on what you want to do with your mini. First off, minis are 38" and under. Do you want to show your mini? Or do you want a pet?

If you want to show a miniature you should really look into geldings. Geldings are perfect for a first timer. You should make sure they have no major confirmation faults such as crooked legs and a bad bite. You can show in halter, driving, obstacle, jumping, and other fun classes. It really depends on what you want to do. I would try to find an AMHA or AMHR registered horse

No, it is not the same. It really depends on the individual horse, sometimes their attitudes are bad, other times (most of the time) they are loving and affectionate

Oh Honey

Hang around here a while and read read read. Do some research and buy from a reputable breeder. Have a vet check done before you buy and dont buy the forst one you find.

BTW welcome to the forum. A great place to learn about miniatures

You can get some very good information and also a lot of opinions by asking questions here on this forum but a wonderful start is also to get Barbara Naviaux's book The Miniature Horse... You can order it through Amazon and other places on the net. You will learn there are more than one registeries for miniatures and with one {AMHR} they have allowed up to and including 38" horses. Another registery {AMHA} has allowed horses up to and including 34" There is tons to learn about miniature horses, their care, breeding and showing and it really is worth the time to learn before buying. Good luck, Mary

CowGirlMe said:
Hey, I was looking into buying a mini and my grandpas girlfriend told me of a lady that breeds mini miniatures. So I know that like in rabbits and such that the littler you get the fiestier they are. Is that the same as in minis? I just recently got into mini and dont know a ton but I can tell you some stuff. Like they never go over 27 inches. So could someone tell me the facts and details?

436629[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back