what to use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
I have a horse that has a tooth abcess. Vet has given shot and a powdered medicine to put on his feed every day. Problem is he is not eating very well. Vet said we can mix in a syringe and give. What is the best thing to mix it with to get it down? Vet also said the only way to remove the tooth would be to cut hole from the outside and knock the tooth out. This sounds horrible to me. Hate to question the vet, but is he right? Thanks

Apple sauce works well. It depends on which tooth it is, the age of the horse, and how long the tooth roots are. If the tooth is fairly stable and it's

long rooted the vet may have to cut the gums to better visualize the tooth root and properly extract it. If you are uncomfortable with what he's doing

I would ask, a good vet will be happy to explain it and why. If not you can get a second opinion from a different vet.

You can also mix your meds in gator aid then syringe it down. Mine usually like the pink stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on the applesause. I put a bit of applesause in the bottom of the big syringe, pour in the medicine that is mixed with a little water, then spoon a bit of applesause on top and put in the barrel of the syringe. Be sure you hold your finger over the hole of the syringe so stuff doesn't run out. When the medicine is sandwiched between the applesause layers you don't lose meds when you put in the barrel and and you have applesause at the end of the delivery so meds don't remain in the end of the syringe either. I use those big barreled 60 cc syringes. The kind that you screw a needle on will gunk up with alot of meds because they are gritty, so get the kind of syringe ment for dosing medicine. My guys love this method of giving meds and beg when they see the syringe rather than run away.

I give powdered banamine and I just put it directly in the horse's mouth.

I put my finger in at the side and the mouth will open enough to put the little cup thru and put it on the tongue.

Yep, I like applesauce to mix. Can be watered down.

Tooth abscesses are terrible, it's usually best if it either heals with antibiotics or rots its way out. If they are back molars you do have to do some invasive surgery to get to them otherwise
default_sad.png

Hope your little one heals up fine!

Andrea

Hi Genie, I used to do that technique for dosing. I was giving my horse some pepto once and in a flash he chomped down on my thumb and took off my nail and broke my thumb too. Ouch.
new_shocked.gif
Now I am a big chicken with hands in the mouth.

I've used vanilla yogurt too, but applesauce is usually a winner too. Or even apple juice instead of water.

Just finished dosing with SMZ's for 10 days, and applesauce was the winner for my girl.

Latest posts

Back