What To Look For?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
Wow, I think Its been like 2 years since I've been on here lol. That since I had a miniature pony as well. Anyways, I'm back on the hunt, this time, Instead of looking for a small backyard bred pony I want something to show. So I figured where would be the best place to learn? I'm very open In my time frame, as right now I don't think I'll be picking one up, for ATLEAST a month. Maybe longer or shorter, depending on how soon I find what I want. Okay, last 2 miniatures I had really bruised my feelings on the breed
default_sad.png
. My first miniature horse was just pure out evil, bit, kicked, reared. Finally I traded her to a small farm for a unregistered colt. Story has been told, many lessons learned from that. I had him trained for show all but the trotting In hand, we tried everything he just didn't want to move under lead line. Very stubborn lol. Some times he was pulling you, other times you were pulling him
default_rolleyes.gif
. I vowed not to do that again, plus neither were registered and I had little experience on conformation information. Why want a miniature now? I got an arabian.....
default_wub.png
lol. Yes, I got a 19yr.old arabian mare for free who has over 6 years of trail experience and about 10+ of show experience. I love the arabian but just don't have room to build more full size stalls. Then I have this dusty 8x10 miniature stall just sitting all by Its self, and an unused pony pasture. Curtsy of my fathers handy work to build such things for me :p. Anyways, I just don't have all the conformation stuff down. Its WAY to confusing, short back? Little ears? Big Eyes? Arabianish face? Straight legs? Long neck? Thick or skinny neck? Tall or Small? Dwarfism? I know there's about 50 other things to look for
default_wacko.png
. I was going to get the Miniature Horse Conformation book, but the library doesn't cover It and I want to make sure Its worth getting. Or If I could just research the information for free.

Ok so lets pin point my goals, I'd love something double registered. Mainly because I'm not In the loop of showing and don't want to be stuck missing out on shows near me due to the fact that my horse Is not Amhr- AMHA or AMHA and not AMHR. If that makes sense. Plus a lot of brood mare/show mares i look at tend to be stocky after/during there pregnant? Is that common, If a mare Is bred does she get bulky and not stay so refined? I would prefer not to get a gelding, just to expand my horizon on breeding, or later on deciding not to breed and geld as my own option. Also I don't want something really big, mostly like 34" or under. Color doesn't really matter. I here Buckeroo and Rowdy blood lines are what are looking good right now. My sister-in-law Is also wanting to purchase, off of my advice. As she has no horse knowledge In general. I'd like to keep It around $2,000 possibly $2,500 max. I'm not looking for everybody advertising or anything. Just general Information, on what works best In the show ring. Would a filly or colt be best, what blood lines? How tall, for what class etc? I'm looking to do Halter, not really big In to the driving and stuff. I'm becoming obsessive about neck/head conformation. Literally.... I'm teaching my guinea pig to "stretch" her head/neck and keep her body correct. She actually looks pretty good lol, she does anything for a kaytee snack or celery. I don't even have to halter her LOL.

When you first started looking, or were to look now. What would you want In a miniature? I'm afraid to get a weanling, Incase It turns out like my other one(s) and has leading problems, temperament problems etc. Anything useful would be great!

I always recommend a gelding for a persons first show horse. But I do understand that not all want that. So in that case I would go with a filly not a stallion. Even though they are small they are still stallions and will act like a stallion. Thats more stress then someone new to showing needs. Always look at conformation first and then make sure the horses disposition fits with yours. Do not buy the first horse you see. Take your time.

We do not have any fillies for sale but feel free to come out and visit us anytime. We are also in Ohio. We are getting ready to do our first pinto show if you live near hilliard ohio. Come visit!

Kay

[

I was actually looking at two of her mares Indy and Cinnamon. But Indy Is not double registered, and Its like $300 to get her In to AMHR, including all her AMHA paperwork etc. I had looked It up when I looked at a Grey filly that I was considering doubling her In to the AMHR. As it Is $200 If she Is AMHA. Plus the other original fee's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always recommend a gelding for a persons first show horse. But I do understand that not all want that. So in that case I would go with a filly not a stallion. Even though they are small they are still stallions and will act like a stallion. Thats more stress then someone new to showing needs. Always look at conformation first and then make sure the horses disposition fits with yours. Do not buy the first horse you see. Take your time.
We do not have any fillies for sale but feel free to come out and visit us anytime. We are also in Ohio. We are getting ready to do our first pinto show if you live near hilliard ohio. Come visit!

Kay
I'm about 2 hours from Hilliard/the Columbus area. Is that your website In your signature? Because I just looked at your website, It says your In Thornsville and you have a Overo mare for $1,500 on your for sale page?

When you get advice from people here, in person, in books, or wherever -- take a look at how they apply what they know or think they know to picking out their own horses and look at how well their horses have done at shows. This is something you evaluate privately for yourself and it can be a good way to gage if they are good people to seek advice from in my opinion. A mentor can be a great thing or not... Depending on who you choose
default_smile.png

Personally when I look for a miniature horse, some of the highlights for me are as follows:

• Long, clean, straight legs
  • Good, even bite
  • Nice, correct feet
  • long neck that ties in high
  • Strong hip
  • Short back
  • Well set tail / hind end
  • Short, pretty head
  • Big eyes / good expression
  • Tight and tippy ears
Remember that good conformation comes first and good conformation in an Arabian is good conformation in a miniature. The differences boil down to type, but good conformation is just that, regardless of the breed of horse
default_yes.gif

Good luck finding your new mini!!!

When you get advice from people here, in person, in books, or wherever -- take a look at how they apply what they know or think they know to picking out their own horses and look at how well their horses have done at shows. This can be a good way to gage if they are good people to seek advice from in my opinion. A mentor can be a great thing or not... Depending on who you choose
default_smile.png

Personally when I look for a miniature horse, some of the highlights for me are as follows:

• Long, clean, straight legs
  • Good, even bite
  • Nice, correct feet
  • long neck that ties in high
  • Strong hip
  • Short back
  • Well set tail / hind end
  • Short, pretty head
  • Big eyes / good expression
  • Tight and tippy ears

Remember that good conformation comes first and good conformation in an Arabian is good conformation in a miniature. The differences boil down to type, but good conformation is just that, regardless of the breed of horse
default_yes.gif

Good luck finding your new mini!!!
When you say high end, do you mean there rump being high? Because on the AMHA site under there breed Information It says they tip of the hind quarters should be level with the withers? What do you consider "short" backed? Also by long neck and high set, you mean coming off the top of the chest, Instead of low set like near there legs.

I can foresee the possibility of this thread going in a very wrong direction, critiquing someone else's horses.
This thread has lots of good advise in regards to buying/transferring horses. http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...=95981&st=0
I read that twice before posting :D. It mostly just covers paperwork, I was kind of hoping to get more information on what to look for conformationwise. Unless I missed some posts?

No, I was saying "hind end", like I don't like goose rumps, for it to look like the tail comes out halfway down their butt, etc.
default_biggrin.png
I also don't like butt high on an adult horse, though, now that you bring it up
default_smile.png
I think most horses go through a stage of this, though, as they mature
default_yes.gif

And, yes, I meant I like the necks to come out higher on the chest vs. lower. It's hard to show examples. I like how my horses look, go figure, I've spent a lot of time picking them out... but how would I show the other end of the spectrum
default_smile.png
You just have to look and look, and notice differences where you can PLUS figure what is important to YOU as an owner. It may be far different than what I look for
default_yes.gif

No, I was saying "hind end", like I don't like goose rumps, for it to look like the tail comes out halfway down their butt, etc.
default_biggrin.png
I also don't like butt high on an adult horse, though, now that you bring it up
default_smile.png
I think most horses go through a stage of this, though, as they mature
default_yes.gif

And, yes, I meant I like the necks to come out higher on the chest vs. lower. It's hard to show examples. I like how my horses look, go figure, I've spent a lot of time picking them out... but how would I show the other end of the spectrum
default_smile.png
You just have to look and look, and notice differences where you can PLUS figure what is important to YOU as an owner. It may be far different than what I look for
default_yes.gif
Oh ok lol, I was wondering, because most I look at are very "level" back/butt wise. Yeah my Qh filly has that problem and mostly due to the fact she's 2 and driving me crazy. Its up and down like a roller coaster
default_sad.png

I love your stallion Erica's Gone and DunIt I love the long necks, and refined bodies. I'm not to crazy on stocky miniatures. I'm also short neck phobic. I see a nice miniature, and think Its neck Is short and start freaking out
default_sad.png

In the current market you can afford to be picky as there are alot of minis out there for sale now in your price range.

As Kaykay mentioned I would advocate a gelding - keeping the hormones out of the picture just makes things easier. You should be able to find one with some show experience in your price range. Just take your time and really look, ask lots of questions - really kick the tires!! Fortunately with the internet you can shop hundreds of sites around the world and get a good idea of what you like, what wins, and what you would be comfortable with doing - halter, performance, driving, etc. As for paperwork or show records - call the registries. They can confirm registration status and show records for a small fee (or free) - it's better than getting burned or misled.

Jill made a valid point - if you're seeking a mentor for showing look for one that has/does show successfully and has a great reputation. Personally I don't enjoy showing at all, but really admire the time and dedication of those that do.

Good luck on your search. Make sure to post photos when you find your show horse.

I have an article on my website that discusses some things you can look for when buying a mini (just so I don't have to type it all up for you here ):

How To Buy a Mini

Andrea

Mellisa? I read your post and seen you were in ohio and were a previous member, welcome back
default_smile.png

Your more then welcome back out anytime to talk conformation or during show season when the horses are conditioned and in training.

If you need anything or have any questions, let me know since you are just minutes away and your more then welcome to tag along to any shows with us next year too
default_smile.png

Some good advice given to you so far...........
default_smile.png

I would go into the Lil Beginnings Breeders List for your area and plan on visiting some. Find the ones who show and pick their brains!!!

Join your area's miniature horse CLUB! If there are any fun shows or activities being hosted -- ATTEND.

I highly agree with the recommendation that you look for a gelding as your first Show Horse.

SHOP, ASK QUESTIONS, JOIN IN, AND HAVE FUN -- (BEFORE YOU BUY)

Oh, and remember, there are TWO major mini registries (AMHA and AMHR). Check them both out in your learning process.

Mellisa? I read your post and seen you were in ohio and were a previous member, welcome back
default_smile.png

Your more then welcome back out anytime to talk conformation or during show season when the horses are conditioned and in training.

If you need anything or have any questions, let me know since you are just minutes away and your more then welcome to tag along to any shows with us next year too
default_smile.png
Thanks Leeana, If I have any questions I'll e-mail or call. Right now I just want to get a feel for other farms and show horses to see what I really want. That are relativly close as well
default_smile.png
. Thanks for the offer. Also thanks Kay
default_saludando.gif

As for conformation i like to look at a horse from the tip of the nose and work from the head on down and focus in on the details. When i go to a farm to look at horses for sale, i dont walk out in a pasture and start analizing conformation on every horse in the pasture. I wait for one or two or three to really catch my eye and then go from there. Normally its a "type" that i noticed and like. I recomend you look at the horses that recently won at Nationals and look at the traits those horses have that are winning and try to find those traits in the horses you are looking at.

Like i said..i start at the nose and work my way back. You might want to grab a soda at this point...

First i look at the head..i want a nice big round jaw, large eyes set nice, short distanct between muzzle and ears, small tiny muzzle (correct bite too..of course). Then the ears, i like medium size arabian type ears that are tippy and cuppy and curve in at the top, i also like big pretty arabian type nostrils (as odd as that may sound). Then neck, long cleaned necked...no crest at the top...lots of length an a nice latch. Look at how the neck comes out...you want the neck to be upright so when your showing and your asking the horse to work their neck up and out..you can get that up and out look without an ugly buldge at the bottom of the neck. So a slim neck, but you want to head to look right sitting on the neck so you do not wan a pencil thin ewe neck. You want the neck to set high with a long chest in the front from where it rolls back under to where it comes out in front (if you stand infront of the horse). You want to shoulder to have depth and the angle to slope nice. Then on the forearm of the horse i like to see muscle tone there and blend down into the leg. Flat knee..nothing over or behind at the knee and then i think if they have a longer cannon bone they move a little nicer and dont just trudge along. Then of course feet set well apart and same distance all the way down if you stand infront and look at the legs and straight with toes forward. Pastern angle should match the shoulder angle. Then moving back some more...you want them deep in the girth and tucked as they move back to the flank. Back length..a short to medium back length, but still plenty of leg...when you look at them fron the side you should be able to atleast draw a square around them ...i dont mind a little extra leg though, more is better then less. Then on the croup..you want a long croup that is full not to flat but it should set the tail nicely. If you have a shorter croup then that could mean the horse is going to be weaker on the hind end. Then on the legs you want them set straight and toes straight and hocks straight. When it comes time to condition you will want to ensure the topline is full and the body is smooth and has depth. Of course on movement you want an even mover too.

Thats just what I look for..i personally like a NICE topline and high tail set and a long long neck so that is one of the first things to catch my eye, but i also like my horses to have a "look" to them...which is why i love the BTU line, they all have this "look" when they look at you.

Like i said, that is what i look for and like to see...not every horse i own has that, no, but for the show horses and breeding horses that is the thinking process that goes threw my head when im breaking down a horse that is a prospect for me to buy...

Your welcome! Feel free to come visit or see us at the pinto show oct 3 & 4th. There will be other mini breeders there too. Also Getitia is one of my favorite Ohio farms. We shop there pretty often LOL

buckeye wcf farm

I would suggest you spend your winter doing your homework.

You've already said you like the Buckeroo & Rowdy lines, which I do too.
default_laugh.png
So, start surfing the web and try to pin point what it is you like about those horses. Take notes of the sites you were at, what you saw, liked, disliked.

Contact several breeders. It's fairly easy to know who knows their stuff and who doesn't. If you want to get into showing, look at that farms show record, are they successful? Also, look at the bloodlines they are founded on.

Go to the ASPC/AMHR website, look up judges in Area 2, which you're in. Contact some of them and ask their opinion on whats winning today. Two very helpful people would be Ernie Lamdbin and Arlene Foulk.

And a little tip...just because a horse has "So & So" it it's pedigree doesn't mean its automatically a good horse. Conformation first! Pedigree second.

As far as conformation books. Get a FULL SIZE HORSE conformation book. Miniature Horses are suppose to look like a full size horse in miniature. Learn from a good full size horse conformation book or two or three and apply that knowledge when looking at a miniature.

Do you have any shows near you that you could go to watch? That might be a helpful first step. And, ask lots of questions from anyone and everyone
default_smile.png
You might even spend a bit of time viewing AMHA Worlds on the internet next week.

You have also received some nice pointers here.

Good luck!

Peggy

www.albahurst.com

Do you have any shows near you that you could go to watch? That might be a helpful first step. And, ask lots of questions from anyone and everyone
default_smile.png
You might even spend a bit of time viewing AMHA Worlds on the internet next week. You have also received some nice pointers here.

Good luck!

Peggy

www.albahurst.com
lol lots of information at once. I'll have to read what you said Leeana like 5 times to understand It
default_laugh.png
. Thanks for everybody's Information. I will try and check out some shows, but its towards the end of the year and I don't for say many popping up
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back