What to look for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hi just wondering what qualities should one look for when purchasing a mini for performance. Im interested in doing jumping at some stage and wanted to know what traits personality wise but mainly comformation wise are desirable.

Any pics of your performance horses would be great to see aswell

Thanks
default_smile.png

Hi!

For Jumping, I look for a pretty muscular horse, obviously strong enough to propel over multiple jumps. Ive heard cowhocks help too? straight legs etc Not much conformationally in jumpers.

For driving- Thin throatlatch to flex at the poll, high neckset to lift up front more. You have to build muscle, especially in the back, neck, forearm, hnd quarters.

Im kinda Brain gone, Ill think of more.
default_smile.png

We train all of our minis for performance including jumping. One thing we don't look for is the absolutely flat croups that are so popular in halter classes. Personality is very important and they must like to jump. We like bold and curious, not spooky and difficult, or shy and retiring. We have all 3 types! Intelligence is a big plus in my experience. Some of them quickly figure out how high to jump so they don't waste energy by overjumping. Also, the rules are different for different registries, so that would affect what type horse would do best. We show Pinto where they do jump-offs, so being consistent really helps. For AMHR speed and agilty would be more important.

Our gelding is our best jumper if he isn't scared of the jump! (He is the spooky/difficult one). He is so strong that he can jump from a standstill if he stops dead in front of it! Here he is posed and jumping - he always jumps with this form.

th_cowboy_posing_june-19-2005.jpg

th_CowboyPinto_show_2007003.jpg

Our mare has more refined conformation and is also more predictable and consistent. She was the high point jumper in New England Pinto for 2007 but didn't beat our gelding at the one show he entered. She is our "all'around" mini though, as she can do trail, hunter, halter, liberty, and driving too. Here is Princess (Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic)

Pinto_show_2007002.jpg

th_Pinto_show_2007004.jpg

Sorry about sizes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, my gelding loves to jump. He has a lower croup and a shorter back. Also, his stride is like one and a half. He back foot steps a half a length ahead of where his front foot was when walking (make sense). This gives him a lot of spring. He's also a taller A. I wouldn't suggest jumping anything under 32" only becuase I've never had a smaller horse able to clear the jumps like a bigger one can. Here's my gelding:

686319-R1-09-16_010.jpg

686318-R1-10-27A_011.jpg

686318-R1-12-25A_013-1.jpg

Straight, good legs would be my top concern for a jumping mini... Here's mine that loves to jump:

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

As was said, cow hocks are indeed helpful in jumping, however unless you plan to ONLY do jumping I definitely wouldn't purchase a cow hocked horse. Many warmbloods who have to carry 150 + pound riders over 6 foot fences have a lower croup and/or cow hocks, but our minis are not expected to do this, and with what they are asked to do, they are certainly capable of doing with great "halter" conformation.

For a Hunter, I would look for a consistent steady eddie type horse that uses his back correctly and carries himself round over the fences with with tucked up knees.

For a jumper, I'd look for a horse with a ton o energy, boldness, and a horse that will stay with you no matter what speed you go.

Thanks for all the advice everyone I appreciate it !!

Also for the photos they are great to see
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back