what to look for in a mini mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sold all but one mini just over a year ago, and I am wanting to return to the mini world, I have missed them since about day ONE!

I want to really get something special, good lines and great looks with a show background.

It seems like the mini world is pretty fast paced and what was once considered top notch has changed into something more spectacular. SUre I want disposition, very important, but I want quality too.

So what does a person look for in a mini mare. What lines are good?? and how far back should a good name be to make an impact? 2, 3 4 generations? I know a show record will speak for itself, but I also want to know good lines.

I am going to an auction in a few weeks, what do I look for?? not sure I will buy but I would like to recognize something good when I see it! LOL!!

is there a confirmation course 101 out there! LOL!!

thanks!!

it all depends on what your goals as a breeder are. You have decide what "type" of mini you like and want to breed and then look for a bloodline that throws that type consistently. There are alot of great bloodlines out there. do some online research and see what appeals to your eye. For ex i knew i wanted to breed great moving horses so i started researching the rhoten dandy bloodline.

Also educate yourself on correct conformation. There are no perfect horses but some faults are worse then others. For myself a major fault would be locked stifles or club feet. I would never breed a horse carrying either of these traits.

Going to some shows can tell you alot about what it takes to win in the show ring right now.

I always caution people that unless you have a good idea about correct conformation and bloodlines not to buy at an auction. You only have a short time at auctions to preview the horses. So you really need an experienced eye to look them over and make a fast decision.

[SIZE=14pt]I agree with Kay Kay. Go to some of the successfull web sites and look at the horse they are KEEPING for their programs... check out the mares and stallions. If you are wanting an a size then go to Ericas Tiny Trotters, Belinda Bagby, Getetias Buckeye Walnut creek. The last two will also show you some spectacular B horses. The Bs are really coming on strong with the double registered Shetland/minis, you can see some gret ones at Belinda, Getetias, Bruce Abbott at Dawns Chase Farm in NY, visit my site L&K Miniatures in VA. Mini V, Snowberry in MI ..... these are horses that I am familiar with and that place well at nationals. [/SIZE]

Bloodlines wise, I dont hold much stock unless they are very prepotent for what they are such as Buckaroo, Midget Mike, Little King Supreme but you want them in the first 2 generations or several times in the 3rd and 4th to have a mare you know will produce what she is.

Go back into the forum aarchives and read the critiques especially the Critique your own horse. You will learn alot about conformation there.

You are totally right what was winning as little as 5 years ago isnt anymore. Good luck in your search and dont rush into anything. Be wary at auctions.And I say this as someone who sells GOOD horses at auction occassionally but be away that people dont always disclose everything at the sale. An Egyptian King daughter was bought by friends of mine for her pedigree only to find out later that she was baren. Unless a farm has to disperse, the top quality mares they have stay there until the have problems and then they go to auction. The 1800 dollar EK daughter is just an expensive pet.

Lyn

Personally I would never buy a breeding age mare from an auction UNLESS I knew and trusted the consignor or unless the mare was ready to foal then I would still have to know the person selling.......... I would go for a correct conformation all over balanced yearling or weanling if I could verify parents conformation etc... Bloodlines are the bonus but conformation & good health comes first.... It is almost impossible to verify the health history of horses sold at auctions unless you can trust the seller............ If you shop farms, the breeder should be able to show you pictures, information etc of a mares previous foals. Lots of people are reducing their herds & I have seen some nice broodmares for sale at reasonable prices........................ We put two of our four broodmares up for sale this year & sold them without advertising. I had pictures of all the foals out of the mares to show the quality that each mare produced............. If it is an older mare & there are several skipped years then I would want to know why........ Wanted to add that I am not saying you cannot find a quality healthy broodmare at at auction. The trick is to determine which seller is telling the truth about their mares but you have to remember they have the mares there to sell! Good luck.

You have been given excellent advice. So true that the body style of what was winning five years ago has totally changed. Judges are looking for refinement, refinement, refinement in the horses that are placing.

Also realize that it takes time to educate yourself. The more you read, talk to other miniature people, search websites, make inquiries, the better off you will be. Sometimes I think a lifetime would not be enough to learn everything one would want to know!

thank you for all the advice, I probably wont buy at the auction but will be fun to go. I do know somewhat of what I am looking for...I have been on a ton of sites and have inquired about a few fillies or mares. I will continue to educate myself.

thanks!

Terri

Latest posts

Back