What suppliments do you use / like

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
What suppliments do you use / like for your horses? I know good grain, and good hay is really all they "need", but for those of us that suppliment what are your recomendations for foals, broodmares, weanlings, yearlings, senior horses ext. Maybe this could be moved to the "best of lilbeginnings" section on the forum eventually just for reference ...

Weanlings/Yearlings/Foals i like Dumor brand Horse Vitamins that you can find at TSC. 16% protein and has added Rice Bran, its nice to add some extra Vitamins in for the younger horses, then agian i feed my junior horses really well, just cannot get enough nutrition into them.

Broodmares i suppliment with Farnam Mare Plus.

For Shiny healthy coats i like Buckeye Ultimate Finish which is also good for keeping weight up too on the show horses.

Okay what are YOUR personal recomendations on suppliments
default_biggrin.png

As far as grain, i feed Purina Omlene 200, Beet Pulp, Rolled Oats, Ultimate Finish and Gro N Win and grass/alfalfa mix hay, but besides that what are your "suppliments"
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A good grain.. I prefer to feed Blue Seal brands.. good hay, beet pulp and baled alfalfa. I also LOVE black oil sunflower seeds..

As for supplements..

I LOVE Mare Plus: Pregnant mares and those with foals.

Grow Colt for the weaned foal.

Red Cell for the ones lacking 'bloom'..

Oh yeah,

Probiotic powder and a good all around like Vita Plus for the rest..

and free choice salt (white) and mineral (red) licks..

For show horses, or if you just want "added shine", I love Super 14. It makes the horses SHINY!
default_wub.png

We feed an all around supplement called Dr. Bensons TNS plus. Our broodmares, show horses, breeding stallions, and young-uns get it daily. Our Modern Shetlands that are out with a trainer also get it as well. Up until a few years ago, it was just TNS(Total Nutritional Supplement) but the company improved its ingredients, and came out with TNS plus, which we switched over to. All we give for supplements is the TNS and Strongid daily wormer.

We have never had a supplement in all of the years that we have owned miniatures that worked as well as this. TNS is worth its weight in gold. I also like the fact that a little bit goes a long way.... It helps the horses keep a healthy coat and supplies them with all of the essential vitamins.

Here is the website for it: www.drbensons.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the basic alfalfa mix hay I like BOSS and whole flax (I use BOSS for weight gain too)Beet pulp for the hard keepers, whole oats for energy when extra is required. Also Hoffman's minerals and free choice salt. Most of mine get just hay and mineral/salt and a bit of whole flax and Boss for their coats unless they seem to need more.

My pony gets vegitable oil to help fatten him up.

My QH stallion gets Cosquin for his joints, Missing Link for vitamins and coat, Biotin Plus for hooves and hair (he's a TB cross), Electrolytes since he's an "outdoor horse" and sweats a lot, and Psyllium Fiber Blend for sand colic.

I feed Triple Crown Lite, and beet pulp. For supplement I use flax. I also like Next Level for my older horses, really seems to help the joints.

We feed Nutrena Compete, it's a 14% pelleted grain, soaked beat pulp, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, daily wormer, weight builder (for the ones that need it), horse shoers secret, quiessance (sp) again for the ones that need it. They get their hay twice daily. We also do sand purges regularly. We do all of our suppliments at night because we have more time, and if one of the horses thinks they have been shorted something they let us know!!
default_rolleyes.gif

All the horses and Minis get Blue Seal Sunshine Plus. For the first time in years my hard keeper Appendix has no ribs showing
default_smile.png

On top of that we also feed...

Purina Senior

Omelen 100

Omelene 200

Brooks Phase 2

Beet Pulp

Flax seed

All 12 horses have different needs, hence all the feed types.

I am happy you said that...I just started mine on Super 14 two weeks ago. I saw the most beautiful, shiny, glossy palomino stallion at a show and I they said he gets Super 14 plus Alfalfa hay and that was it. I know each horse responds differently but, already, I notice my two are "sparklier"
default_biggrin.png

I also feed quality timothy/alfalfa hay three times a day, Gold As Sun (seems to be working too..they are a deeper gold for sure), Bug Check and the Super 14.

For show horses, or if you just want "added shine", I love Super 14. It makes the horses SHINY!
default_wub.png

My minis get only grass and hay. That being said they are pasture pets and right now nothing more. If they were getting worked it would be differant.

Our riding horse gets Equi-Pro 10/8, 1 scoop am with probios, and cocasoya oil

1 scoop pm with probios, cosequin optimized, farrier's formula,

and 2 squirts(1/4 cup) cocosoya oil

He also gets a polyglycan shot once a month for his joints also.

I love all those supplements. We use others at the barn also like: ulce-r-aide, vitamin e 5000, omegatin, sunshine plus (some of the horses are just on this alone).

Christy

Latest posts

Back