What steps do you take to screen a potential home??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
I don't sell horses very often. I recently sold one and I thought I was thorough. The lady seemed nice enough, brought pictures of her horses and told me of her plans. She had four mares she wanted to breed him to and then get him driving.

He's been gone just under a month. We've been staying in touch via email on a very regular basis. I've been checking on how he is settling. My plans were to go up and see him next week over spring break. Last night I get an email from her telling me how much she doesn't like him or the other stallion she owns and that she'll probably never love any stallion she owns,
default_wacko.png
and that I can buy him back later this summer since I love him so much. Naturally after she breeds her mares to him.

I am beside myself. I sent her an email telling her we'll come get him Sunday and she can have her money back. I haven't heard back from her and if I don't I'll call her tonight. I don't want him in a home where he's not wanted.

What can I do to prevent this from happening again. I went over every little detail about him, I asked her about care and feeding and housing and all seemed great.

Any tips????

Sounds like she just wanted free stud service! What a flake! Sorry this happened to you.....you just never know!

I agree wholeheartedly and it makes me mad. I just don't want him in a bad situation and right now I feel pretty darn helpless.

Sedeh took the words out of my mouth! I bet she stalls about you getting your horse until after she has your stallion cover all of her mares.......

Oh, how terrible! I hope you do go and get him back. That is just beyond belief!

Why are people so selfish and greedy???

I cant believe she is doing this to you. He apparently is JUST a sperm donor!!

I hope you get him back quick for all your sakes!!

Keep us posted...

I sent you a PM because I do not think this should be addressed in an open forum in case the new owner reads this forum too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing this on an open forum.

First, Candice in no way identified this person. If they see themselves, they will be the only ones.

Second, considering how this person has acted, if they see themselves and take offense, tough cookies. Considering that Candice sent her an email requesting that she get the horse back immediately, it appears that she has said nothing here that she wouldn't (or hasn't) said to the buyer's face (well...to her computer...).

I hope this buyers DOES read LB and sees herself through the eyes of others who realize that horses are living, sensitive beings.

Candice, I wish more people cared as much as you do!

I just didn't want to tip off the person as to what I was going to say. I didn't think there was anything wrong with discussing it in the open forum just what I said I didn't want the person to be wise to. I wasn't upset to what was being said. This person that bought the horse is not honest.

I agree with Katieann. I have no problem discussing this, no names were mentioned but I am going to pm with an idea that I have.

Robin

default_wacko.png
She's saying she doesn't like the stallion, but she doesn't want you to buy him back until after he covers her four mares? :DOH!

I'm certainly no expert, but that just strikes me as fishy.
default_no.gif

You sound like someone I could be friends with.

I've been preparing a sales list since Christmas and still can't seem to post it.

I do ask for a vet reference and that really helps. But as for a person acting

looney in the brain, you just never really know about that. So yes this can happen again

and I don't see any real way to stop it. I hope you get your horse back without a bunch of

bull.

[SIZE=12pt]Good luck Candice - I sent you an e-mail.[/SIZE]

Barbie

I'd demand a veterinarian's statement clearly showing that ALL exposed mares were given Lutalyse shots to abort any and all foals from this stallion. Or, of course, an appropriate stud fee. If she really hates him that much, she won't mind lutalysing all the mares!

Just tell her what the stud fee per mare will be (and make it pricey) and that you won't give any service certificates until you are paid in full.

Rita

Oh no! After things didn't work out with my getting him from you, and the problems we had, and now this too, you must be going crazy! I do feel really bad for you. I would certainly NOT wait to take him back. Tell her you either buy him back NOW, or if and when you so, you will be charging her the cost of 4 stud services if it is later on. Good Luck!

Here is the scoop. She has no qualms about what she is going. Ethically or morally.
default_no.gif
She is very upfront that she is breeding her mares and that I can't have him back until June. My husband is only willing to bring him back now.

I can't go and steal him. When she purchsed him we agreed that if she ever sold him I had first option. She is notifying me of her intent to sell and allowing me that first option. Right or wrong that is the whole of it.

At this time I am forwarding to her contact info on people that had inquired on him after she purchased him. I can only pray that she will screen potential buyers "better than I did" and find him a nice home.

She did tell me that I am still welcome to come and visit him on Sunday.

Thankyou to everyone for your support and wonderful suggestions. I hate being so helpless!!!
default_sad.png

Wow, I'm sorry this happened to you, but I have the feeling that this just might become a bit more common as gas and feed prices continue to rise. There are people down the road from me who raise goats. Once a year they go to auction and buy a billy, breed all their nannies and then take him back to the auction in 3 months. Free stud service??
default_new_shocked.gif
I can definately see this happening in the horse world as well! Such as cheesey way to cut corners IMO.
default_no.gif

While I know you are very upset she is not doing anything she is not entitled to. She bought and paid for the horse and offered you right of first refusal per your bill of sale.

This type of thing happens all the time no different then purchasing a horse cheap and 3 days later offering it for resale at double the price.

Latest posts

Back