What small breed dog do you like?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
If you had to pick a small breed dog which would it be?

Well Ashley, I will have to say the SHIH Tzu
wub.gif
As companion dogs I feel they can't be beat.......they have been bred for generations to be just that "companions"....I also think they're one of the happiest dogs you'll ever meet
yes.gif
just like a kid in Doggy clothes
smile.gif
Here is one of our puppies we've raised...........
lacee9.jpg

Shih-tzu's for me, too! We have four of them, with Winston being the love of my life. In my experience, shih-tzu dogs are very loving and confident. They are not the stereotypical little dog that is yappy and nervous. If you could see how they strut around with this springy step, it is easy to see how proud they are!

WINSTON%20--%2006082005%20002.jpg

I love Miniature Pinschers, just cuz they are "spoiled", yet they think they are the "big dog on the block", too...My dog, Gunner, is really a huge wimp, but he doesnt act like it...LOL! He also "must" be covered up at night with his "blankie"...I am owned by a Min Pin and I wouldnt have it any other way
laugh.gif

I like Mini Pins as well, but herd they are hard to house break. NOt sure I want another stubborn one.

Ashley said:
I like Mini Pins as well, but herd they are hard to house break.  NOt sure I want another stubborn one.
457526[/snapback]

Sorry.......blanket statements like that are not true. I have had two min pins and never had a problem with house breaking. Friends of mine breed min pins and her house is emaculate. Mini dachshunds are not supposed to house break either. Mine was trustworthy at 4 to 5 mo. old. When I get a new puppy I spend tons of time with it for the first month or two. I live and breathe puppy. I do not have one dog that is not trustworth. But I crate when I leave and I crate at night.

Ashley if you want a min pin......get one......but choose one carefully. There are ways to test more trainable dogs from the less trainable ones in a litter.

Now.......as far as small dogs, there are many I like, but you really need to pick the dog with the personality type that fits in with your needs. You certainly would not want a Border Collie as an apartment dog. A dog has to be suited for your lifestyle in order to work.

I can tell you that I have Jack Russells, Cairn Terriers, Mini Dachschund, Yorkies, Schnauzers, Min Pins.................all make GREAT "little" dogs.

Now bigs dogs......no doubt in my mind..........Dobermans..........people on four legs!................well, not exactly. Way more loyal than people!

I hope you find your Mitzi a nice companion.....and you too!
laugh.gif

Carol

You will not get this suggestion from to many people but a ten inch beagle would be an ideal choice for you. So many of the small breed dogs do better where either they are the only dog or the other dog is the same breed. Beagles get along with everybody. Ther used to be just 13 and 15 inch beagles but many are available now in the 10 to 12 inch range. Sweet disposition, smart as all get out and there is nothing cuter than a beagle pup.

But I crate when I leave and I crate at night.Ashley if you want a min pin......get one......but choose one carefully. There are ways to test more trainable dogs from the less trainable ones in a litter.
What would that be? There are some mini pins for sale in my framemaker I was gonna call on.

Finding Mitzi a buddy that she likes should be hard. She has liked every dog she has came in contact with so far. THe great pry, but they dont like her.

THen there is the rotty, cavalier, pug, flat coat reteriver, pointer, and then the basset. They all liked her and played well together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats a min pin...can you post a pic??

hmmm.....I don't know much about dogs. Grew up with collies (like Lassie) and then had a collie and then boxers. Not a lot of variety here.

I do really like the perfect little miniature collies - I think they might be called shelties? and I like the pugs a lot like the one Michele Prekker had last year.

Paris Hiltons dog Tinkerbell is available - he/she got too big for the purses she likes to carry (like what, hit two pounds?) and she got a new smaller new dog and poor Tink lives with her parents now.

I like Boston Terriers>>>>wonderful personalities, funny and loyal

I like the Scotties, pugs and jack russells too. Although I don't have any first hand knowledge on them.

LOL on Michelle Prekkers pug.....saw that dog at 2 shows last year.....at first I thought it was mocking me for staring at him
laugh.gif
......always had it's tongue sticking out like a little kid.....nana nana na na
laugh.gif
Cute dog!

OK for the record I ADORE min pins......however the only ones I owned or lived with were foster dog's (not raised by me) and they were not housetrained.....nor would they have anything to do with the idea PERIOD
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

of course I have not met a housetrained cocker to date either so there you go
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
it is that whole blanket statement thingy....never met an ornery boston in my life (my uncle has always had one) and my bosses boston is a snipey nosed neurotic convinced your going to beat her defensive dog......hmmm wonder what my boss is like at home
new_shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Ashley I suggest looking for a specific dog for Mitzi rather than a breed keep an open mind and let her tell you who is right
wink.gif
wink.gif

We have a pug and a peke, Bunny and Bandy, both are great little dogs. Our pug is very friendly and playful, the peke is your true lap dog. Here is a picture of them both from dress up last Halloween. By the way the pug is only 2 and the peke is 14.

f5bdb961.jpg

justaboutgeese said:
You will not get this suggestion from to many people but a ten inch beagle would be an ideal choice for you.  So many of the small breed dogs do better where either they are the only dog or the other dog is the same breed.  Beagles get along with everybody.  Ther used to be just 13 and 15 inch beagles but many are available now in the 10 to 12 inch range.  Sweet disposition, smart as all get out and there is nothing cuter than a beagle pup.
457538[/snapback]

I've never owned a beagle, but a small beagle is what I would want, if I ever get a small dog. I've heard they have great personalities. Had neighbors in Colorado with a 13" beagle, they ignored the poor thing, but he was so sweet.

Terri, that picture is PRICELESS!!!
biggrin.gif
Caption should read.....look ma....I'm the ANGEL and.......next to me is the DEVIL.
laugh.gif

Last April I went on a hunt for a dog. Our long time family dog had passed away and I knew if I didn't pick the dog then my husband and boys would. So I would probably end up with some slobbering, farting, belching, shedding wild 200 lbs beast.

After alot of investgation I determined a Shih-Tzu was the the perfect size, cleanest, low keyed, non shedding and easiest to train. So we bought this adorable little puppy. Well we love him but he is the dirtest little pig I have ever owned. He loves to play in the irrigation water and then roll in the horse poop, so he is usually a lovely shade of green. Hates to be indoors and loves to drag cats all over the place. Hates his crate so he sleeps in our room on his bed. Hates his expensive dog food and sneaks out every chance he can to steal the cat's food. Can hear a potato chip bag open a mile away. I swear he has ADHD and a good shot of ritalin would do us both good. Has never walked anywhere always at a dead run. Has a stragedy to place his toys in the exact spot we walk and then laugh at us when we twist our ankles.

But we love him and wouldn't trade him for anything. He loves to horse show and runs when he see us loading up to go. So I guess we are Shih-Tzu people wether we like it or not.
biggrin.gif

Tammi

My sister has a Jack Russel. Her name is Lucy and she is a very smart, high-energy dog. Shelties can be pretty small too and they are wonderful (Ok, so maybe I'm prejudiced since I grew up with them and have one now), smart and easily trained.

Latest posts

Back