What small breed dog do you like?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westies! They are the happiest little guys.
wub.gif

cotton1.jpg

Here ya go Ashley and anyone else. it is just fun to do. They actually have on for cat breeds too.

Animal Planet Pet Selector

I said I didn't care about the size or grooming and it said that an Old English Sheep dog was a good match for me. Which is ironic because that is my mom's favorite dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing! It actually told me Mini Poodle first (95%), Toy Poodle (93%) and Maltese was on the next page (90%). I don't think I've ever had an Online breed selector work quite that well...

wub.gif

yep that is the best dog selector I have run across....it matches me with chows and sharpeis right off then hits pyrs and into the sighthounds.....now I gotta go try the cat one
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OH yeah top four were all the orientals.....I love my dogs to be cat like and my cats to be dog like.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OH but remember I own on of the untrainable cockers, who by the way is finally house broke! She turns 6 months tommorow.

Funny thing, that test, a cocker didnt even show up.

Alright smarty pants
wink.gif
I know blanket statements are meant to be broken.....I only said I had personally never met a house trained cocker...doesn't mean it CANT be done
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
and for the min pins they were adults and I consulted with several reputable breeders who told me that breed can be difficult to housebreak and more so in the case of abused dogs.........

If the adult min pin is house broke and well socialized it should crate train quickly and I imagine if this person shows that their dogs are all already crate trained.
wink.gif

Ashley said:
OH but remember I own on of the untrainable cockers, who by the way is finally house broke!  She turns 6 months tommorow.

Funny thing, that test, a cocker didnt even show up.

459588[/snapback]

My fav breed is dachshunds and I can't get that test to match me with them eitehr lol

I'm not a little dog person either, I would do like Marty says and check out the pound. If I HAD to get a little dog....it would have to be a Westhighland Terrier or a Jack Russell - although both seem a little hyper. I like beagles, but all the ones I've known don't tend to be too intelligent and they stink (have that hound smell). I'm sure not all beagles are stupid though, they are very loyal dogs and don't seem to have a mean bone in their body. Had a mini dachsund when I was young, he was as dumb as a rock too, but very cute and he tried so hard to please.

My parents had a cocker for 12 years...stubborn, stubborn dog! They never got him fixed and he ruled that house. For some reason my Father felt it was mean to remove his manhood...he would pee on things, like the corner of the couch or bed. He was so dang cute, but he was a little monster! His name was Baxter, his fathers name was Chester the Molester -
laugh.gif
- His family name fit him well as Baxter raped his bed everynight...gross!

Good luck in your search. Do those mini pins shake like a chihauha dog? That drives me batty...I always want to give them zanax to calm their nerves!

speaking of the chihauhas (I'm sure I'm not spelling it right)....last week at camp, we were at a beach and there were all these dogs running around (springer, beagle, newfoundland, chihauha, my two dogs - lab and mix)...The little chi dog was trying to rip everyone else up. Her name was "killer"...she was hanging on the lips of the Newfoundland , growling and trying to rip him apart...the Newfoundland just stood their in amazment (the Newfoundland was a totally amazing dog, but I don't think I could handle all that hair)! It was halarious...of course my camera was tucked away in the boat and couldn't get it in time.

I am not that big of a fan of chihuahuas. We had one when I was a kid. He was given to us by our hired man. He was abused before this guy got him. He had a perfect cross on his head where his old owners hit him over the head with a cow trainer.

He bonded to my sister and she could do anything with him. The rest of us was another story. Some days you could, but most days he would growl and bite you.

Yes it needs to be a small dog, I only live in a town house, which is not big enough for a large breed.

Ashley, I have a mini poodle who I adore. Poodles do not like to share their master with other dogs though..., she growls at all the others when they get near me...but I LOVE her. I also have a dachshund , he is absolutely the best. He is fixed so no problems there, personality to die from...no maintence except a bath once in a while...I have a black cocker, the very best dog in the world...minds me so good, get hurt if you get on her for anything., had no trouble potty training her, gotta be groomed though. Then I have this little min pin that is really my daughters and grandma keeps her about half the time. I LOVE this dog so much !! Only problem with her is the vet has to clip her toenails for me...she is so mean !!
yes.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I cannot do them but then the dachshund won't allow it either so those two go to the vet for toenail clips...usually. Of these four I do not think I could choose one of them, but in getting another dog I would definitely get a short haired that does not have to go to the groomers monthly and cost 25 to 30 .... I love the mini pin and would definitely have another one...so much personality.!!!! Absolutely adorable !!!

Clara

I have a crapz-hu(sp?), and a she-poo (crapzu, poodle mix)...but my all time fav "little dog" would be the min pin
yes.gif

-Kris

As far as calling some small dogs stupid or dumb. I would like to remind people that dogs like the dachshund were bred to think for themselves. A dachsund in a bandger den that came when it was called may have put itself in danger. Dachsunds and terriers tend to do what they think is best and in years gone by it kept the dog alive. Just because a dog does not do what it was told to do, doesn't make it dumb.

I wasn't a "little dog person" until I owned one. Now I love them.

"Poodles do not like to share their master with other dogs though..."

I think what you might be seeing is a Poodle who knows your Doxie isn't another Poodle and because of that doesn't want to share you. I have seven Toy or Mini Poodles and a Maltese. The Maltese seems to think she's a Poodle... but the Poodles know better. They treat her differently and don't want her to get any of "their" attention. I've seen the same scenario play out between a Poodle and another breed or mix many times before. Poodles are just "too smart" sometimes!

biggrin.gif

Getting in on this late but for happy , good dispositions, just pleasant all around dogs my chinese cresteds are it!! They are just happy , fun, little guys. And they come in hairless and powderfuff with the puffs being fully coated and often quite reasonable compared to the hairless.

Another great rare toy breed is the affenpinscher also known as the toy monkey terrier. These are super smart, loyal, little dogs and have very little upkeep which is a big plus. Check out my website if u want to see pix. I have owned , shown and loved both breeds for years.

Latest posts

Back