What size wheels for a cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousie96

Reaction score
I am wondering what size of cart wheels would be best for a 35" mini? My dad and I are going to be building a cart but I don't know what size if wheels to get!

I build carts and I use 20", 24" or sometimes 26" depending on the kind of driving and the surface you lan to drive on. Our show carts use 24" wood wheels which, when you add the hard rubber tires end up just short of 26" diameter. For my 35" mini training cart I use wheels theat are about 21" diameter mainly because that is what I can easily find.

The wheels are the weakest component of the cart and it is not easy to find wheels that are strong yet light weight enough to not overload the horse. I would recomment you check out Kingston Saddlery. They offer several choices of wheels at pretty good prices. They have steel spoke wheels with hard rubber tires whice you can use in any show and are strong enough to take down a trail. They cost about 250.00 per pair, which includes shipping. They also have some nice steeel spoke wheels with preumatic tires for 160.00 per pair, including shipping. Since you're in MN, your closest supplier is Northern Tool, they have steel wire spoke wheels with pneumatic tires at around 50.00 each, but I would spend a litle more and go to the Kingston Saddlery wheels. They are much stronger and are more traditional looking. Go with 3/4 inch axles. If you are looking for wood wheels, check out the Amish wagon shops in your area. I don't know where in MN you are, but a good place I've done business with is Yoder Wagon Works in St, Charles MN, near Rochester. David Yoder builds very nice vehicles and he'll help you find anything you need to build a nice wood cart. Have fun building your cart

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back