What size should run-in be for 15 mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I am planning new paddock layout and wanted one large run-in for 15 mares or so. I already have a 12x20 shed for shelter and there will be lots of high tree shade for the summer and open sun in the winter. My concern is that some of the horses can be mean and push out the timid ones. And their 'personal space' can be quite large! lol

Snow is a significant problem here. Hot summers and other severe weather is not.

I have a 60 foot flat area and I only want to build one additional shelter this year. It will go basically east-west with the opening to the north. I am thinking 8 feet high in the front and 4 feet high in the back. 20 feet doesn't seem long enough... 60 seems too big.

Please share your designs.

30' X 16' would give them plenty of room! I would make the front 8' high and the back 6' high! That way you can walk all the way to the back without bending over! Lot easier to clean that way!

Bill

Be sure the open front is where the least bad weather will be.Some sort of dividers as suggested will help timid mares get away from pushy ones.My run in sheds are 8 feet high 8 feet deep with an overhang and 24 feet long.You can save money in building if you make dimensions the same as pre cut lumber lengths.Less labor +less waste.I would suggest making them as long as you can afford since horses always seem to have issues in large groups and you don't want anybody left outside in bad weather.Our dividers in most run ins are just 2x4s run front to back.If there are issues with mares you can always use plywood for dividers.for 15 mares I would go with 40 feet or more long.If not you can always add on later but it will be more costly.Also consider using pre built roof trusses.This may determine your depth.

I have 1 shed for a group of 11 mares and it is 20 x 16--it works well. It's with the open 20' side facing south and the back is about 7' high at the lowest, 10' high at the front.

I have a 16' X 36' run-in I designed and my husband and I built. It is a 'pole'barn type. Front is @ 8' high, back @ 6'; Bill is right...you will be sorry if you build it so you can't stand up in the back of it!

Mine faces south. Many here face east, but in the winter, the sun moves to the south, so will shine 'into' a south-facing shed...at the height of winter, sunlight 'reaches' all the way to the rear of the 16' 'deep' shed...a real 'plus' to me, when you live where it can get snowy and cold! Also, the prevailing wind direction here in winter is from the NW, so the shed 'backs up to' the worst winter winds. I would suggest researching which direction the worst winter weather usually approaches from(wind, snow direction'),build for best protection from that. I would be very leery of building anything that opens to the north, honestly...unlessmaybe the tree cover is to the north and would block the winter sun, but perhaps provide more 'break' against a prevailing wind.

The highest number of minis that I had using this shed at one time was 7; if it were me, for 15, I'd build it at LEAST 16'deep X 36' long, and longer would be even better---say, 40'-48'. Yes, do design it to use 'dimension' lumber...just remember to allow some of the length of roofing(if using galv. or other metal 'sheets', at least)for overhang at each end, and, overlap. The outer 'shell' of my shed is of painted metal panels, but it is 'lined' up 4' on the INSIDE w/ 1/2" plywood, to prevent 'kicking through'...which a mini CAN do...I know of at least one that bled to death quickly after doing so. If you are using it JUST for a run-in(I feed mine in an 8' long feeder under the shed, regularly), then you could probably put in a couple of 'divider' walls, maybe only @ 8' deep.

Margo

The space is an open area, about a 1/2 acre, surrounded by woods. The back would be up against one side of the woods. There isn't a lot of area for winds to sweep in. And I wouldn't have thought of north except the south side has small sheds for my stallions, etc. and with it facing north I can see it all from my house.

Dont know what would be the right size.. But thought i would tell you about our run in / barn We bought a carport 18 by 20 ( can be any size but this size best price ) 600.00 and they put it in & together - Peek is 8 feet tall sides are 6... We put on 4 feet wood sides and 1 foot of clear roof plastic, lets light in and can have it off in the summer for air flow. Closed the back and some of the front, Front has a 6 foot door way to one side. I think all in all 800.00 to do it and we didnt have to do to much work or a roof
default_wink.png
the carport people did the hardest work.

Just thought i would let you know, it worked so well i did a chicken building the same way only bigger 18 by 30

can add on down the road to

Good luck on your project.

Latest posts

Back