What size is YOUR hunter/jumper ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alfalfa is a 37" 1/4 gelding and seeing as hes a big boy he will jump anything i put in front of him... usually (on a normal day) he is a bullet and runs wayy faster than me and doesnt get his turns(that are going into him) and i have to shove him.. at old bell this pass june i wasnt wearing my cleats and i was wearing skate shoes.. and i slipped right underneathe him.. oops silly me.. (yeah it was all her fault-says alfalfa) but i still got up really fast but turned him to quickly and my lead hit the standard and it fell over..
default_sad.png
well my time was 18 secs and the time to beat was i think 20 . something... but i had a fault which put on 5 seconds lol oh well i still did have tonnes of fun... hehe
default_yes.gif
: :lol: but he didnt stap on me!! good boy!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wink.png
:

well i havent excactly mesured how high he can jump but looking at the leangth of those legs... im guessing the mystery hright could be pretty high
default_wink.png
: heres a few pics of him jumping

his favourite kind of jump is an oxor...

IMG_0630.jpg

awwe isnt he special..

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/mi...ng/IMG_0614.jpg

and he DID make this jump.. (i must say...)

sillyalfalfalon.jpg

im really sorry if the pics are a little large....

thanks for letting me share

Well Kid is more into hunter, only because he's a wuss
default_wink.png
: Actually he's just a pain
default_smile.png
)!

Here are some pics from our photo shoot this weekend. The jump is two tires cut in half, two halfs on top of each other on each side with a post as the top
default_smile.png
The sorrel pinto is Kid (AKA Rabbit Hutch Ranch Charro's Classy Kid), the palamino pinto is Matthew (AKA Germels Matthew), the bay is Gracie (AKA Double JJ's Gracious Moment)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/kid...s22/gracie2.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/kid...idall4inair.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/kid...s22/matthew.jpg

I love jumping pics! :aktion033: For those of you with the smaller minis, like 30" and under,how high do yours jump? I'm also interested to see how the little ones compare.
default_smile.png

Hi my name is Katie and I'm Mini Lover's friend. My little mare is an amazing jumper! Her name is Littlefoot's Tipperary and she's about 33 inches and can jump 38 inches!! Well I haven't tried anything higher yet, but I will. The best part is she loves to jump . . . a little too much! She'll jump over the fences to the other feilds and just visit whichever horses she wants. Once she jumped over the fence onto the road, which was horrible because she had soo many close calls with cars zooming by. This mare will attempt (and almost always clear) anything i put in fromt of her. She is amazing and i love her soooooooooooooo much
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

~ katie

here is one of the pics of her jumping, this is low for her! sorry its a bit fuzzy, and she is too :p

Pictures007.jpg

isn't she gorgeous????

Hey Katie...

heard a rumour your horse could easily
default_yes.gif
: clear those standards in the pic.

And...where's her awesome driving photo???

You know...the one with :new_shocked: all the ribbons!

I've had numerous jumping horses...

Last year I had a 26" stallion who did hunter, which only goes up to 24", but I would put him in jumper from time to time to fill a class for points on another horse and he cleared 28 easily, and could clear 30" though I never tried him any higher, I think he could have gone higher.

Excalibur is 32.5 and can clear 44 easily, he has sailed over my should before, which I would say is roughly 50". I have never asked him to do more than 44-46, but in doing those heights he has sailed high. ( he is also 13 years old)

Revenge was 33, and could easily clear 40, and most of the time clear 44.

Micky is 31.5 and this year was his first year for hunter/jumper and could do 40 easily, and sometimes cleared 44.

Scarlet is 33.5, she used to do about 38-40" but she was also 16 when she learned to jump and was 16-18 when she was showing in jumper.

I've had many others, but that gives you a sampling of what I've had various heights and ages.

I tried to post pictures, but It kept telling me they are all too large no matte how I resize them.

wow this topic is o-l-d, lol. I noticed the post I had on the first page is from 2006
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
. Anyway, that little jumper of mine has excelled!!! He loves it and can easily clear four foot now. Here are some pictures from last month at a clinic I taught demoing "high jumping"

people pay BIG bucks for these tight knees in the big horse world:

n135600990_30184759_7550.jpg

I am 5'7 for a reference:

n135600990_30184762_872.jpg

Courtney

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW! I thought my girl jumped pretty high until I started seeing all the 40''s!!!!!

My 30 inch mare jumps higher than my 34 inch.
default_rolleyes.gif
Covergirl is 30 inches and has jumped 33'', I haven't pushed her too far as she's out of shape right now. She has good form and looks like a hunter, but when she's put at the smaller heights (hunter jumps) she over jumps them and breaks her stride.

Kassie usually does 2'6", nothing big. She probably has the ability to go higher but she just refuses everything after 2'6".
default_wacko.png
She has done well in hunter though. (Even if she has more of a 'jumper form'. She too has 'tight knees'.)

Covergirl (a bit blurry but you can get the idea)

CovergirlJUMP.jpg

Kassie

IMG_6087.jpg

Great post, even if it's really old!
default_laugh.png

Rebecca

Last edited by a moderator:
My 32 inch stallion who primarily does hunter can clear most every hunter jump. I have been working with him and weve gotton upwards of 36 inches. Boy he has no spark but absolutly loves to jump.

Well my little 29.5 inch gelding can clear 36/38 inches at home depending on how fit he is..but shows are another story lol..and my 31.5 inch gelding can jump higher than any of the jumps i own and my highest goes to 40 inches...so we will see what he can do next summer when he's actually in shape. But one thing to remember is not to over do it..your horse will tell you when i's too high..learn to recognize when they tell you it's too much.

Here is our tiny hunter/jumper "Legend" with my husband Tommy on the other end of the lead. Legend is all of 28 1/4" tall, but acts as if he is MUCH taller!

This picture was taken this year at the "Touch of Class Show" located in Scottsdale, Arizona in April.

legendtommytoc08.jpg

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

A lot of factors to look at here. A tall horse with poor conformation won't be able to jump as high and nicely as a shorter more correct horse. Some conformation faults can actually enhance jumping ability though...... I'd say as a general rule(even though it's tough to generalize here on this topic) if everything else was equal, the taller horse will jump higher, and look better doing as it won't have to work as hard. But then the "heart" of the horse matters too. There was a tiny little black horse at worlds this year who placed in the top 3 in jumpers..... I use to show a 31" mare that could jump 34" easy, and I show a 33" gelding now who caps out at about 26". It really depends on the horse.

That's sooooo Cool!!! I wish they had Hunter/Jumpers for Donkeys. We have something that is called Coon Jumping, that is simmilar. We have to walk the donkey up to the jump, and they jump it. If the knock it down there disqualified, and if they trot up to it they are discqualified. Once everyone has jumped at that hight, you move up a hole. you keep doing it untill you have a winner. Personally i don't like it, They use full wooden standards, and wooden poles. And many donkeys are pushed up over the jump, and crash threw it. I think it's irrisponsible as a Owner, to let this happen, as a owner/handler you should know what hight your donkey can jump.

It would be really cool, to have a hunter and jumper class in our shows. For the donkeys, we are broken up int Mini, Standard, and Mamoth. some thimes Standard and Mamoth are combind....

Well here is a picture of Aura, She's my coon Jumper. She has jumped her own hight, safely.

jumping2.jpg

And here is Leia, She can clear jumps, if she has a running start. I lounge her over samall jumps, just about every day.

jumping-1.jpg

they are both 38 in i think,

I am getting a kick out of this old thread because in 2006, on page 1, we had only one mini that jumped. Now we have 5. They range from about 30" -34" and have very different styles and abilities but they all seem to like it. As a matter of fact, several of them (Cowboy especially) stand by the gate and BEG for their turn when they see the others jumping! I don't go for height as much as form and consistency - and enjoyment. Here is our latest, Ruby (winning a hunter class at New England Pinto in September with a much younger handler).

080920-D010.jpg

I dunno how high this particular jump is but my girl can jump pretty high. I have seen her leave even more space then this popping over this particular jump. She use to be scared of jumping over jumps on the line and now isn't. I should start working her again and getting her some jump confidence but seems I never get the chance to. Always something going on.

8e217702.jpg

I remember this thread from a few years ago... Its neat to see how everyone is progressing!

This is my 32" gelding, MLF Echos Danny Boy. He is a 2 time AMHA World Top Ten in Jumper(took 3rd this year) and is an AMHR National Top Ten(3rd). He has topped out between 42" and 44" but not exactly sure where. My jumps at home only go up to 38" so I am quite happy with how Danny has done in the show ring. He is finally starting to come together as a height jumper, and just needs a little work this winter. This is a picture from the Eastern Regionals this year. Danny won the Open and Youth Jumper.

Regionals08006.jpg

Unless you do AMHA jumper classes, as Kristina does with her minis, why would you want to jump your horse much more than 30 inches?

We do AMHR Jumper and train our minis to clear the height limit of 30 inches. Heights much more than that are only going to hurt your time. Our minis are trained to skim over the poles. If you train your minis to jump 40-plus inches, that's great for AMHA, but the minis will become accustomed to over jumping. And that means slower times.

In general I don't worry about how high but at home just to see how he does my stallion Spoofer clears the 42 to 44 range but overall the height's are alot lower than that when I practice.

Part of why I decided to try it is that he seems to love jumping over stuff so much

Latest posts

Back