What should I do with this mane?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi.

I can't decide what to do with Kevin's mane. He has torn out a chunk of hair in the middle and it looks horrible. The little terror, I spent months growing it out. I don't know if he tor it out playing, scratching or when they scratch eachother.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I can't decide whether to just leave it or bring it back so its even and grow it out again.

2ppk174.jpg

4hpdsw.jpg

You could just leave it to grow out, the little stinker. Another option is to take a clipper blade and run the teeth through the underneath of the long part of the mane to thin and shorten it a little so it will match the missing part.

It won't take long to all grow out evenly.

If you don't have a clipper blade, you might try thinning scissors.

Good thing he is so handsome or you'd really be mad at him!

Looks like a chew spot from the others "grooming" him. I might shorten the part near his withers a little bit at a time as the center grows out until the short part eventually meet the longer.

I would just keep it like that and let it grow out, while using a mane tamer/lycra hood to keep it in place to help train it to lay properly as it grows out

My colt, Turbo did the same thing to his mane last fall. I left the rest of the hair long and applied MTG to the crest. It has all grown back to where it is barely noticeable.

Thanks
default_smile.png
He is lucky I love him Marsha, but how can you stay angry at that face lol.

I have been gone for 3 days skiing for Easter, I was planning when I get home to do something with his mane... I came home to this..

vmruxl.jpg

Only Kevin. All the others are fairly tidy.

With the Clipper blade suggestion, I think I know what you mean, I have a "Razor comb"? Its like a comb, with a razor blade in it. Could that work, we bought it for thinning manes but it also cuts them.

Mona, I was actually looking to buy a lycra hood for him, but I can just see him tearing it apart, He is the little 'terror' of the herd and finds any opportunity to get dirty and destroy things.
default_smile.png

AmySue, Where can you purchase 'MTG'? And a rough cost on it? I think it will also help on the girls tails as they have torn them up.

You should be able to get it or something very similar at a feed store or tack store. Ive been using the "Black Caviar" equivalent on one of my big guys as he does the same thing.

Ask at your feed store , there are plenty of ones around OR you could easily make your own
default_smile.png

Mix 1/4 cup organic human hair conditioner with 1/4 cup baby oil or mineral oil in a spray bottle. Add up to 2 cups water and shake the mixture. Mist the mixture onto your horse's hair and leave it for up to 10 minutes; this also conditions dry and brittle hair. Comb or brush it through to remove tangles.

Awesome, making my own sounds more convenient at the moment for me.
default_smile.png

Do you think Coconut Oil will work the same as Baby Oil, I just know that when I wash my own hair with Coconut oil it grows like crazy. And do you have to hose/wash it out after you apply it do you know?

I think I might do that and put the stuff Ryan suggested in it, hopefully it will help. Now I just have to bath the little rat.
default_thumbdown.gif
That's a whole new bunch of fun.

Yay! I have finished Kevin!

He doesn't look so bad now. He had a nice bath and now is all soft and fluffy. I was going to leave it as it was, but it was driving me mad. So I got out my razor comb, thinning scissors and a comb. I also clipped a fresh bridle path cause his was WAY overgrown.

I don't think I did TOO bad being my first time evening out a mane. Its all mostly even and nice and thin. He was such a good boy too. He had a little nap while I plaited it all lol. So this is the result.

They are all in plaits, but when I put him away I'll take a photo with the plaits out.

2a015dc.jpg

9svx3p.jpg

sl7hbp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken out the plaits now. I got my mum to get me some Baby oil. I made up the stuff for his mane I also added coconut oil in with the conditioner and baby oil. Now I hope to see some results over time.

How often should I put the mixture in his hair?

1zczjoj.jpg

2uxvhae.jpg

24eriv7.jpg

I hogged Major's mane. Actually I usually do every spring. His mane gets very heavy. Anyway... I love love love him with a hogged mane. It was a little scary at first but I quickly found out that it grows back just as thick, long, and beautiful.

Looks great Carly
default_smile.png
Monitor it is your using it , you shouldn't need to use it everytime you brush his mane.

Im sure he will enjoy having a good roll now he is looking super
default_new_rofl.gif

Thank you
default_smile.png
I might put it in a few times a week, I don't think putting it in everyday will be the healthiest for his mane. His mane was much nicer this morning, it was very soft, whereas yesterday it was very dry. I might even use it on all the horses.

Oh he did.. He loved it. And just my luck we are expecting some rain... Grr.

Latest posts

Back