What pattern is my filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyenes

Reaction score
Hi, I will admit to not being very familiar with the pinto patterns as I mostly breed for appaloosas. But with the purchase of a new stallion who I believe is a pintoloosa a couple years ago I ended up with this filly last spring. I love her to death, but I'm just not to good on the patterns, she is a silver dapple and has two blue eyes. Also are there testing that should be done on this filly for genetics?? Oh I just wanted to ad she is a weanling in these photos.Thanks Joyce
zoey2.jpg

zoey1.jpg

Cannot tell you the color, but she is beautiful!!! :new_shocked:

I'd say she definately has splash and possibly sabino going on... What does sire and dam look like>?

She's splashed white for sure! Could be carrying another pattern as well. What do her sire and dam look like?

She's marked a lot like my 2 yr old splashed white filly, Redrock Flastacular, who we showed last year to an AMHA World Championship and more!

2-07FlashtacularWorldShow1.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the nice commets on Zoey.

Her dam is a Silver Dapple, 100% sure of this. She does have a very small white star.

Her sire is a pinta loosa. He is basically white with blue eyes, does have some faint greyish spots on his rump. When he is wet you can see some pinto marking, a blaze for sure. Here is a picture, but not sure if it will help or not.
ceaser2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pretty girl!!! Any more recent photos? Very nice!

She sure looks at least splash to me too.

Correct me if I'm wrong.......but one way to tell the difference between an overo and tobiano is -- with the tobiano the color comes down off the horse's back. With the overo the color comes up from the belly like a "splash of paint"....?

If this is true, then wouldn't she be a splash Tovero?
default_unsure.png
:

MA

i LOVE those blue eyes!! she's stunning!!!
default_wub.png
: awww silver dapple pintos are awesome and splashes are one of my fav's. beautiful girl!!! :538:

she looks to carry splash just like the others said.
default_yes.gif
: may or may not be sabino, and it wouldn't hurt to test for LWO. she doesn't particularly look it, but testing is good.

there is no test for splash right now, but i would guess that she is.

love her markings!

Correct me if I'm wrong.......but one way to tell the difference between an overo and tobiano is -- with the tobiano the color comes down off the horse's back. With the overo the color comes up from the belly like a "splash of paint"....?

MA

Not a complete truth... an all white horse can be a max sabino, which is one of the patterns lumped under "overo" Once the pattern takes on more white, that rule flies right out the window!

As for this pretty horse, I"d say splash and sabino. I wouldn't waste my money on the sabino test though, it only tests one of the many sabino genes. I'd test for frame just to make sure, if she has it, you never breed her to another with frame.

Jessi

Thank you everyone for your help. So your saying she is a splash white possible tovero or sabino. I should only test for the frame gene then. Thanks this helps me a lot. Joyce

Back