What markings is she?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
Look at photos, see what you think, thanks!

1002181_490093547749711_1070502972_n.jpg
1271176_490093764416356_926963327_o.jpg

I'll let more experienced people answer your question but just want to say she is gorgeous!

She is gorgeous, I would definitely test her for LWO as if you are breeding her to an LWO+ overo you need to make sure she is negative or you run the risk of a lethal white foal. You could also test for other stuff out of curiousity. Looks Tobiano and Sabino for sure but guessing Splash too. If you test for Sabino or Splash they dont give you a for sure answer if they are negative as there are only tests for a limited number of the types so far so they can tell you for sure if they have one of the known types but even if they test negative it doesnt mean they dont carry it. Hope that made sense :D

Thank you Maple Hollow farm! It's so confusing so all input appreciated!

Her colorful background includes Sonoita Spellcasters Fire And Ice, X-Calibers Spellcaster, Freeman Hills Masquerade, Pecan Groves Remarkable Marketta, Lucky Four Apache Double Take, La Vista's Remarkables Remarkable, and goes back to Kegley, Komoko, Soats, NFC, Dell Terra, and Rowdy bloodlines! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly test her for LWO and make sure the stallion has been tested as well so you know you are breeding a "negative" to a "postive." Remember, you can't tell LWO visually. There are plenty of basically "solid-looking" horses from some breeding lines that test "positive" for LWO.

She's simply beautiful!!

She is very nice and I can see where she might have gotten so many color patterns! Having Rowdy in her background I would definitely check her for lethal white overo before you breed her. If she is LWO positive it means if you bred her to a LWO+ stallion you would have a one in four chance of a lethal white foal. But as long as you breed her to a LWO NEGATIVE stallion you have NO chance of a lethal white foal and exactly the SAME chance of getting a nicely colored overo foal. I would guess she carries splash (blue eyes and white on chin), sabino (roaning), tobiano, and a good chance that frame overo (LWO) is in there too. What a genetic gold mine!!

As stated, the white hairs in the colored patches indicate sabino, color on the sides of the face is a tobiano, white down the face can and lack if color over her lower body/belly as well as the blue eyes may indicate splash and or overo. The only truely nessicary thing to test for is LWO (lethal white overo) since, as already stated, if she is positive you never ever want to breed her to a LWO positive stud. If she is negative, you can safely breed her to any stud of your choice, no testing needed on the stud unless it is for your own curiosity.

All other testing is just to satisfy curiosity and find out if she is heterozygous or homozygous for a trait. Homozygous means she will always pass a copy on to her foal.

Lovely girl!

Thank you " castle rock"....I will have her tested for LWO for sure :) How would you describe her visually?

I appreciated everyone's help here! :)

"Carolyn R" and "Targetsmom" I super appreciate the input. I just never know how to describe her visually. At this point maybe I could describe her as a "medicine hat sabino splash tobero???? I've owned horses since 1978, and pretty hip on tobiano, and I can recognized an obvious overo vs. tobiano....but I get lost when it comes to the different overo patterns! :) I will have her tested for LWO as I may bred her to an overo stallion in the spring. I learned she has some frame overo horses in her lines....plus tobiano, and tobero. Thank you for the compliments on her too :)

She looks like she carries a little bit of everything pattern wise. I love what Sabino does to the edges of the spots.

I've not heard the term tobero... It's usually tovero that refers to tobiano/overo patterning... Gorgeous mare, though!

I call the sabino 'fading' roaning as opposed to Roaning (true roan). You'll find that a whole bunch of Minis have been 'misdiagnosed' roan instead of sabino... For instance, I'm convinced "Roan Ranger" was in fact a sabino, not a roan...

I believe the term is "tovero" - check out the definition and example photos here: http://www.apha.com/breed/tovero

Tovero

(pronounced: tow vair' oh)

Dark pigmentation around the ears, which may expand to cover the forehead and/or eyes.

One or both eyes blue.

Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots.

Chest spot(s) in varying sizes. These may also extend up the neck.

Flank spot(s) ranging in size. These are often accompanied by smaller spots that extend forward across the barrel, and up over the loin.

Spots, varying in size, at the base of the tail.

Technically, there is only 1 overo and that is frame (send in dna for testing for all pinto patterns and there are "tobiano", "splash", "sabino", and "overo" on the list-all very different from each other). Before there was more research, overo was coined as anything other than tobiano-which is why tovero was used to describe tobiano with anything other than tobiano. Research has come a long way since then. Will be hard to get away from the term "tovero", but since we know sabino and splash are not overo, well it gets confusing to use it. Registries just don't keep up with color and pattern research-especially the larger breeds.

Magic Marker-I am pretty sure you are correct about Roan Ranger.

Latest posts

Back