What makes a pintoloosa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my view a pintaloosa is a horse that has both pinto and appaloosa coloring that you can see. It can be loud characteristics of pinto and appy or it could be small (common example is a tobiano pinto horse with a frosted blanket with a few spots). Appaloosa it is true cannot hide BUT it can be quiet for many years before characteristics show up. Pinto patterns generally what you are born with is what you get except in a few instances like sabino roaning.

If one parent is appy and one pinto but the horse has no appy characterisics at say five years I would not call it a pintaloosa. If it was born pinto looking and didn't develop appy characteristics I'd call it a pinto (and to be more specific I may say "appaloosa and pinto bred".

Tobiano cannot hide, however overo pinto can and commonly does. Those horses you see out of a pinto or both pinto parents that is born with say just sox and a big wide blaze may not be called a pinto by many but by those who study or follow genetics it can be called a minimal pinto- particularly if the sox are over hocks and knees.

Generally in my opinion (experience and observations) tobiano to appy if the foal gets both appy and tobi coloring - the tobi tends to overshadow the appy coloring. Where you get the neat and interesing combos is when you breed overo to appy and get foals with blankets as well as high socks and/or big white faces with or without blue eyes.

Tammie

(who's been breeding pinto, pintaloosa and appies for quite a long time and studies color genetics )

Magic said:
rabbitsfizz said:
I'm very much afraid Pinto /Appy does have to show in oder for it to be one or the other- that is the whole point- if it does not have the pattern, it is not the pattern
laugh.gif

440886[/snapback]

Rabbit, so are you saying that the foals I have that are born solid but later "app out" are NOT appaloosa when they are born, but then somehow become appaloosa later???
wacko.gif
I was always under the impression that if a horse carried the appaloosa gene, it was an appaloosa, whether it was loud-colored, or practically solid but had some characteristics. If they are appy, they are BORN with the gene.

440890[/snapback]

I dont think all appys are born with a appy color gene and we all know that solid horses true solids born of appy breeding wont pass on appy color.

I think the key is characteristics... and most appy breeders do know what to look for and it can be slight like sclera, or striped hooves or a spot on the privates and horses who appear solid but have the charcteristics will usually color out to one extent or another some just get mottling and that is there color.

But all of that said I have seen horses there were born solid and stayed solid out of a appy parent

no different then a bay born from a buckskin doesnt mean it carries a dilute gene or is dilute ok that wasnt the best example
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif
but i mean just cause a horse has one or even 2 appy parents doesnt mean it will be an appy but you just need to know what to look for

Last edited:
WOW took a turn.......

pintaloosa as a color is a combination of pinto and appaloosa tada easy
biggrin.gif

what gets heated and difficult is the fact that outwardly both of these genes that cause this can hide and in reality there are more than a couple genes that cause the pinto.

Add to this that appaloosa purists want ZERO pinto and pinto purists want ZERO appaloosa........so this color is only seen in a very few breeds and in grade animals.

Lets not argue all the pinto in the appaloosa breed there are plenty of other boards for that
wink.gif

I know for a fact that 2 horses that by all appearances are solid can produce a sabino yes I have seen it with my own eyes several times all it takes is a couple white hairs which can often be passed off as scars, age, blemishes........

And there are app's who may only show 1 characteristic who go on to produce loud appaloosa coloring......so it can appear to skip when in reality it is just really really hidden.

For the record the Pinto registry will not register mini's with Orion in the back ground because he was pintaloosa and they do keep tabs on pedigrees with known appy breeding.......

Latest posts

Back