What kind of worms??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I need help to figure out what kinds of worms there are. In a pile of poo ( I was right there when the horse went) I found 2 small, 1/2 inch long, white, tiny worms. They were pretty thin. Im thinking mabe a baby ascarid?? They were not tapes, small or large strongyles, or winworms. Ne never itches his dock/anus or anything so im not thinking pins.

Any ideas???
default_no.gif

Edit: They were still live and moving, and the day before I wormed him with Ivermectin.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably round worms. they look like short peices of wiggly spaghetti? Those are the most common type i've ever seen in horses.

Yes, likely immature ascarids/roundworms(different terms, same worms!)

Margo

I need help to figure out what kinds of worms there are. In a pile of poo ( I was right there when the horse went) I found 2 small, 1/2 inch long, white, tiny worms. They were pretty thin. Im thinking mabe a baby ascarid?? They were not tapes, small or large strongyles, or winworms. Ne never itches his dock/anus or anything so im not thinking pins.

Any ideas???
default_no.gif

Edit: They were still live and moving, and the day before I wormed him with Ivermectin.
Alex --

Maybe you are not estimating the weight of the horse correctly with your weight tape? As Ivermectin gets rid of nearly everything except tapeworms, but not if you don't dose enough. There's that formula that was designed specifically to "weigh" miniatures and it is done differently than the way you can measure to weigh biggies.

How To Weight A Mini -- Not the Same Proceedure as for Biggies

Good luck,

Jill

He weighs between 185 and 200 lbs. I wormed him w/ a 25O lb dose.

Would it be Ok to worm him w/ Equimax today? He got Ivermectin on Feb 28

He weighs between 185 and 200 lbs. I wormed him w/ a 25O lb dose.

Would it be Ok to worm him w/ Equimax today? He got Ivermectin on Feb 28
Was he last wormed 2/28? Or yesterday as you said at first? If he was last dewormed over a month ago, yes, it is fine to give him Equimax today.

For whatever it is or is not worth, when I deworm with Ivermectin and Equimax, I aim to dose 100# more than I feel they weigh and this has my vet's seal of approval.

I didnt say I wormed him yesterday. I said the day before the day I wormed him. Meaning I found the worms 2/29.

Thank you Jill

Okay, I misunderstood thinking it was recently that you discovered live worms after deworming, not realizing it was 5wks ago.

I thought and was pretty sure they were ascarids. I came to the forum for insight and help.
default_smile.png

I believe that it has been 'suspected' for some time that it is NOT a good idea to use ONLY invermectin for deworming, at any age. I certainly would NEVER use ONLY ivermectin to deworm, especially young stock!

Pinto28, it should be OK, time-wise, to deworm your horse again, but I would not recommend using Equimax, which is a combo of ivermectin and praziquantel. If roundworms(ascarids) are becoming resistant to ivermectin, giving yet another ivermectin dewormer this soon, even in combo w/ praziquantel, which is basically only to get rid of tapeworms, is probably not the best approach. I would recommend a fenbendazole--Safeguard or Panacur--and as recommended in the article in the link provided by Kellie in OR.

Various kinds of rotational deworming have LONG been recommended--though sometimes, it's been thought best to use 'every time' dewormer class rotation, and at other times, to use a 'slower' rotation, using the same 'class' for as long as a year, then switching to another 'class' for the next year, etc.....I follow my own instincts/experience, and have sometimes used the same 'class' twice in a row, but never more-then change 'class'--again, for never more than two in a row, at least for adult stock. I also prefer to use a 5 day 'purge' for encysted small strongyles once a year(sufficient under my particular personal circumstances), and a 2 day 'purge' for tapes once or twice a year, using the recommended dewormer classes for those worms. I do not use any form of moxidectin(Quest) for minis, nor do I use any combo w/ praziquantel....out of personal choice, because I believe the purges work best.

Your best bet, for you personally, would be to double check w/ your own vet, who would know YOUR circumstances, and could verify what should be the best program for YOUR horses.

Best wishes,

Margo

Latest posts

Back