What kind of rasp do you use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot

Reaction score
I have always used Save-Edge . I love them. But they have gone up to $23 dollars a rasp and I hate it. I do get free shipping so I probably shouldn't fuss. But I thought I might try another brand. Anyone use Bellotas?

Emma

Sorry I am no help Emma, but I would like to know as well. The rasp and nippers that I have came from Atwoods, our local farm store. They are awful! I can barely use the nippers with both hands!
default_wacko.png
If anyone has recomendations on good nippers also, I would really like to know.

I don't think you can beat a Bellota for the price. Simmons tends to gum up when it's fresh and you have to keep brushing the rasp out. It does stay sharp for longer. Save Edge is inconsistant and lately doesn't seem to stay sharp as long.

Try

http://www.alvinfarriersupply.com/

I've been getting my bellotas there for $16.50 I find it easier to use a regular length rasp. Too much arm action on the pony size.

Thanks Journey's End. I will give the Bellota a try. Thanks for the website with the good price. I think I will try one of the mini 10inch rasps too Jill just for the few mini's I do. I use a regular rasp on the mini's and I think any extra time I spend is fanagling the rasp under their belly. Might speed me up abit.

I have tried the Simmons before. (Was desperate) I hate hated it. Funny one of my mentors used Simmons and loves all their stuff. Not me! Ugh. Glad someone else complained.

Emma

I got mine at the local tack store and cost me $26. I have had it for 2 years and it is still going strong.

I just PMd Emma, but to anyone else reading this thread. There are two types of Bellotta rasps.

The top sharp is super coarse on one side and coarse on the other.

The classic is coarse on one side and fine on the other. The classic is the type you normally use, unless we've been without rain for two months and you're chislin concrete.

Just wanted to clarify before anybody removed all their knuckles.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back