What kind of hay do you feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to feed Alfalfa to my horses in MN. But moving down to Florida, Alfalfa is $18 a bale. Since I go through about 50 bales a month, it is too cost prohibitive. I got lucky and was introduced to a farmer who grows nothing but costal hay for horses. He supplies a good portion of the hay for the Ocala area, which is BIG horse country and was not taking on any more customers. He took me on :) and I now buy all of my hay from him. All of his hay is stored in a hugh barn, both square bales and round bales. I just call when I need hay and run down to pick it up. The horses eat every bit of it! As a matter of fact, I gave them a little Alfalfa the other day, and they preferred the costal grass. Right now I feed the square bales, but once rainy season is over, i will go to round bales. I found a slow bail feeder that I am ordering, to keep them from eating too much, but allowing them to "graze" all day.

Riverdance please let us know which feeder you are getting and how you end up feeling about it
default_please.gif
I am always on the lookout for a good slow feeder. I recently ordered a slow feed hay net for round bales to try on the big horses, but I dont think the holes will be small enough for the minis.

In all my years of having minis, I have always fed timothy hay & timothy soaked pellets and have been such a big believer in this diet. I recently acquired a mini (4 year old) who just wasn't looking quite right as far as body weight and I just changed her diet - added alfalfa hay. I think the extra protein will be beneficial; it's only been a couple weeks so it's too soon to tell, but I do think this will help out. Sure worth a try!

Liz N.

Jax,

The name of the hay slow hay feeder is Slow Buddy feeders. The holes are 1.5", so the Minis can graze off of it, but not be able to take mouthfuls at a time. I am waiting for a check to come in, and when it does I will be ordering four nets. I am tired of loosing 1/3rd the hay bales. Then in the spring I have to go out and scrap up all of the waste and dump it. What a waste!

Latest posts

Back